2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Why though? He's not even very good. I honestly don't see what people are loving about Rudolph other than a big tall guy with some gaudy numbers. 

have u watched him?

he also Fits the Parcells metric for QBs and outside of Mayfield theres a few but none are highly talked about. 

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Rudolph can barely throw an out route. He’s got a noodle.

and Jamarcus had a Cannon for an arm.  Meaning how far u can throw it dont matter that much. 

hes good not great arm strength. im pretty sure Keenum was considered the same way coming out so theres that. 

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Pocket presence, fairly accurate, and mobility in the pocket. Most people love those things about him.

I'm not even sure i'd give him "fairly accurate".  He basically spends 90% of every game doing like 3 things.  Dump off in the flat.  Lob it downfield left.  Lob it downfield right.  And half the time, it's to a guy running completely wide open down the field, who still ends up having to make a big adjustment and/or fight back to a short ball.  There's so little precision placement from Rudolph.  In part it's just the offense...but even within that and when you do see some more precision/timing stuff once in a blue moon, it's like...chuck it in their general direction rather than real "accuracy".  Placement and timing seem mostly an afterthought.

7 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

have u watched him?

he also Fits the Parcells metric for QBs and outside of Mayfield theres a few but none are highly talked about. 

I've absolutely watched him, and that's why i don't understand the fascination.  As a developmental backup project, i guess...whatever.  Why people "really really love Rudolph" though...?  The Parcells metric is fine as a rough guideline in red flagging guys who may be getting a free pass for "tools" or "small samples", but if the guy isn't a good QB...checking Parcell's boxes isn't going to make them not suck.

6 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Rudolph can barely throw an out route. He’s got a noodle.

Yeah.  I think it gets passed over a bit because there's these highlight packages of him landing a collection of deep shots or something, but his arm is really uninspiring.

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

and Jamarcus had a Cannon for an arm.  Meaning how far u can throw it dont matter that much. 

hes good not great arm strength. im pretty sure Keenum was considered the same way coming out so theres that. 

That's not why a strong arm is important.  It's not about how far downfield the guy can chuck it.  That's not particularly important, though it is frankly a huge amount of what Rudolph actually did at Oklahoma State.  How those balls are delivered is where you're left trying to gauge the actual arm strength in that offense though (because there isn't much else), and Rudolph sends up major red flags for me there.

The arm strength is about the ability to drive balls into tight windows with precision and timing at the next level.  That's where i don't see anything confidence inspiring out of what Rudolph has put on tape.

I mean, it's the same problem as Bortles.  He can heave it downfield just fine, and is often at his best doing so (even if there are plenty of underthrows and huge adjustments from WRs in there).  It's the ducks, floaters, lobs that don't fly when he needs to make those precise, tight window throws that hold him back from being the obvious answer here.  The reason he tossed so many darn pick-6s when they were asking him to make velocity throws to the boundaries giving defenders all day to break on them.

Citing Keenum as a "positive" example is shaky at best.  It took him how many years in the league on how many teams to get to where he is?  And still, is he even actually good?  Is Case Keenum the bar we're setting?  That's all well and good if you're looking for a serviceable backup QB project (and i'd buy Rudolph as that in the mid-rounds)...but to "really really like him"?  To draft him in the first, or even second round?  To expect that he's going to offer any legitimate competition or ability to step right in if Bortles falters?  Nah.

Arm strength isn’t about how far you can throw it. It’s about having the ball snapped on the right hash and being able to throw a 15 yard out route to the left sideline with enough velocity on the ball that a DB can’t break on the ball.

14 hours ago, iPwn said:

Arm strength isn’t about how far you can throw it. It’s about having the ball snapped on the right hash and being able to throw a 15 yard out route to the left sideline with enough velocity on the ball that a DB can’t break on the ball.

