2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

Just now, Tugboat said:

You like Hurst over Goedert now?

It's close, I've been watching quite a bit of Hurst over the last week or so with all the smoke around him and us. It's kind of picking between a guy you know is a likely sure thing of being a good all-around TE (I know you don't feel this way) and a guy who has a big ceiling and has some traits that you can dream about, but obviously quite a bit more risk involved (especially as a blocker from what I've seen imo).

They're pretty neck and neck for me tbh. Just all about preference. With where we are as a franchise and what Coughlin/Marrone likely are looking for in a TE, I just feel like Hurst fits the scheme/bill more as what we want. Due to that, he gets the edge for me.

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

If they chose Hurst over Goedert, I would be sad. The Jags will just point to how Hurst is a better blocker and how we want to run the ball every play.

I've been watching Hurst a ton and I love how physical he is. He literally is the epitome mentally/physically that we look for on this team. He dropped one ball to over 100 catches I believe I saw. He gets put all over offensively. He can block and block well.

I just don't see many negatives here besides age. If we were picking top 10-15 it'd be one thing, but this is the end of the 1st and I see a rock solid TE here that fits the bill with what we want to do.

Goedert is more dreamy for sure and why it's close for me.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

It's close, I've been watching quite a bit of Hurst over the last week or so with all the smoke around him and us. It's kind of picking between a guy you know is a likely sure thing of being a good all-around TE (I know you don't feel this way) and a guy who has a big ceiling and has some traits that you can dream about, but obviously quite a bit more risk involved (especially as a blocker from what I've seen imo).

They're pretty neck and neck for me tbh. Just all about preference. With where we are as a franchise and what Coughlin/Marrone likely are looking for in a TE, I just feel like Hurst fits the scheme/bill more as what we want. Due to that, he gets the edge for me.

Fair enough.  I still have Goedert as my top TE, but like i expressed in some earlier discussion...i think there is a notable risk factor coming out of that level of competition.  Blocking-wise, and even just running and catching and athletically.  So i can see where you're coming from on that.  My Top-3 TEs in Goedert/Thomas/Andrews all definitely carry a higher "risk factor" to them.

Seems you're clearly quite high on Hurst though, as much as anything else.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I've been watching Hurst a ton and I love how physical he is. He literally is the epitome mentally/physically that we look for on this team. He dropped one ball to over 100 catches I believe I saw. He gets put all over offensively. He can block and block well.

I just don't see many negatives here besides age. If we were picking top 10-15 it'd be one thing, but this is the end of the 1st and I see a rock solid TE here that fits the bill with what we want to do.

Goedert is more dreamy for sure and why it's close for me.

I don't really see that same degree of physicality with Hurst tbh.  He gives a good effort and usually gets the job done, but i find a guy like Thomas is a lot more physical as a blocker, and a receiver+runner.  A lot more unrefined and unfocused in his violence, but when he comes along with a block...it's bigtime.  So much natural leverage and power to it.  If you can harness that consistently, you've got an impact player...rather than just a guy.  But it is more of a gamble in that sense.

Whereas sometimes i feel like Hurst might just be trying to bro down with defenders, like chest bumping them or something.  He's not Gesicki soft, not even close...but i haven't really come away from Hurst film thinking, "man this guy's a physical beast".

Just now, Tugboat said:

Fair enough.  I still have Goedert as my top TE, but like i expressed in some earlier discussion...i think there is a notable risk factor coming out of that level of competition.  Blocking-wise, and even just running and catching and athletically.  So i can see where you're coming from on that.  My Top-3 TEs in Goedert/Thomas/Andrews all definitely carry a higher "risk factor" to them.

Seems you're clearly quite high on Hurst though, as much as anything else.

I saw some Hurst tape before the combine, but I've really dug in here as of late with how much linkage there has been and the likelihood of him being the pick and I like what I see. I don't think he's a homerun as I don't know that he has the upside to be that, but if we get him I do think we have a rock solid #1 TE for the next 7-8 years. Won't be a guy who is THE guy on offense ala Kelce/Gronk, but I do think he can be a serious contributor who helps in the run game immediately.

