2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Penn State have a whole bunch of guys in this year's draft though.  DaeShon Hamilton is there too.  Plus a handful of LBers and OLinemen that could be of some interest.

It's just seems so bizarre to me that they'd be that into Gesicki.  Have to squint really hard to see how a TE who can't block fits into this obvious ground and pound super emphasis they appear to be going with.

But then...they do some pretty bizarre/unexpected things.  So maybe...

Im sure he has some insight on this...but who knows. In all about Gisecki as a receiver. They must think he can develop in the blocking department 

8 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

29: R1P29
WR COURTLAND SUTTON
SMU number 1 wr
61: R2P29
TE DALLAS GOEDERT
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE starting te
93: R3P29
OT BRIAN O'NEILL
PITTSBURGH right tackle of future
129: R4P29
LB SHAQUEM GRIFFIN
CENTRAL FLORIDA same lber
203: R6P29
CB TONY BROWN
ALABAMA cb depth
230: R7P12
P MICHAEL DICKSON
TEXAS saving money at p
247: R7P29
QB CHASE LITTON
MARSHALL qb of future?

This would be an absolutely insane first 3 rounds, 4 rounds really.  I'd be grinning ear to ear walking away with that haul.  Seems awfully optimistic though.

5 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

figure we can start some talk about some potental Draft te options.

some Sleepers: Christopher Herndon Miami(FL), David Wells San Diego State

MY TE top 5 list for our us goes:

Dallas Goedert

Hayden Hurst

Mike Gesicki

Dalton Schultz

Ian Thomas.

i dont have andrews listed because i think hes really a jumbo-slot wr kinda like Ebron of the lions and i just dont see coughlin wanting something like that early in the draft. 

You have Andrews off because he's a jumbo slot WR, but not Gesicki?  Interesting...  :/

Really think Tyler Conklin should be added to the "sleepers" list, or for me...just on the "normal list".

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Im sure he has some insight on this...but who knows. In all about Gisecki as a receiver. They must think he can develop in the blocking department 

I suppose it could well be that they've practically lived there keeping an extra close eye on Gesicki to decide whether or not they think he might be able to improve in the blocking department.  Keeping tabs on any progress in that respect through the season.

Would certainly explain the constant presence there.  Doesn't take all that long to get a pretty solid sense for his receiving ability.  Certainly extensive scouting doesn't always mean they're absolutely locked in on a guy - could mean that they're just particularly unsure on a guy as well.  Could be the case there.

I'm just not all that optimistic about him becoming much more than a decent blocker, for a WR basically.  It doesn't seem like a lack of willingness, so much as he just doesn't seem built for it.  Same build that makes him so talented as a jumper and receiver, kinda double-edged sword.  But i guess we'll probably find out what they think, at the draft.

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

This would be an absolutely insane first 3 rounds, 4 rounds really.  I'd be grinning ear to ear walking away with that haul.  Seems awfully optimistic though.

You have Andrews off because he's a jumbo slot WR, but not Gesicki?  Interesting...  :/

Really think Tyler Conklin should be added to the "sleepers" list, or for me...just on the "normal list".

ive seen gesicki actually block some and it wasnt great by anymeans but it was something solid.  also felt that we could coach up his blocking ala Lewis(he wasnt known as a Blocker when he was in the draft) but i put him cuz hes a damn good athlete.  i dont think andrews is a great cant miss athlete for the position.

Gisecki is far from an adequate blocker for this team. but he has the size if you can teach him that. IMO, he's the only TE in this draft I'm willing to take in the 1st because he has such a potential to be a dynamic receiver.

Andrews is a solid guy as well, but I'd be more inclined to take an OL or QB. This draft is so loaded at the position I think we can wait unless they have a plan for someone like Gesicki

7 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Gisecki is far from an adequate blocker for this team. but he has the size if you can teach him that. IMO, he's the only TE in this draft I'm willing to take in the 1st because he has such a potential to be a dynamic receiver.

Andrews is a solid guy as well, but I'd be more inclined to take an OL or QB. This draft is so loaded at the position I think we can wait unless they have a plan for someone like Gesicki

Does he have the size though?  Or more importantly, the build?  He's obviously tall, and super athletic.  But you see him go to make a block, and it's either just sorta running into a guy and hoping that slows them up a split second and distracts them, or pretty much always the same awkward thing any time he engages at all.  Just gets up so awkwardly high, bent over halfway backward when he tries...and everyone gets completely underneath where it's way too easy to slip or just move him.  He seems willing, but just physically can't see to get any real leverage. 

