2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

4 minutes ago, Jags said:

That sounds like the perfect opportunity for the Jaguars to pick up either Drew Brees or Alex Smith and let Jackson sit for a year or two while learning from a solid pro QB or future HOFer. 

sounds like a Wasted Pick when we have these Other Needs Besides QB if we picked either of them up ;) 

give me this Years Dak Prescott Baker Mayfield in the midrounds.  

Just now, LinderFournette said:

sounds like a Wasted Pick when we have these Other Needs Besides QB if we picked either of them up ;) 

give me this Years Dak Prescott Baker Mayfield in the midrounds.  

You are riding Mayfield's coattails really hard, aren't you? Break him down for me. Please. Seriously. It's difficult to find college tape and I want to know what makes him special besides his swag?

Just now, Jags said:

You are riding Mayfield's coattails really hard, aren't you? Break him down for me. Please. Seriously. It's difficult to find college tape and I want to know what makes him special besides his swag?

Cuz hes a total Bad ***. 

while most QBs if they scrambling around tend to look for a lane and go Baker actually goes and keeps his head up and looks and locates his recievers. i know his scheme doesnt help him but  i think hes a Guy whos willing to put in a ton of work to be the Guy(he was a truefreshmen walk-on starter at Texas Tech and transfered when he got beat out by Davis Webb) and then transferred to Oklahoma where it was questionable whether or not he would even get to play. 

heres the comparisons: Johnny Manziel(better Passer, worse runner but Playing style they are kinda similiar), Colt McCoy,  and how about Russell Wilson(a weaker armed one).

if theres 1 thing to love about Mayfield its that hes confident in his abilities. i love his mobility because while he doesnt run the ball much he utalizes it to help buy time for his guys to get open and then fire them the ball Accurately(i mean u dont average 68% for 3 years and 4 games for no reason) and he seems to keep the turnovers down.

Much rather spend appx a 3-5th on him then spending say a 1 or 2 jackson. 

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

Cuz hes a total Bad ***. 

while most QBs if they scrambling around tend to look for a lane and go Baker actually goes and keeps his head up and looks and locates his recievers. i know his scheme doesnt help him but  i think hes a Guy whos willing to put in a ton of work to be the Guy(he was a truefreshmen walk-on starter at Texas Tech and transfered when he got beat out by Davis Webb) and then transferred to Oklahoma where it was questionable whether or not he would even get to play. 

heres the comparisons: Johnny Manziel(better Passer, worse runner but Playing style they are kinda similiar), Colt McCoy,  and how about Russell Wilson(a weaker armed one).

if theres 1 thing to love about Mayfield its that hes confident in his abilities. i love his mobility because while he doesnt run the ball much he utalizes it to help buy time for his guys to get open and then fire them the ball Accurately(i mean u dont average 68% for 3 years and 4 games for no reason) and he seems to keep the turnovers down.

Much rather spend appx a 3-5th on him then spending say a 1 or 2 jackson. 

This is not impressive. I'm not saying that he couldn't be good in this league, but I'm not too fond of the cockiness I'm seeing and a few holes in his game. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned it before, but Manziel and McCoy are very bad comparisons. That doesn't leave him much room to grow or improve.

Him and Manziel have a similar swag and level of confidence. The pros mentally ****** Manziel and he's out of the league. Now Baker doesn't seem like such a party goer so maybe he'll put a little more time into his game. Seems like a good kid whose walking that fine line between confidence and cockiness.

Colt McCoy didn't have the arm talent to be a good QB in the NFL. Ran a gimmicky college offense and he has transitioned into a solid backup QB.

The Wilson comparison seems a bit off. Wilson had all the tools coming into the league. Great arm, nice touch and accuracy, solid footwork, leadership mentality, mobility, smart, consistent, not involved in trouble, well spoken, seemed nice and even looked good. He got knocked down because he was barely 5 foot 11. Their arm talent is completely different. Not to mention that Wilson is a bit faster than Baker (better overall runner). Not to mention that Wilson was also coming out of a pro style offense. If he was 5 inches taller, he would've been a top ten pick. 

Now the completion percentage in college is skewed. The spread and the way the offenses are ran with short passes help increase the overall completion percentage with short passes. McCoy completed over 70% of his passes in college and even Tebow completed over 66%. Manziel had a high completion percentage also (69%). Our very own Blake Bortles completed almost 66% percent of passes on only threw 19 INTs in 3 years compared to Baker's 24 in the same time span. Every guy on this list has had their numbers highly skewed by the spread type of offenses played in the collegiate level. Mayfield's overall accuracy is not impressive. 

Overall he seems to be another project player, but one we'd end up spending a 3rd to a 5th on, but expecting him to never become a top 10 QB, but a guy just good enough to win some games (his ceiling) and show enough leadership to win a SB if the rest of the team is at a high enough level to carry him there and he'll enough things happen in order to secure the win (of course after being developed behind a QB). He'll never have the arm talent to wow you on throws or make all the throws, but he'll be able to extend plays in the pocket and wow you occasionally by keeping the team alive.

Former Pro Scouts Take on Baker Mayfield: 

Mayfield has a long way to go before he's ready to man the position at the next level. His accuracy on drive throws is concerning and he needs to be more firm with his throwing base when inside the pocket. His feet get very busy and he doesn't establish a foundation to place the ball accurately at the intermediate level. I love his creativity, but there are times he passes up easy completions while hunting for the big play that's not there. He doesn't need to be so greedy; just take what's there and move on to the next down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000821714/article/first-look-scouting-oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

What about Derwin James game yesterday against NC State?

