2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

21 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The emphasis is certainly shaping up to be offense overall, but looking at our depth chart as it stands right now...i'm wondering if a SAM LBer might be getting overlooked as a Top-100 need/target for us.  It's really the last remaining spot where we don't have at least a possible starter.  I can't imagine Telvin/Jack/Blair Brown is actually their finished product starting LBer corps.

Granted, it's a spot that comes off the field a fair bit, and you can often find serviceable "smart and tough but athletically limited" sort of LBers a bit later into the draft.  But if we want a premium athlete in that role, it seems like something that's more likely going to come in the form of a Top-3/4 round pick.

Wish we would have been able to get Mingo for that spot honestly.

But yeah, wouldn't shock me if a LB is taken in first few rounds regardless.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Wish we would have been able to get Mingo for that spot honestly.

But yeah, wouldn't shock me if a LB is taken in first few rounds regardless.

Yeah.  Getting Mingo would've been good.  Then you're not stuck investing a pretty high pick in a spot that won't play half the time.  But since we didn't...

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Getting Mingo would've been good.  Then you're not stuck investing a pretty high pick in a spot that won't play half the time.  But since we didn't...

Yeah...wonder what the deal was there.

Mingo isn't much of a pass rusher, but I'm fairly sure he'd work well at the SAM position in our defense. Not sure there's much else in that spot left in FA.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Mingo isn't much of a pass rusher, but I'm fairly sure he'd work well at the SAM position in our defense. Not sure there's much else in that spot left in FA.

cushing, Derrick Johnson, Jerrell Freeman, Shea McClellin could be options at either Sam or ILB.  

let us not forget that the team did move telvin to ILB when poz was forced out at ILB so its not like we really need a Sam. 

i think mcclellin would be a solid stop gap measure/insurance. 

19 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'd imagine it just came down to money/preference for Mingo.  He got a pretty healthy payday in Seattle, and gets to reunite with the rest of the disappointing top picks from that draft there.

18 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

cushing, Derrick Johnson, Jerrell Freeman, Shea McClellin could be options at either Sam or ILB.  

let us not forget that the team did move telvin to ILB when poz was forced out at ILB so its not like we really need a Sam. 

i think mcclellin would be a solid stop gap measure/insurance. 

McClellin is a name that jumps out as having at one point had the "potential" to be a fit there, but i think is more name recognition than real value at this point.  Not convinced he's actually a starting calibre player.  Even at a spot like SAM where he's only on the field intermittently.

If we were going to look at Cushing, we would've been far better served just pleading Poz to come back for a year.  Yuck.  Johnson is old as dirt and frankly, i thought he was retiring?  Freeman's also very old, coming off an injury and teetering on the brink of a permaban for peds.  Not a real answer.

Really don't like the idea of taking our superstar WLB and moving him to a position where he's not as good, just so we can get a solid depth player like Blair Brown on the field as a starter, to form a tiny LBer corps.  I mean, Poz had his serious limitations, but at least gave us that 3rd solid starting calibre LBer at least.

Just don't see much of a solution out there at this point, outside of the draft (or a trade?).  Though obviously the question remains...how late can you still get a potential Day 1 starting SAM LBer in the draft?  There's a collection of interesting "upside" guys that might be available later, but they're mostly conversion guys who are going to be learning a totally new position.  Always plenty of experienced LBers available later too, but they mostly come with the opposite problem...Poz-like athletic limitations or worse, without the NFL veteran savvy.

Hard to tell how much they even value the position.  But it's struck me as a potential higher-round target at least, based on the current depth chart...where they've tried to at least fill out most spots with serviceable starters already.

24 minutes ago, Jags said:

Could someone please do a quick breakdown of Mason Rudolph or reply with a previous post. I would like to know more. Is he good, bad, or Gabbert? 

Pocket quarterback with good size who has shown consistent improvement as a passer. Rudolph is more of a downfield, play-action passer than a quarterback who can win with precision and arm strength. He's a capable field reader who has the ability to operate with timing which will be important since his arm can be dull at times. 

you could do better but u could do a hell of alot worse as well. 

29: R1P29
EDGE SAM HUBBARD
OHIO STATE Possible Bigger End/tackle. 
61: R2P29
TE MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE Pass catching TE
93: R3P29
OT CHUKWUMA OKORAFOR
WESTERN MICHIGAN RT/G
129: R4P29
QB MIKE WHITE
WESTERN KENTUCKY Backup QB
203: R6P29
LB DORIAN ODANIEL
CLEMSON LB Depth/Competition
230: R7P12
P MICHAEL DICKSON
TEXAS Starting P
247: R7P29
RB CHASE EDMONDS
FORDHAM RB Depth

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i would throw DE potentially as well with Campbells age and Fowlers option?

It’s possible. You can’t have enough pass rushers.

I think they are comfortable with Smoot eventually replacing Calais at the big end. I expect Smoot to see a lot more snaps this season. Obviously, Yannick will be on the other side.

I have no idea what they are going to do with Fowler. They should sign him to an extension or trade him (during the Draft IMO).

Coughlin believes in winning in the trenches, so DL/OL is always a possibility.

13 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i believe if we want to look real sneaky i think we could get away drafting Deion harris from North Dakota State in round 7.  he missed the whole year but he fits perfectly as an outside corner for us. 

Pretty sure he is returning for his senior year.

Archived