2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

12 hours ago, iPwn said:

Just a general thought. Find a good one and draft him. Or a receiving TE (who can block), but I don’t think Coughlin has ever been big on receiving Tight Ends

Yeah.  I just have a hard time envisioning how a true receiving threat move TE type would even fit within the sort of offense Coughlin obviously wants to run here.  Certainly don't see any OJ Howard/Evan Engram type bluechippers in this draft anyway.  Plenty of nice looking all'rounder types that should be available on Day 2, maybe even 3 of this draft though.

10 hours ago, iPwn said:

I just feel like we need some guys who can create separation regularly. It feels like aside from whe Hurnsy is healthy and ARob is 100%, we are always getting guys in tight windows. It’s rare that a guy gets a catch over the middle of the field 12 yards deep and has room to run free for a little bit.

I don't really mind the idea or disagree.  Especially in ARob's absence.  I do think some of the lack of separation deal is schematic, and about what Blake does as a QB though.  We don't tend to come out snap after snap and spread 'em out with a cluster of protected releases, rubs, and sophisticated route concepts all over the field.  Like the sort of thing that gave our own defense trouble at times.  Partly because of the obvious run heavy and play action emphasis.  But also, that's not what Blake does well as a QB anyway.  He's just not that pinpoint quick rhythm passer who is going to dink and dunk and consistently take advantage of "early separation", or throw with oodles of anticipation.  Generally seems to look most comfortable letting things develop and shake loose a bit before he chucks it, which is where the play action stuff often works nicely.  But also where we end up with so many contested catches.  Not just entirely about receiving personnel i don't think.

There are different ways of creating separation though.  And most of the guys in this draft seem to have one particular strong suit in how they do it, rather than the prototype "do it all" types.

Do we want a guy who is going to excel in creating quick window separation with agility and route running?  A guy who is going to create their separation by straight up running by guys and taking the top off?  A guy who can create that close quarters/jump ball separation with size, strength, using their body and catch radius?  A lot of different ways to win and create separation.  But seems like very few (if any?) in this draft who have the all the tools and demonstrated mastery to win any which way.  So you've probably gotta pick a flavour.  What's going to help Blake most, within the confines of the system we're going to run?

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i like sutton. kinda reminds me of Mike Evans.  Ridley and kirk probably are better at creating seperation tho. 

I do like Sutton.  I'm often a sucker for those "types" though.  I worry that he comes across as a bit of a one-speed athlete.  A bit like Treadwell a couple years back (who i also really liked :/).  Don't see the same imposing presence, improvisation ability with jump balls, or the same calibre of athlete as Mike Evans at all.  Not exactly what i think of when i think "creating separation" either.  Really curious to see what his combine looks like as an athlete.  See him as a really solid possession receiver though.  Wouldn't mind the look of Sutton lining up opposite ARob for a pair of big "easy" targets who can win those 50/50 balls Bortles throws.

Really doubt we'll have any sort of shot at Ridley, and he's definitely not the sort of receiver i'd trade up for.  He'd be a slick Marquise Lee upgrade with more consistent hands, but i wouldn't be moving mountains to get that sort of player.  Not big on Kirk either really.  Seems like more of a slot guy+returner, though he does have a more dynamic quality to him with the ball in his hands.

James Washington is a really intriguing one when it comes to what @iPwn was talking about with separation, in a guy running wide open down the field.  He's got a weird body type that will probably scare some scouts off, and is a pretty remedial route runner.  He's got some really intriguing athleticism and suddenness though, and his ability to run right by coverage sounds like exactly what was being desired there.  Coach him up and i think you've got a serious playmaker.  He's been huge in making Mason Rudolph look good.

Not sure he's a real 1st round value though, with the questionmarks and rawness there.  I'm not really sold on a lot of "1st round value" at WR this year overall.  I like the idea behind it, but i don't particularly like the idea of mining the 1st round of what looks like a deep WR crop, with a thin top-end.

I'm not a fan of Lamar Jackson but they bring up some interesting options personally I don't feel like he is a guy that Tom would even look at I think Mason Rudolph is more along the lines of the type of QB Couglin would covet over Lamar.. but everyone seems to think Coughlin would draft him as they continue to mock him to us. Potential you might get a Deshaun Watson but you could also end up with Vince Young I don't know if he can read defense.. he killed my Noles regularly but each game I didn't get to see because just so happen when he played my son happened to be playing youth football at the same exact time so I wasn't able to actually sit down and watch any game footage on him.