Not every 6'5" guy is built the same, or built to be an actual blocker.  Same thing with his "speed", which i think is kinda deceptive.  He's such a long strider when he runs that combine time.  Is he gonna actually be that fast on the field when he can't always just lope his way straight down a lane totally untouched?

There's potential there for sure.  And he's a unique athlete.  But ugh...there's a lot to be wary of there imo.  Especially if you want to fit him into a ground 'n pound system like ours where he'd either be a blocker half the time if you actually want to play him as a TE.  You can't just sub the guy in when you want to run a route...we saw the same stupid obvious tells with the way they used Fournette early.  That's amateurish stuff.

My mock on the simulator 

1 Will Hernandez OG UTEP

2 Dallas Godert TE

3 Josh Sweat Edge FSU

Uchenna Nwosu LB USC

6 Auden Tate WR FSU

7 Christian Campbell CB Penn St.

7 Mathew Thomas LB FSU 

I know its lot of Seminoles personally I don’t think Sweat makes it out of mid 2nd possibly even late first but he fell in the simulation so I took him Thomas in the 7th is a crap shoot we need linebacker depth so I took him. Tate I debated over because I was kind of looking at Marcell Ateman OKstate in the fourth both big guys but I figured I could maybe get Tate later but I didn’t expect him to last past the 5th but he did.

56 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

My mock on the simulator 

1 Will Hernandez OG UTEP

2 Dallas Godert TE

3 Josh Sweat Edge FSU

Uchenna Nwosu LB USC

6 Auden Tate WR FSU

7 Christian Campbell CB Penn St.

7 Mathew Thomas LB FSU 

I know its lot of Seminoles personally I don’t think Sweat makes it out of mid 2nd possibly even late first but he fell in the simulation so I took him Thomas in the 7th is a crap shoot we need linebacker depth so I took him. Tate I debated over because I was kind of looking at Marcell Ateman OKstate in the fourth both big guys but I figured I could maybe get Tate later but I didn’t expect him to last past the 5th but he did.

No potential backup or potential starting qb?

12 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

No potential backup or potential starting qb?

Every QB I felt comfortable drafting went off the board in the simulator only qb left on the board was Rudolph at 29. I didn’t want to waste my 1st rounder on Rudolph and he was gon by the 29th pick in the second I never had a chance.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Does he have the size though?  Or more importantly, the build?  He's obviously tall, and super athletic.  But you see him go to make a block, and it's either just sorta running into a guy and hoping that slows them up a split second and distracts them, or pretty much always the same awkward thing any time he engages at all.  Just gets up so awkwardly high, bent over halfway backward when he tries...and everyone gets completely underneath where it's way too easy to slip or just move him.  He seems willing, but just physically can't see to get any real leverage. 

Not every 6'5" guy is built the same, or built to be an actual blocker.  Same thing with his "speed", which i think is kinda deceptive.  He's such a long strider when he runs that combine time.  Is he gonna actually be that fast on the field when he can't always just lope his way straight down a lane totally untouched?

There's potential there for sure.  And he's a unique athlete.  But ugh...there's a lot to be wary of there imo.  Especially if you want to fit him into a ground 'n pound system like ours where he'd either be a blocker half the time if you actually want to play him as a TE.  You can't just sub the guy in when you want to run a route...we saw the same stupid obvious tells with the way they used Fournette early.  That's amateurish stuff.

I think so. He's big enough and has the frame to add more. But yeah the question always boils down to what does this staff want? 

That's why I put that caveat in that the team needs a plan if you take him because you're not going to get the best bang for buck if you just expect him to block. At least not rightaway

2 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Every QB I felt comfortable drafting went off the board in the simulator only qb left on the board was Rudolph at 29. I didn’t want to waste my 1st rounder on Rudolph and he was gon by the 29th pick in the second I never had a chance.

I was talking even a 7th round shot on someone

22 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I was talking even a 7th round shot on someone

Very rare do you find Brady in the 6th it seemed pretty redundant drafting a flyer in the 6th -7 when there was still good depth late that could help us now. If that’s was the case we should have kept a Brandon Allen and developed him. 

List of draftable players the Jags met with:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaxonFil/status/973292050836869123/photo/1 

Archived