2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

I want Malik Jefferson on this team.  Absolute adore his game.  Probably going to go at completely the wrong range for Jaguars, and also...would probably be extremely double-redundant-ish.  But man, love me some crazy fast playing speed instinctive aggressive LBers like that.  Somebody is going to get a good one there.

16 hours ago, Jags said:

A couple of points on Lamar Jackson that you'll notice from his game against NC (has all the passes in the video above) that were pointed out by a former scout (Bucky Brooks): 

He does have the arm strength to make all the throws on the field. He just shows inconsistency and the throws on the wide open out routes (I noticed 7:40, 10:45, and 11:35 in the video) are inaccurate and difficult to watch. There are more inaccurate throws, but they are not as bad as the ones listed.

Scouts believe that it's only footwork/ throwing mechanics, but we've now had issues with 2 QBs drafted in the top 10 who had throwing mechanics and accuracy problems. I'm not sure if people are ready to give this another try. With that being said, he has a good command of short passes and his timing seems to be great on those routes. He has shown improvement and I hope he continues to do so. To be a great QB you must be able to have timing and accuracy. If he improves his intermediate and deep accuracy and shows consistency on throws and footwork, he could be the best player in the league (his ceiling is seriously that high). 

Keep an eye out for the Louisville vs Clemson game to see how he performs against top tier talent. 

Did not love Jackson's game today vs Clemson at all.  They gave him some real trouble in dictating a bit of what he was able to do.  The thing that really bothered me...down badly with the pressure on to come up with something...he seemed to retreat into his comfort zone of tuck the ball and run around, trying to use his legs to generate a spark.  Just don't like that from a potential top NFL quarterback prospect.  Wanted to see him respond by stepping up and using his legs to open things up for his arm...and it just didn't happen.  Just sort of reinforced my concerns that he may be more Manziel/RGIII than a guy who is going to develop into a Russell Wilson.  When the chips are down...he becomes a running QB.

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Not sure what that has to do with my post. If you watched him today he made several seriously stupid throws/mistakes. Whether you have talent around you or not those are awful decisions.

As for Matt Miller, blah.

When u have minimal talent at your skill guys u try to force things cuz its the only thing u can do.  Decision making can be improved where as actual talent can not.  His mechanics are fine. Just needs to make better reads. People tend to forget whike he is a junior he missed a good portion of time last year if i remember correctly.  Decision-making usually improves with experience. 

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Did not love Jackson's game today vs Clemson at all.  They gave him some real trouble in dictating a bit of what he was able to do.  The thing that really bothered me...down badly with the pressure on to come up with something...he seemed to retreat into his comfort zone of tuck the ball and run around, trying to use his legs to generate a spark.  Just don't like that from a potential top NFL quarterback prospect.  Wanted to see him respond by stepping up and using his legs to open things up for his arm...and it just didn't happen.  Just sort of reinforced my concerns that he may be more Manziel/RGIII than a guy who is going to develop into a Russell Wilson.  When the chips are down...he becomes a running QB.

As i said ive never wavered from the rg3 comparison. While rg3 was a bust it doesnt help him when hes forced to be something hes not.  If he was allowed to be the same scheme from his rookie year then things probably would be different.  If luck sonehow demanded and forced a trade id offer them all the picks this year for him. 

Mock i did on Fanspeak
YOUR PICKS
1: R1P6

QB JOSH ROSEN
UCLA Gotta have a QB. 
2: R2P6

C MASON COLE
MICHIGAN i think he can play 5 positions so start somewhere on the Line. hes currently sitting at LT for Michigan. 
3: R3P6

TE MARK ANDREWS
OKLAHOMA pass catching TE
4: R4P6

LB JEROME BAKER
OHIO STATE Just BPA. Baker-Jack-Smith would be a real Speed Show.
5: R5P6

CB M.J. STEWART
NORTH CAROLINA CB Depth,
6: R6P6

RB AKRUM WADLEY
IOWA Backup rb For Fournette

7: R7P6
OT David Bright 
Stanford Oline Competition
7: R7P10

EDGE JALYN HOLMES
OHIO STATE Pass rush help

Round 1 Pick 4: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA (A+) starting qb
Round 2 Pick 4: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (A-) starting tackle
Round 3 Pick 4: Mason Cole, C/OT, Michigan (A) starting c/g
Round 4 Pick 4: Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma (A) nickle corner
Round 5 Pick 4: Tyrone Crowder, OG, Clemson (A) starting g
Round 6 Pick 4: Andrew Wingard, FS, Wyoming (A+) safety depth
Round 7 Pick 4: Darren Carrington II, WR, Utah (A-) 7th round gamble on a higher upside wr

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 10 (BUF): Derwin James, SS, Florida State (A+) Starting Safety. easily a top 5 Talent. 
Round 1 Pick 29 (BUF): Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville (A+) this is about where i value Lamar at. 
Round 2 Pick 4: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (A-) Parnell gets Replaced
Round 3 Pick 4: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A) we get a pass catching TE.
Round 3 Pick 10 (BUF): Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana (A-) we add a bigger bodied wr whos got some athleticism(possible number 2/3 WR type to replace benn on ST)
Round 4 Pick 4: Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma (A) Nickle Corner
Round 5 Pick 4: Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State (A) Backup RB. big athletic, pass catching RB. hes played lot of positions so hes a bit raw but i think we could use a guy like him that could be a 3rd down back.
Round 6 Pick 4: Dante Booker, OLB, Ohio State (B+) Possible starting LB or Depth. 
Round 7 Pick 4: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (A)hes not a name cuz hes been a backup for 3 years but hes breaking out this year and i think hes a worthwhile prospect. 