Lamar is ranked #53 on the passes dropped list on the season by comparison Sam Darnold is ranked #8 with his wide receivers only dropping 19 passes.. Lamars receivers dropped 33 passes.

I want to find some actual game footage his arm is live and with some tweaking with his foot work out of drops could help him I wouldn't tamper with his arm he just needs to clean up his footwork that could help with his accuracy his arm is talented.. an area where I said Blake never really fit the bill for me. Peyton never had the prettiest ball like Bortles but Peyton learned how to get rid of the ball before receivers got out of breaks and his IQ begin to grow.. Brees had questions on if he was legit 3-4 years in the league. Peyton threw a TON of picks his first 3-4 seasons. I want see footage of how he looks off safties he had a play like that in this montage it was like play 4-6 that was really nice. But hopefully I can run down game footage. 

12 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Have you like what you've seen so far? Pro's/con's i'm talking just in his game. Not potential if the Jags will get him or not just visually in his game what is he good with? What does he struggle with?

Yeah, I have been a Lamar fan for a while. Would be a big fan of taking him at 29 if he's there and letting him sit back behind Bortles for now. 

We had a great huge thread full of arguments that is listed as Lamar vs. Baker I believe somewhere if you want to look back into it. I'm pretty much done arguing for Lamar after that ordeal lol. 

All I'll say is I'm a big fan. The people saying he isn't a QB/should move off the position is hilarious to see. I feel like because he is fast and has good running ability people like to think that he doesn't have serious arm talent to go with it.

I think he'll be very good and if he is there late in the 1st I'd be disappointed if we have another situation similar to Watson where he goes elsewhere and we look back at the draft kicking ourselves that we didn't take a potential franchise level QB, even more so when we're talking 29th overall vs. top 5.

If Bortles balls out/takes a step forward this next season than awesome, but I don't like the idea of not having a backup plan if he either stays the same (and other areas regress along with the division taking a step forward) or regresses and we either are forced to overpay for below average QB play OR be without a QB going into next offseason.

Personally, I think Bortles is going to be fine and could potentially be our guy long-term, and I really hope he is. But this position is just too vital not to have backup plans there, especially if there is an option that could pay off big time with little risk (29th overall instead of missing in the top 5).

6 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Whoa you guys are all aboard the QB train now? I figured you would hop on with me on the Goedert train. Figured an impactful TE would be huge for y’all. 

At 29th overall it's pretty much just about who we like as prospects. I would LOVE Goedert, but if there is a QB that has franchise QB potential late in the 1st with our QB situation you gotta think about it.

On 2/19/2018 at 4:22 AM, Tugboat said:

I'm really intrigued by this TE, Ian Thomas out of Indiana.  Seems like a real "projection" pick, raw and really inexperienced, kinda limited production...but most of the stuff he does is really impressive.  Looks like a ton of "upside" to him if you can get him coached up and comfortable in an offense.  Great hands, physical mentality, and some real natural looking feel for the position.

I think TE is a position we all expect to see addressed at some point, probably fairly early.  He's a Day 2 guy that i'm pretty fond of.  Really like what i've seen of Tyler Conklin out of Central Michigan too.  They've got the "raw, small sample" and "small school" knocks to them...but i don't really love any of the usual suspect top name guys much more than them.  Not for what we do with TEs most of the time anyway.  We don't really need a Jimmy Graham.

Pete Prisco said a week ago or so that he thinks he ends up being the best TE in the class long-term due to upside.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29:  Wynn, Isaiah, OG, Georgia (A-) Starting LG
Round 2 Pick 29:  Goedert, Dallas, TE, South Dakota State (A+) Starting TE
Round 3 Pick 29:  Jones, Jamarco, OT, Ohio State (A) Possible Starting RT
Round 4 Pick 29:  Cain, Deon, WR, Clemson (A+) BPA
Round 6 Pick 29:  Wallace, Levi, CB, Alabama (A+)NB
Round 7 Pick 12:  Litton, Chase, QB, Marshall (A+) so hes not a senior but hes a redshirt Junior but i think he would like him as a developmental guy
Round 7 Pick 29:  Carrington II, Darren, WR, Utah (A+) Potential Steal/BPA
First Pick mock

Archived