Packers Draft Position Thread AKA Tankathon 2018

MacReady

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Since it is now official that we can only look forward to 2019, and even though we don't want to lose on purpose, it is time to root for teams higher than us to win while being okay with losses as long as we try hard to win. 

I will update this as the season goes on:

Key:

Red = Cannot get a better pick than.
Purple = Better pick with them winning and us losing.
Blue = We get a better pick with them winning OR with us losing. 

1. Arizona (3-12)
2. Oakland (3-11)
3. San Francisco (4-11)
4. New York Jets (4-11)
5. Detroit (5-10)
6. Tampa Bay (5-10)
7. Buffalo (5-10)
8. New York Giants (5-10)
9. Jacksonville (5-10)

10. Atlanta (6-9)
11. Carolina (6-9)
12. Cincinnati (6-9)
13. Denver (6-9)

14. Green Bay (5-8-1)
15. Miami (7-8)
16 Washington (7-8)

All other teams are guaranteed to pick lower than us. 

The highest we can draft is 10th overall.  The lowest we can draft is 17th overall.

Upcoming important games for draft position: Bold is Best to Win

Broncos have to beat the Raiders tonight. 
Dolphins HAVE to beat the Bills. 
Redskins beating the Eagles is unlikely. 

Meh, we're picking 16th overall.  It's almost a foregone conclusion at this point.  At least we get to start another Lambeau Field winning streak against the Lions a year early. 

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Purple = Would get better pick than if they won out and we lost out.

6. Atlanta (5-9)
7. Detroit (5-9)
8. New York Giants (5-9)
9. Tampa Bay (5-9)
10. Buffalo (5-9)

11. Green Bay (5-8-1)

Just wanted to point out that we don't need the purple teams to win out... we just need them to win one more game than us. If we lose both and they win 1, we pick ahead. If we split and they win both, we pick ahead

Great post!

If the Packers beat the 4-10 NY Jets coached by the soon-to-be fired Todd Bowles and QB'd by floundering rookie Sam Darnold and follow that up with another win over the tanking 5-9 Detroit LIons over the next two weeks, it will do as much to promote a "winning culture" in 2019 as the 2017 OT victories over the winless DeShone Kizer led Browns and the hapless 4-8 TB Bucs did to promote a winning culture in 2018.

Nothing.

Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Bryan Bulaga, and of course Aaron Rodgers should be done for 2018 as should any other relevant player who might have even a minimal injury.

The Pack could easily have 3 of the top 39 picks in the upcoming draft, including a top 7 pick, if they lose out.

Conversely, two meaningless wins could mean picking in the bottom half of the first round.

The hoped for outcome should be obvious.

14 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

If the Packers beat the 4-10 NY Jets coached by the soon-to-be fired Todd Bowles and QB'd by floundering rookie Sam Darnold and follow that up with another win over the tanking 5-9 Detroit LIons over the next two weeks, it will do as much to promote a "winning culture" in 2019 as the 2017 OT victories over the winless DeShone Kizer led Browns and the hapless 4-8 TB Bucs did to promote a winning culture in 2018.

Nothing.

Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Bryan Bulaga, and of course Aaron Rodgers should be done for 2018 as should any other relevant player who might have even a minimal injury.

The Pack could easily have 3 of the top 39 picks in the upcoming draft, including a top 7 pick, if they lose out.

Conversely, two meaningless wins could mean picking in the bottom half of the first round.

The hoped for outcome should be obvious.

I'm all for IRing guys and raiding practice squads. Nico Sarigusa was a great "get." Gute should IR Jones, Clark, and Bulaga and get three more. There has to be 3 PS guys on the 31 other teams that could help us next year. Another guard. Maybe a safety or LB. It's like adding 4th and 5th round picks!

By nature I'm competitive and would like us to compete to the bitter end but when logic is applied we have to accept that this represents a very rare opportunity to get an early draft pick. The opportunity to pick earlier may not come our way again for a while should we get a good Head Coach and that Rodgers rebounds. Having two 1st round draft picks is even rarer.  We need to grab this opportunity with both hands.

We need to make the most of Rodgers final years and the best way to do that is to get as early a draft pick as possible. This achieves two objectives....the short term for Rodgers super bowl window and the long term to ensure as many blue chip players on our roster on rookie contracts. By the time Rodgers is done we can use his cap money to reinvest in our blue chip players at the end of the rookie contracts.