16 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

No drafting of Safeties.  I will not allow it.  Church and Gipson are fine.  Fix the actual glaring problems handicapping this team.

so u pass on one of the best Prospects in this Entire draft cuz u have Church and Gipson? Gipson hasnt been great and his Deal only has 2.4 Million in dead in capspace if we cut him.  sure hes looked better with Church next to him but i dont see a reason to pass up one of the best prospects in the draft Cuz Straight needs Based drafting gets you in trouble. Use FA for Needs and draft BPA mixed with need. 

James can even play LB in spurts as hes done with FSU.  it was Him or Christian Wilkens as Both the QBs i consider as true Franchise guys were picked.  Wilkens would be a good pick but i mean we are crazy deep at his Position with Jackson, Campbell, Day.  i would even give James a look as a potential Corner depending on how he runs and how his hips look. 

30 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

so u pass on one of the best Prospects in this Entire draft cuz u have Church and Gipson? Gipson hasnt been great and his Deal only has 2.4 Million in dead in capspace if we cut him.  sure hes looked better with Church next to him but i dont see a reason to pass up one of the best prospects in the draft Cuz Straight needs Based drafting gets you in trouble. Use FA for Needs and draft BPA mixed with need. 

James can even play LB in spurts as hes done with FSU.  it was Him or Christian Wilkens as Both the QBs i consider as true Franchise guys were picked.  Wilkens would be a good pick but i mean we are crazy deep at his Position with Jackson, Campbell, Day.  i would even give James a look as a potential Corner depending on how he runs and how his hips look. 

Gipson has been very good this year. Was playing well in the preseason and has played very well so far in the regular season.

You don't pass on a safety because we have those two, but you do pass on him because we have no QB, an OL with a few holes to fill potentially, AND no premier edge rusher. Give me any of those over a safety in a second.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Gipson has been very good this year. Was playing well in the preseason and has played very well so far in the regular season.

You don't pass on a safety because we have those two, but you do pass on him because we have no QB, an OL with a few holes to fill potentially, AND no premier edge rusher. Give me any of those over a safety in a second.

well outside of rosen and Darnold i dont see a QB of Value at 10.  could go oline but as u see i address the Oline in round 2 with McGlinchey setting up Robinson Vs McGlinchey for LT with Loser going to RT and cutting Parnell. Ngakoue is a Premier Edge Rusher.   you talk like theres Premier Edge Rushers available but i dont see the true Dominating Pass rushers on the edge outside of Key who in his own Right has some questions both personally(off the team for entire spring for some issue) and Medically(shoulder).  Landry to me is Nagkoue JR.  Ferril to me isnt that true edge rusher. hes more of a LE to me.  keep telling me where these Premier Edge Rushers are in this Draft. 

to Pick a Guard or C in the top 10 Is Bad Business. 

like i said it was Wilkens or James. i feel James was a slightly better prospect. 

note i did pass over Barkley and Guice both who are also top 10 talents cuz theres No way in HELL we pick a RB early barring some huge Catastrophic injury to fournette.

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

well outside of rosen and Darnold i dont see a QB of Value at 10.  could go oline but as u see i address the Oline in round 2 with McGlinchey setting up Robinson Vs McGlinchey for LT with Loser going to RT and cutting Parnell. Ngakoue is a Premier Edge Rusher.   you talk like theres Premier Edge Rushers available but i dont see the true Dominating Pass rushers on the edge outside of Key who in his own Right has some questions both personally(off the team for entire spring for some issue) and Medically(shoulder).  Landry to me is Nagkoue JR.  Ferril to me isnt that true edge rusher. hes more of a LE to me.  keep telling me where these Premier Edge Rushers are in this Draft. 

to Pick a Guard or C in the top 10 Is Bad Business. 

like i said it was Wilkens or James. i feel James was a slightly better prospect. 

note i did pass over Barkley and Guice both who are also top 10 talents cuz theres No way in HELL we pick a RB early barring some huge Catastrophic injury to fournette.

You may be low on the QB's, Edge rushers, etc. but it's also September 18th with a TON of games/things left to be seen. If there is an option at QB or DE that is valued in this area, I'm taking that guy easy. Our safeties are not the problem. 

Ngakoue is not a premier edge rusher. He is very solid but he isn't a guy that is going to consistently beat his man/be a 12-15+ sack guy like we need. Maybe he continues to develop and turns into that but I don't feel comfortable with him and Fowler as our only two edge rushers.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

You may be low on the QB's, Edge rushers, etc. but it's also September 18th with a TON of games/things left to be seen. If there is an option at QB or DE that is valued in this area, I'm taking that guy easy. Our safeties are not the problem. 

Ngakoue is not a premier edge rusher. He is very solid but he isn't a guy that is going to consistently beat his man/be a 12-15+ sack guy like we need. Maybe he continues to develop and turns into that but I don't feel comfortable with him and Fowler as our only two edge rushers.

again the consenus at this point is theres 2 QBs, 2 Possible Edge rushers, 1 DT, 3 DBs, 2 RBs in the top 10.  U can safely eliminate RB from the board. theres no need to draft another rb in round 1.   so your really looking at 8 guys possibley. its fairly safe to say the 2 qbs will go by pick 5 so in that scenario they were out of the picture. 

also interesting thing i noticed is that they seem to have some guys like a Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph sitting there in round 3. 

Archived