2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

They won't.

It's a dark time rn with our QB situation and LG/RG/RT problems, but good lord. lol. We aren't firing/ditching Marrone after one season of being the HC with Bortles attached at his hip his first year after being one of the worst QB's in the NFL last year.

If this season goes anywhere near as badly as it's setting up to be...I'll be furious if they let Marrone and this staff pawn everything off on Bortles being bad. 

This isn't even a new staff. This is a largely undeserved 2nd chance for mostly the same clowns that were on the sidelines of nearly the worst teams ever. They cannot get another free pass. 

Especially when it's their own darn fault signing on to this whole Bortles arrangement out of desperation anyway. 

7 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Theres 4 seemingly worthwhile free agents. Be interesting if we chased them instead of pinning hopes on somehow hitting on a qb. The last good qb we hit on was garrard back in 2002 when he was picked in round 4

Which 4 Free Agent options?

Just now, Tugboat said:

If this season goes anywhere near as badly as it's setting up to be...I'll be furious if they let Marrone and this staff pawn everything off on Bortles being bad. 

This isn't even a new staff. This is a largely undeserved 2nd chance for mostly the same clowns that were on the sidelines of nearly the worst teams ever. They cannot get another free pass. 

Especially when it's their own darn fault signing on to this whole Bortles arrangement out of desperation anyway. 

Literally every position coach is new. Our OC took over at that spot midseason last year and improved our run game drastically after being arguably the worst in the league to top 5-8 in several categories running the ball. If we have a bad year than I could most definitely see a brand new DC for sure, and pending on how things go maybe a new OC, but the actual HC won't get fired unless something drastically bad happens and he shouldn't, regardless of your thoughts/views on him.

If we go 3-13 or worse, than sure, I could see there being a chance. But no one truly expected this to be anything more than a 7-9, MAYBE 8-8 if Blake improved drastically type of year. You think we fire him if we go something like 5-11, maybe 4-12? Guess it may depend how bad it is but I don't see that happening. Like I said, if we have that type of a year the DC and possibly OC will be out and if a position group is just absolutely atrocious maybe one or two of them, but I don't see them dumping Marrone.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

If Wash and Hackett are gone, there’s no justifiable defense to keeping Marrone. He chose them both, and chose them both because they are his two best friends. 

Guys hire their buddies all the time. Coughlin did the same thing when he went to NYG, hiring past friends/co-workers of his. As for Wash, what makes you think he's "best buddies" with him? Guess I haven't seen that before. 

HC's end up getting new shots on coordinators all the time. 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Literally every position coach is new. Our OC took over at that spot midseason last year and improved our run game drastically after being arguably the worst in the league to top 5-8 in several categories running the ball. If we have a bad year than I could most definitely see a brand new DC for sure, and pending on how things go maybe a new OC, but the actual HC won't get fired unless something drastically bad happens and he shouldn't, regardless of your thoughts/views on him.

If we go 3-13 or worse, than sure, I could see there being a chance. But no one truly expected this to be anything more than a 7-9, MAYBE 8-8 if Blake improved drastically type of year. You think we fire him if we go something like 5-11, maybe 4-12? Guess it may depend how bad it is but I don't see that happening. Like I said, if we have that type of a year the DC and possibly OC will be out and if a position group is just absolutely atrocious maybe one or two of them, but I don't see them dumping Marrone.

3-13 or worse is a stupendously low bar. That's laughable. Even 4-12, eeking one more meaningless win out of this team...it's unacceptable. This isn't a brand new to the franchise coach walking into a brand new rebuild mandate. You can't continue to give abject failure a pass and at the same time trumpet all that bullcrap about accountability and "a results based business". That's insane. If the team takes that approach, there are going to be so many more dark years ahead and they're going nowhere. 

57 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Guys hire their buddies all the time. Coughlin did the same thing when he went to NYG, hiring past friends/co-workers of his. As for Wash, what makes you think he's "best buddies" with him? Guess I haven't seen that before. 

HC's end up getting new shots on coordinators all the time. 

You're treating Marrone and his staff like a brand new outside hire. With a blank cheque for sucking because it's the start of a rebuild or something. That's not what this is.  

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

3-13 or worse is a stupendously low bar. That's laughable. Even 4-12, eeking one more meaningless win out of this team...it's unacceptable. This isn't a brand new to the franchise coach walking into a brand new rebuild mandate. You can't continue to give abject failure a pass and at the same time trumpet all that bullcrap about accountability and "a results based business". That's insane. If the team takes that approach, there are going to be so many more dark years ahead and they're going nowhere. 

Good lord, again, when did I say that's acceptable? I never did. Heads will roll if that happens as it should. All I'm saying is I don't expect the HC to get the axe after one season unless some crazy bad things happen. He just isn't. So if you want to be set up for disappointment like it seems, may as well just accept the fact that Marrone WILL be the HC next season barring some insanely bad season.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

You're treating Marrone and his staff like a brand new outside hire. With a blank cheque for sucking because it's the start of a rebuild or something. That's not what this is.  

So because he was an OL coach on the previous staff we should assume that everything is the status quo and a continuation from Gus Bradley?