Again, I'm still all on the OL train, just saying I'd be very content if he was the guy.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I don't really see that same degree of physicality with Hurst tbh.  He gives a good effort and usually gets the job done, but i find a guy like Thomas is a lot more physical as a blocker, and a receiver+runner.  A lot more unrefined and unfocused in his violence, but when he comes along with a block...it's bigtime.  So much natural leverage and power to it.  If you can harness that consistently, you've got an impact player...rather than just a guy.  But it is more of a gamble in that sense.

Whereas sometimes i feel like Hurst might just be trying to bro down with defenders, like chest bumping them or something.  He's not Gesicki soft, not even close...but i haven't really come away from Hurst film thinking, "man this guy's a physical beast".

Just a short Youtube highlight clip so it obviously isn't the end all be all, but I'm seeing a guy lowering the shoulder and getting 2-3+ yards after pretty much every encounter.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

i think if we want to look for a potential Campbell/Jackson Replacement early in the draft then Rasheem Greene USC is our guy

Smoot showed quite a bit in his limited snaps. I really like what I see. Not to worry about Campbell's spot.

31 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Smoot showed quite a bit in his limited snaps. I really like what I see. Not to worry about Campbell's spot.

yes but i prefer keeping the cub-bard  full and plus a lil true competition never hurt anyways.  Greene is very similiiar to Malik Jackson coming out.  i just want to get a had start on our potential DL cleanse next year.  

Jackson should be restructure, campbell can be restructured. Dareus could be cut or rip the contract up and make a new 1 deal cuz Dareus likes it here but im not sure how much i wanna give him. i probably wouldnt go more then 6 because i want to keep future room plus IMO its not that hard to find a Suitable replacement. 

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Just a short Youtube highlight clip so it obviously isn't the end all be all, but I'm seeing a guy lowering the shoulder and getting 2-3+ yards after pretty much every encounter.

I mean, i don't need a highlight clip with Vaseline smeared all over it to know what i feel like i've seen with Hurst in games.  I don't dislike him as a prospect, i think he'll be "okay" and i don't think he's soft or anything.  I just don't altogether see this imposing physical guy that really sets a tone like you're talking about.  I feel like you can put together a highlight reel like that for pretty much any of the TEs.  It's in the blocking i was referring to the chest bumping bro downs anyway btw.

But seriously, who smudged vaseline all over that film and why?

32 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

yes but i prefer keeping the cub-bard  full and plus a lil true competition never hurt anyways.  Greene is very similiiar to Malik Jackson coming out.  i just want to get a had start on our potential DL cleanse next year.  

Jackson should be restructure, campbell can be restructured. Dareus could be cut or rip the contract up and make a new 1 deal cuz Dareus likes it here but im not sure how much i wanna give him. i probably wouldnt go more then 6 because i want to keep future room plus IMO its not that hard to find a Suitable replacement. 

I mean...if our DLine cleanse involves arguably our best player, and 3/4ths of our starting front...we're gonna need more than a Greene to restock that cupboard.

I think that's more the sort of thing you worry about when you get there though.  Especially considering how stacked next year looks in high-end DLine talent.  I wouldn't be opposed to spending a pick on the DLine by any means, even on a pure edge guy...if nothing else, just for added depth and injury insurance.  But i'm not sure how much of a "head start" you can realistically get on replacing the strongest element of your team.  In the same way i wouldn't exactly count on Smoot to take over either.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I mean...if our DLine cleanse involves arguably our best player, and 3/4ths of our starting front...we're gonna need more than a Greene to restock that cupboard.

I think that's more the sort of thing you worry about when you get there though.  Especially considering how stacked next year looks in high-end DLine talent.  I wouldn't be opposed to spending a pick on the DLine by any means, even on a pure edge guy...if nothing else, just for added depth and injury insurance.  But i'm not sure how much of a "head start" you can realistically get on replacing the strongest element of your team.  In the same way i wouldn't exactly count on Smoot to take over either.

i dont expect us to lose jackson and Campbell.  campbell i know will breakdown sooner then later. both have low dead cap numbers.  i think we can move some of the money down the line for like jackson.  Campbell im not entirely sure with yet.  i know at some point were gonna have to make some cap moves.   i kinda wanna see what Phillips can do cuz he was considered a 4-5 round talent. 

Archived