Bad news: Spencer Long to have a knee procedure

turtle28

This may be a "let's see what we have in Rouiller" dodge for now. If he doesn't show well against the Bengals, I suspect Mangold's phone will be ringing.

Kind of wish we had kept John Sullivan around now.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:46 PM, Woz said:

This may be a "let's see what we have in Rouiller" dodge for now. If he doesn't show well against the Bengals, I suspect Mangold's phone will be ringing.

Kind of wish we had kept John Sullivan around now.

Sullivan did the smart move, go to LA to become a starter. 

3 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Redskins_Giants_Football-019cb.jpg&w=480

What the hell is Leribus doing in that play? He's literally has a WLB blitzing in the gap he should be at and he has his back to the rushers while he's watching Chris Thompson block someone.

Kory came off another block to dive and push Calias away from Cousins. As long as Scherff & Moses are blocking their men fine, Cousins should have a nice pocket to step into to make a pass.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What the hell is Leribus doing in that play? He's literally has a WLB blitzing in the gap he should be at and he has his back to the rushers while he's watching Chris Thompson block someone.

Kory came off another block to dive and push Calias away from Cousins. As long as Scherff & Moses are blocking their men fine, Cousins should have a nice pocket to step into to make a pass.

Thinking about what he's going to eat for dinner.  

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yet we kept him on the roster for four years. O.o

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Yet we kept him on the roster for four years. O.o

That's because Shanahan drafted him and we didn't have anyone better. Remembering 2015 our running game was chumming along until we had our LG & C go out for the year and Long & Leribeus had to replace them. Then, our running game went in the crapper, speaking of which... who's our center now? And how is our running game doing?

if Gruden was so worried about the center position, why didn't they make Sully the starter after Long got hurt last year and re-sign him to be the starter this year?

Damn>:(! Could be a colossal mistake. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

That's because Shanahan drafted him and we didn't have anyone better. Remembering 2015 our running game was chumming along until we had our LG & C go out for the year and Long & Leribeus had to replace them. Then, our running game went in the crapper, speaking of which... who's our center now? And how is our running game doing?

Of course, the LG who went out for a year when our running game was "chumming along" is also starting and they still look doodoo.

20 minutes ago, Woz said:

Of course, the LG who went out for a year when our running game was "chumming along" is also starting and they still look doodoo.

The point is that maybe some of it has to do with the like calls from the center. Cooley said they all look confused and Long is calling out the wrong player as the mike LB at times. I also heard Long made a lot of mistakes last year when calling out assignments which hurt our run game.

Could it be we are blaming the wrong OL for most of the issues? 

Sure Lauvao isn't good as well but if Long keeps screwing up his job at center it's hurting the entire OL & others. I forget who it was - maybe Keim or Cooley - but they said on the radio that most people just keep blaming Lauvao but the OL has multiple players making mistakes on every play, knocking the TEs - who aren't great inline blockers either. They said it was almost impossible to decifer who's making the mistake on a given play because so many of them mess up. It's either one of three things:

1. Callahan - I doubt it

2. Long is screwing up the calls - probable 

3. Our entire OL isn't good at run blocking - not likely because we've seen them dominate in the run game before, all be it with a different center.

I just looked up the one game that Sullivan played in for Long last year and it was vs the great Vikings defense. We rushed for 128 yards as a team, Kelley had 97 himself they game.

Just now, turtle28 said:

1. Callahan - I doubt it

2. Long is screwing up the calls - probable 

3. Our entire OL isn't good at run blocking - not likely because we've seen them dominate in the run game before, all be it with a different center.

If you want to put it all on Long's shoulders, so be it. He's part of the failing 2014 draft class (@MKnight82, can you believe that Morgan Moses of all people may be the only one who qualifies as a hit out of that draft?)

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

If you want to put it all on Long's shoulders, so be it. He's part of the failing 2014 draft class (@MKnight82, can you believe that Morgan Moses of all people may be the only one who qualifies as a hit out of that draft?)

I'm not putting it all on one guy, but the play/calls/missed calls of the C does seem to be an issue. We all know Lauvao is a weak link, but it doesn't seem like he or Scherff is getting much help from their C.

It's very true, last year the draft class looked better than it does now.

Archived