2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

Just now, iPwn said:

Pro-ready basically scout speak for “plays an offense that NFL teams stopped running 10 years ago, but we still value it because we love our antiquated view of scouting”

next make sure you bring up football iq and intangibles and other things that you cannot measure that are just words for tall white with a rocket arm

This team passes from under Center on 26% of passes. The other 74% are out of the shotgun, pistol, etc. Only one team in the NFL passes from under Center on more than 43% of their passes (48%), and that team still hasn’t won a game.

Someone explain to me why the hell I should care if a QB spends his whole college career in an offense he won’t be running at the NFL level?

10 minutes ago, Its A Sabotage said:

so you had the foresight that a clearly blown out knee would happen at home in the playoffs on that terrible field and then ruined his entire career due to it? pryor was a very good qb who got thrown into a bad spot by terrible coaches when he was hurt and continued to tear the knee that entire game but

k

Sounds to me like he is just saying that with RG3's playstyle and the fact that he uses his legs that he was bound to get hurt and not be the same at some point.

Just dont agree with that.

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Mike Shanahan destroyed RGIII's knee.

Yup. Not going to count RG3 as a reason not to draft Lamar. If anything hes a reason to draft him imo. Hell of a player until dumbass coaches ruined him.

7 minutes ago, Its A Sabotage said:

so you had the foresight that a clearly blown out knee would happen at home in the playoffs on that terrible field and then ruined his entire career due to it? pryor was a very good qb who got thrown into a bad spot by terrible coaches when he was hurt and continued to tear the knee that entire game but

k

I never said i predicted the specific incident that would spell the end for him, that's an absurd straw man.  Just that 1)i don't think RGIII was ever as good an actual passer of the football as he was made out to be, and 2)was bound to get injured sooner or later, because that's what happens to quarterbacks who build a large part of their game around running with the football.  

It's a fairly proven recipe for not reaching that nebulous "upside" that is always associated with running QBs.

You can blame coaches or bad fields or whatever you want...but those are all things that happen in an NFL football season.  As far as i'm concerned, there's a pattern there.  These types of quarterback get beat up and miss games, get their legs bitten off by bad field turf monsters, and as with most players...lose their mobility over time.  The initial wow factor of running QBs doesn't charm me much with that downside looming.  Where it's rare to see the running QB who evolves into the stud pocket passer when their legs fall off - because the QBs who can dominate through the air tend to just do that in the first place, instead of running the football around.  It's more efficient and less fraught with injury risk.

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yup. Not going to count RG3 as a reason not to draft Lamar. If anything hes a reason to draft him imo. Hell of a player until dumbass coaches ruined him.

That's all it really is for me.

If you look at RGIII's career and say..."yep, that's what i want in a QB" and pin his entire injury situation and ultimate failure as a QB on "dumbass coaches", i just can't get on board.

Why exactly, was RGIII not able to succeed as a QB even after Shanahan allegedly went above and beyond in causing him to blow out his knee?  Why was RGIII not able to adjust his game and become a successful "passing quarterback" when more confined to the pocket?  That's the question that needs to be answered.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

He personally went out there with a baseball bat and bashed in his career.  I saw it.  It happened.

I can build straw men also.  :)

I mean, he basically did with the way he managed him. Go look up thr article about how careless he was with his knee.

May not have taken a bat to it, but he my as well have.

46 minutes ago, .Buzz said:
56 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

He personally went out there with a baseball bat and bashed in his career.  I saw it.  It happened.

I can build straw men also.  :)

I mean, he basically did with the way he managed him. Go look up thr article about how careless he was with his knee.

I was sick to my stomach watching him that game and it was apparent that it wasn't going to end well.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Okay, but yet again...even if we go with "Shanny may as well have taken a bat to RGIII's knee", that's fair enough...that does not at all explain why he was never able to carve out a career for himself as an NFL starting quarterback after his knee was relatively "healed up".  Enough to at least move around like a functional pocket passer.

Good quarterbacks can play the position without running a blazing 40 yard dash.  RGIII couldn't do that.  When the consistent run threat was gone, his days as a starting quarterback were numbered.

2 hours ago, iPwn said:

Pro-ready basically scout speak for “plays an offense that NFL teams stopped running 10 years ago, but we still value it because we love our antiquated view of scouting”

"Pro Ready" is basically a meaningless platitude.

To say a guy is coming out of a "Pro Style" offense can mean a little bit though.  Not a decisive factor, but it's not entirely meaningless.  At least, in the sense that it generally means you've seen a guy run a huddle, calling plays, take snaps under center, make adjustments at the line...and make more sophisticated reads.  It's just a small added measure of confidence that the guy will be able to do those things at the next level when you've already seen them do it.  You're not just purely *projecting* those elements.

But it doesn't really work the other way around as a serious knock on a guy who hasn't done some of those things.  The fact they haven't done some of that in college doesn't automatically mean they aren't entirely capable of doing so.  It just means they haven't been seen doing them on Saturday.  Just makes it a bit more of a leap of faith on those particular aspects of the position.

Ultimately, as long as they do indeed have the faculties to operate the NFL offense you intend to put them in...the most important thing is still whether they can handle pressure and make "pro style" throws.  Which you can see evidence of in all kinds of systems.

As to @iPwn's earlier question of favourite prospects for the Jaguars top pick...it's tough.  This is the first year in a long time where i'm honestly not sure where the Jaguars are actually going to be picking at the end of the year.  Usually it's just sorta...throw out a Top-5 or so and we're guaranteed one of them.  Easy to pick favs.  Not so easy this year.

Been focusing a lot on getting a look at top QBs more than anything too.  Which unfortunately, i haven't been too enamored with any of the top names.  If we don't find a QB somewhere else though, it's going to be awfully hard not to at least take a swing on one of them.  :S

Spending a 1st on a receiver is probably off the table for me, unless something stupid happens with ARob.  Not too enamoured with what i've seen of the top WRs or TEs anyway.

Malik Jefferson the Texas LBer is one of my favourite prospects i've watched, but i'm not sure how another speedy instinctive "space" LBer would fit here.  Going defense in general would feel a bit off to me actually.  Eventually gonna have to offset the aging of Calais and i wouldn't turn down a dominant edge rusher...but that unit is actually looking more than adequate right now.  Seems like you're going influence the W-L column more next year by addressing the massively weaker side of the ball that is actively costing you games.

OLine is where it feels like a good need/fit/value might happen.

I like both the Notre Dame OL guys McGlinchey and Nelson quite a bit.  Depending on how far up the draft order we slip, Quenton Nelson might be a bit of a "reach" positionally...but he's really impressive, and with the league-wide OLine crisis, i wouldn't be upset at all with a high quality Guard in the teens.  Mitch Hyatt and Billy Price are intriguing too.

But who knows.

Archived