2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

On 3/14/2018 at 10:53 AM, Speedyg said:

I think so. He's big enough and has the frame to add more. But yeah the question always boils down to what does this staff want? 

That's why I put that caveat in that the team needs a plan if you take him because you're not going to get the best bang for buck if you just expect him to block. At least not rightaway

I just wonder how much strength he's going to add to his frame from where he is, and whether that's going to improve the bigger problem i see with him...which is the leverage issue.  But yeah...if they're content to just let him run around and big a jumbo slot receiver, he could be just fine.  You never know.  It's just hard to see, with the obvious emphasis on the run game (and blocking that comes with that) here.

Just seems like there's gonna be better bang for the buck in maybe less unique athletes, who are going to be "good" receivers, but significantly better all 'rounders.

15 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Very rare do you find Brady in the 6th it seemed pretty redundant drafting a flyer in the 6th -7 when there was still good depth late that could help us now. If that’s was the case we should have kept a Brandon Allen and developed him. 

List of draftable players the Jags met with:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaxonFil/status/973292050836869123/photo/1 

Brandon Allen mostly sucked and had no upside from the start.  Just because you had one project you tinkered with for a while, and cut bait with...doesn't mean all other later round projects are completely pointless.

Though our rather pronounced need for a good backup QB sooner, rather than later...kinda lends itself more toward grabbing a guy earlier, and hopefully a bit less of a developmental backup project like Allen.

Looking at that list though...what do they have against QBs who are good, natural football throwers?  xD  They do appear to have a type...

I can't imagine that will be the ultimate extent of their QB meeting list though.  Or at least, i'd certainly hope not...O.o

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Brandon Allen mostly sucked and had no upside from the start.  Just because you had one project you tinkered with for a while, and cut bait with...doesn't mean all other later round projects are completely pointless.

Though our rather pronounced need for a good backup QB sooner, rather than later...kinda lends itself more toward grabbing a guy earlier, and hopefully a bit less of a developmental backup project like Allen.

Looking at that list though...what do they have against QBs who are good, natural football throwers?  xD  They do appear to have a type...

I can't imagine that will be the ultimate extent of their QB meeting list though.  Or at least, i'd certainly hope not...O.o

We dont have a backup right now, and given how competitive this roster is, were not trusting the backup gig to a 6th or 7th rounder. And given how competitive our roster is, it's going to be tough to keep three QBs. I expect it's either a vet backup or a 1st/2nd round QB that the team can "protect" like Jackson or Mason and still be productive enough to not lose us games.

22 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Very rare do you find Brady in the 6th it seemed pretty redundant drafting a flyer in the 6th -7 when there was still good depth late that could help us now. If that’s was the case we should have kept a Brandon Allen and developed him. 

List of draftable players the Jags met with:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaxonFil/status/973292050836869123/photo/1 

Litton is pretty solid based on the highlights. biggest flaw was like a foot thing. 

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

We dont have a backup right now, and given how competitive this roster is, were not trusting the backup gig to a 6th or 7th rounder. And given how competitive our roster is, it's going to be tough to keep three QBs. I expect it's either a vet backup or a 1st/2nd round QB that the team can "protect" like Jackson or Mason and still be productive enough to not lose us games.

Exactly what I was thinking if Bortles goes down god forbid a 6th or 7th round talent is not going to keep you in the hunt. The pick would be pointless.

5 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Exactly what I was thinking if Bortles goes down god forbid a 6th or 7th round talent is not going to keep you in the hunt. The pick would be pointless.

Could always just bring in Tebow if that happens.  B|

a mock with Matt Millers board using Fanspeaks sim.

29: R1P29 QB MASON RUDOLPH OKLAHOMA STATE Potential QB of future

61: R2P29 TE MIKE GESICKI PENN STATE Jumbo Slot WR/TE

93: R3P29 C FRANK RAGNOW ARKANSAS Starting RG

129: R4P29 RB ROYCE FREEMAN OREGON Big Back to  be our Bellcow if Fournette goes down. 

203: R6P29 LB DORIAN ODANIEL CLEMSON LB Depth/Competion for Sam with Brown

230: R7P12 P MICHAEL DICKSON TEXAS  Nortmans Replacement

247: R7P29 DL LOWELL LOTULELEI UTAH Backup NT. 

The emphasis is certainly shaping up to be offense overall, but looking at our depth chart as it stands right now...i'm wondering if a SAM LBer might be getting overlooked as a Top-100 need/target for us.  It's really the last remaining spot where we don't have at least a possible starter.  I can't imagine Telvin/Jack/Blair Brown is actually their finished product starting LBer corps.

Granted, it's a spot that comes off the field a fair bit, and you can often find serviceable "smart and tough but athletically limited" sort of LBers a bit later into the draft.  But if we want a premium athlete in that role, it seems like something that's more likely going to come in the form of a Top-3/4 round pick.

Archived