Exactly.  Which is where i have no faith in Rudolph's arm.  :/

16 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Exactly.  Which is where i have no faith in Rudolph's arm.  :/

if u wanna talk ball Velocity i got a Google doc for you.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-SienfT3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/htmlview?usp=drive_web&usp=sheets_home&ths=true&sle=true#

im not saying Bortles has great arm strength but he throws it harder then Watson. 

for everyone saying we should have trade for Tryod he throws it slower then blake by 6mph

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (B+) Starting G
Round 2 Pick 29: Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan (A+) Starting G/RT
Round 3 Pick 29: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A) Starting TE
Round 4 Pick 29: Chase Litton, QB, Marshall (A+) hes a junior but he seems like a good tools guy
Round 6 Pick 29: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin (A+) Replacing Colvin
Round 7 Pick 12: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+) FB Competition
Round 7 Pick 29: Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh (A+) WR Depth

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29: Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech (B+) athletic freak LB who would allow Jack to play ILB and offers some good Verstatility to our SAM position
Round 2 Pick 29: Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame (A+) Big WR to pair with our 2 smaller wrs under contract. 
Round 3 Pick 29: Frank Ragnow, C/OG, Arkansas (A-) Starting G
Round 4 Pick 29: Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford (A+) Possible Starting TE
Round 6 Pick 29: Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (A+) Future Backup QB
Round 7 Pick 12: Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada (A+) Just a BPA pick. 
Round 7 Pick 29: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+) FB Competition

8 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

if u wanna talk ball Velocity i got a Google doc for you.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-SienfT3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/htmlview?usp=drive_web&usp=sheets_home&ths=true&sle=true#

im not saying Bortles has great arm strength but he throws it harder then Watson. 

for everyone saying we should have trade for Tryod he throws it slower then blake by 6mph

We'll see what Rudolph actually clocks as.  But visually, you can see the way so many of his passes float and just hang out there in college.  There are times where he gets a bit more zip on it, and maybe in "maximum velocity" terms he might narrowly cross that minimum velocity threshold.  But functional, consistent velocity isn't just what a guy can put together on any one particular throw against air...it's about what sort of mustard the guy can put on the ball in game, snap after snap when it's needed.

Talking about guys like Watson and Tyrod as evidence that you can succeed in spite of lackluster arm strength isn't very compelling.  They're pretty much the only exceptions through that whole chart who fall below the velocity threshold and are actually serviceable or better starters.  Plus, with Watson...the jury is still very much out on how good he actually is.  And they're also both guys who lean heavily on their ability as a runner to make things work.  Which Rudolph does not have.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:05 PM, LinderFournette said:

Keenum has had 1 season better than below average. Having an elite arm doesnt matter but as fast as defenses are you have to be able to make all the throws 

On 2/8/2018 at 6:40 PM, LinderFournette said:

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (B+) Starting G
Round 2 Pick 29: Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan (A+) Starting G/RT
Round 3 Pick 29: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A) Starting TE
Round 4 Pick 29: Chase Litton, QB, Marshall (A+) hes a junior but he seems like a good tools guy
Round 6 Pick 29: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin (A+) Replacing Colvin
Round 7 Pick 12: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+) FB Competition
Round 7 Pick 29: Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh (A+) WR Depth

On 2/8/2018 at 6:48 PM, LinderFournette said:

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29: Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech (B+) athletic freak LB who would allow Jack to play ILB and offers some good Verstatility to our SAM position
Round 2 Pick 29: Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame (A+) Big WR to pair with our 2 smaller wrs under contract. 
Round 3 Pick 29: Frank Ragnow, C/OG, Arkansas (A-) Starting G
Round 4 Pick 29: Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford (A+) Possible Starting TE
Round 6 Pick 29: Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (A+) Future Backup QB
Round 7 Pick 12: Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada (A+) Just a BPA pick. 
Round 7 Pick 29: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+) FB Competition

Between these two, i could almost piece together a draft i'd be happy with.  I like about half of each.  But there's a lot of overlap between them obviously, by design.  And the placement of a lot of the players feels very random to me.

Archived