Tanking also means having a better quality team to surround the next GB quarterback.

We need to put our ego aside and think about the future- both short and long term. I hope Gute/Murphy instructs Rodgers to sit. The decisions we make now will critically affect the Packers in the next 10 years.  New head coach, new offensive and possibly defensive systems, two 1st round draft picks, Rodgers window and preparing the team for the next GB quarterback.

This is the biggest Packers offseason for over a decade. We need to get this right.

Just now, Chili said:

By nature I'm competitive and would like us to compete to the bitter end but when logic is applied we have to accept that this represents a very rare opportunity to get an early draft pick.

Yep, this is the closest I have ever come in my entire life to wanting a team I've rooted for to lose.  Still can't swallow that fighter mentality I have and root for losses, but I will NOT be upset by losses. 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep, this is the closest I have ever come in my entire life to wanting a team I've rooted for to lose.  Still can't swallow that fighter mentality I have and root for losses, but I will NOT be upset by losses. 

You need to watch more NBA games.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Since it is now official that we can only look forward to 2019, and even though we don't want to lose on purpose, it is time to root for teams higher than us to win while being okay with losses as long as we try hard to win. 

I will update this as the season goes on:

Key:

Red = Cannot get a better pick than.
Orange = Unlikely to get a higher pick than.
Purple = Would get better pick than if they win out and we lose one, OR if we lose out and they win one. 
Blue = Would have to lose twice and we would have to win twice to get worse pick.
Green = We just have to match or do worse than their win/loss total the rest of the way.

1. Arizona (3-11)
2. Oakland (3-11)

3. New York Jets (4-10)
4. San Francisco (4-10)
5. Jacksonville (4-10)

6. Atlanta (5-9)
7. Detroit (5-9)
8. New York Giants (5-9)
9. Tampa Bay (5-9)
10. Buffalo (5-9)

11. Green Bay (5-8-1)
12. Denver (6-8)
13. Cincinnati (6-8)
14. Carolina (6-7)
15. Cleveland (6-7-1)

16. Miami (7-7)
17. Washington (7-7)
18. Philadelphia (7-7)

All other teams are guaranteed to pick lower than us. 

*If the Browns finish with one more win, they are guaranteed to pick AFTER us due to their strength of schedule.  We cannot tie with any other teams since we have the tie.  The Browns play the Bengals (in Cleveland, so this is an important chance for them to secure a worse pick than us)

*If we have one more loss, we are guaranteed 15th overall or better. 

*Vikings cannot finish with an earlier pick than us due to their higher SOS. 

Upcoming important games for draft position: Bold is Best to Win

Saints at Panthers

Packers are guaranteed to pick higher than the Panthers with one Panthers win and a Packers loss, or two Packers losses or two Panthers wins. 

Washington at Tennessee

Packers are guaranteed a better pick than the Redskins with one Redskins win or one Packers loss. 

Giants at Colts

Packers have to lose twice and the Giants have to win twice to get the Packers picking higher than the Giants.

Texans at Eagles

Packers are guaranteed a better pick than the Eagles with any Eagles win or any Packers loss.

Jaguars at Dolphins

The Jaguars would have to win two (Dolphins, Texans) and the Packers would have to lose two to get a higher pick.  It's best to guarantee the Dolphins finish higher than us because a Dolphins win or a Packers loss guarantees the Dolphins pick is worse than ours. 

Bengals/Browns

This one could go either way.  A win from either team and a loss from us guarantees we finish higher.  Probably root for Browns here since a win from them guarantees we have the better pick than the Browns.

Buccaneers/Dallas

It would take two Tampa Bay wins and two Packer losses to be higher than Tampa Bay. 

Detroit/Minnesota

If Detroit wins this game and against us, they get a worse pick than us. 

Buffalo/New England

Two Buffalo wins and two Packer losses put us ahead of them. 

Falcons/Panthers

Best option depends on who wins Panthers/Saints tonight. 

Chicago/San Francisco

Two San Francisco wins and two Packer losses put us higher than them. 

Denver/Oakland

We cannot finish with a better pick than Oakland, but one Broncos win and one Packers loss or two Broncos wins gets us a higher pick. 

Don't we already have a draft thread? Adding more just waters things down. 

Archived