Seriously, acting as if a guy can have no bad games is just ridiculous. Clemson is a powerhouse of a team. 

The thing is...Derwin James having some bad stuff on tape doesn't in any way actually make Lamar Jackson a better Quarterback.

But i think that just plays to where this thread went from there, in that it's still early and a lot of things can change.  Getting caught up in who is supposed to go where is often silly enough on draft day, even more silly at this point in the year.

The QBs as a whole seem to be mostly continuing to reinforce their respective questionmarks.  Which is...unfortunate.

8 hours ago, Jags said:

This is not impressive. I'm not saying that he couldn't be good in this league, but I'm not too fond of the cockiness I'm seeing and a few holes in his game. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned it before, but Manziel and McCoy are very bad comparisons. That doesn't leave him much room to grow or improve.

Him and Manziel have a similar swag and level of confidence. The pros mentally ****** Manziel and he's out of the league. Now Baker doesn't seem like such a party goer so maybe he'll put a little more time into his game. Seems like a good kid whose walking that fine line between confidence and cockiness.

Colt McCoy didn't have the arm talent to be a good QB in the NFL. Ran a gimmicky college offense and he has transitioned into a solid backup QB.

The Wilson comparison seems a bit off. Wilson had all the tools coming into the league. Great arm, nice touch and accuracy, solid footwork, leadership mentality, mobility, smart, consistent, not involved in trouble, well spoken, seemed nice and even looked good. He got knocked down because he was barely 5 foot 11. Their arm talent is completely different. Not to mention that Wilson is a bit faster than Baker (better overall runner). Not to mention that Wilson was also coming out of a pro style offense. If he was 5 inches taller, he would've been a top ten pick. 

Now the completion percentage in college is skewed. The spread and the way the offenses are ran with short passes help increase the overall completion percentage with short passes. McCoy completed over 70% of his passes in college and even Tebow completed over 66%. Manziel had a high completion percentage also (69%). Our very own Blake Bortles completed almost 66% percent of passes on only threw 19 INTs in 3 years compared to Baker's 24 in the same time span. Every guy on this list has had their numbers highly skewed by the spread type of offenses played in the collegiate level. Mayfield's overall accuracy is not impressive. 

Overall he seems to be another project player, but one we'd end up spending a 3rd to a 5th on, but expecting him to never become a top 10 QB, but a guy just good enough to win some games (his ceiling) and show enough leadership to win a SB if the rest of the team is at a high enough level to carry him there and he'll enough things happen in order to secure the win (of course after being developed behind a QB). He'll never have the arm talent to wow you on throws or make all the throws, but he'll be able to extend plays in the pocket and wow you occasionally by keeping the team alive.

Former Pro Scouts Take on Baker Mayfield: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000821714/article/first-look-scouting-oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield

Like i said i would rather spend a mid round pick on Mayfield and try to develop him then spend a likely 1st or 2nd on jackson. It makes more sense as it would allow us to address other needs as we would still be having Jackson riding the pine for (pick your vet qb).  

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

Like i said i would rather spend a mid round pick on Mayfield and try to develop him then spend a likely 1st or 2nd on jackson. It makes more sense as it would allow us to address other needs as we would still be having Jackson riding the pine for (pick your vet qb).  

So it doesn't matter if we have a QB of the future or an answer at the QB position after that vet QB is done?

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The thing is...Derwin James having some bad stuff on tape doesn't in any way actually make Lamar Jackson a better Quarterback.

But i think that just plays to where this thread went from there, in that it's still early and a lot of things can change.  Getting caught up in who is supposed to go where is often silly enough on draft day, even more silly at this point in the year.

The QBs as a whole seem to be mostly continuing to reinforce their respective questionmarks.  Which is...unfortunate.

If you want another good film/game to watch for jackson i would suggest checking jackson vs nc. State on october 6th.  States secondary is meh but their front 7 is solid with their dline have 3 possible draft picks. 

42 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

58 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

I'm watching Baker and I see a poor man's Johnny Manziel. Not as athletic and doesn't make those wowing plays as much, but they have the same game. He could be Manziel if he wasn't such a off the field wreck and focused more on football. Then again, Mayfield has done some silly things himself, but here's to hoping that's all in the past. 

http://newsok.com/article/5541302

If cops can tackle him like that, what do you think an NFL player is going to do to him? 

34 minutes ago, Jags said:

I'm watching Baker and I see a poor man's Johnny Manziel. Not as athletic and doesn't make those wowing plays as much, but they have the same game. He could be Manziel if he wasn't such a off the field wreck and focused more on football. Then again, Mayfield has done some silly things himself, but here's to hoping that's all in the past. 

http://newsok.com/article/5541302

If cops can tackle him like that, what do you think an NFL player is going to do to him? 

Well for starters they wouldnt be tackling him into a wall and also no pads plus he was intoxicated so he probably wasnt moving at his best. 

I wouldnt be that worried. This team under coughlin showed they are willing to give 2nd chances to guys.  

Yes he has some flaws as a player but none of the qbs it appears in this class at this time are flawless.  Worse case with baker is you got a career backup qb with a midround pick and that isnt bad afterall most mid round-late picks end up as depth. 

He has a good enough arm and is fairly accurate and has some good mobility. Ill take that all day. 

Archived