Tom Coughlin came in, did a whole search of the HC's and interviewed candidates he saw fit, and picked Marrone. Unless Coughlin comes down and decides to take over coaching duties we aren't just going to fire a HC after one season unless there is some seriously bad stuff that occurs this season. It just isn't.

It surprises the hell out of me people think that is going to happen. No idea what makes any of you guys think that is a strong possibility. As I said prior, if things get really bad/there is no progression from this team than who knows, maybe it will, but as long as we aren't picking top 3-5 Marrone is highly likely this coach in 2018.

13 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Also, yes, I am treating this staff as a new hire. Marrone was the OL coach, you think as an OL coach he had authority over this team? All the position coaches are from outside the organization as is our ST coordinator...so yes, I do think that this staff is "new". The only people holding the same position/having the same power as last year are Wash and Hackett who wasn't even able to instill his own playbook because he didn't take over til week 10.

I don't love this situation we're in any more than you, but I also don't see how people think we're going to dump a HC who was just hired after a season barring some serious troubles/problems. Coughlin did a HC search (not Caldwell), and came up with Marrone as the guy. Unless Coughlin decides to have a quick trigger finger or wants to come down and coach, I really don't see why he'd be out after this year. 

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Good lord, again, when did I say that's acceptable? I never did. Heads will roll if that happens as it should. All I'm saying is I don't expect the HC to get the axe after one season unless some crazy bad things happen. He just isn't. So if you want to be set up for disappointment like it seems, may as well just accept the fact that Marrone WILL be the HC next season barring some insanely bad season.

What consistutes an "insanely bad season" though? How low have the standards been dragged here?  That an interim head coach made full time head coach who picked his coordinators from among existing staff...wouldn't or shouldn't be sent packing? How low is that threshold?

When Marrone was hired...what was an acceptable season that we hired this guy to coach the team supposedly ready to take a step forward with all this young talent? Can't back off on that now that the preseason happened and they look as bad as ever, on track for a season Gus Bradley could've coached them to. Lol. 

53 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So because he was an OL coach on the previous staff we should assume that everything is the status quo and a continuation from Gus Bradley?

Tom Coughlin came in, did a whole search of the HC's and interviewed candidates he saw fit, and picked Marrone. Unless Coughlin comes down and decides to take over coaching duties we aren't just going to fire a HC after one season unless there is some seriously bad stuff that occurs this season. It just isn't.

It surprises the hell out of me people think that is going to happen. No idea what makes any of you guys think that is a strong possibility. As I said prior, if things get really bad/there is no progression from this team than who knows, maybe it will, but as long as we aren't picking top 3-5 Marrone is highly likely this coach in 2018.

I mean, I'm mostly just mad because what you're suggesting sounds exactly like something this franchise would do. Giving the same general bunch of guys yet another mulligan. I don't think it's acceptable, but you're probably right in that it will be reality. Just don't want to shrug shoulders and go "it is what it is" so that's okay.

You can only get away with blaming QBs for everything bad for so long. If the defense  continues to underperform the on paper talent? If the team continues to be inept at running the football when it matters?   This season? Those are things that get coaches in normal franchises fired. 

If it's going be another rebuilding of the rebuild after another failed season...just clean house and give the new guy a hand in actually crafting a team with vision. Where the coach and management build together and stuff. Not another year of Marrone because he was the only guy desperate enough to say he'd take on Bortles.

Is this franchise so pathetic we now owe coaches a debt of loyalty for even agreeing to come here? Lol. 

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Disagree. It's a pretty important spot. Especially in this day and age. Not to mention, Telvin is one of the precious few legitimate playmakers on this entire defence. 

Heaven forbid they do let so let him walk, maybe Jack steps in there and does alright. But it's still a step back on a team that can't afford steps back. Running on a stupid treadmill losing one of the few actually good players they've drafted.  

And whether or not Telvin walks...we still don't really have a quality future option at MLB or SAM. So...probably needs 2 LBers from somewhere. Even moving to a 3-4...probably still need a Poz replacement inside. 

Jack can play all 3 lber spots. Hes a quality future guy.  Blair brown looked fairly good in his playing time.   I believe ragland would beva great fit in a 3-4 ilb. Probably fairly cheap too based on their depth chart

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Jack can play all 3 lber spots. Hes a quality future guy.  Blair brown looked fairly good in his playing time.   I believe ragland would beva great fit in a 3-4 ilb. Probably fairly cheap too based on their depth chart

Eh, if Jack could really play all three spots...I'm not sure we'd have this musical chairs LBer whatever thing. I'm not really sold on Jack being anything more than just a guy until he actually shows something. 

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Which 4 Free Agent options?

Some are unlikely to reach free agency but theres Brees, stafford, cousins and jimmy g and aj mccarron(hes an rfa). Then you also have guys like Bradford, Bridgewater, savage.  Fairly decent options. Savage might be a decent shot in how he does as a starter.  Bridgewater would be a gamble but he could be a solid guy.  Aj looked solid when he replaced dalton. I know jimmy didnt look good against us but part of that was because he had arguebly the worst lt in the nfl. He showed be could manage a game.  The rest can speak for themselves. 

Archived