2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin called this year's draft-able tight ends "a good group," discussing the dilemma of finding a complete player at a position that in recent seasons increasingly is separated into receiving or blocking tight ends. "If you want to try to find THE guy who blocks and catches the ball - and can run after the catch - that's a difficult player to find,"

source: Jaguars.com

Hurst?

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin called this year's draft-able tight ends "a good group," discussing the dilemma of finding a complete player at a position that in recent seasons increasingly is separated into receiving or blocking tight ends. "If you want to try to find THE guy who blocks and catches the ball - and can run after the catch - that's a difficult player to find,"

source: Jaguars.com

Hurst?

I have no problem with Hurst (actually like his complete game), just not in the 1st round.

Something to keep in mind....ASJ who came out in 2014 draft will be the same age as Hurst by start of the season (asj will turn 26 in week 3)

4 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I have no problem with Hurst (actually like his complete game), just not in the 1st round.

Something to keep in mind....ASJ who came out in 2014 draft will be the same age as Hurst by start of the season (asj will turn 26 in week 3)

I would be good with Hurst as well. His age doesn’t bother me like it does some people. A two TE set with ASJ and Hurst would be solid. 

If they want to take him round 1, be my guest but right now, I’m thinking OL round 1 and TE round 2 (maybe a trade up?).

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I would be good with Hurst as well. His age doesn’t bother me like it does some people. A two TE set with ASJ and Hurst would be solid. 

If they want to take him round 1, be my guest but right now, I’m thinking OL round 1 and TE round 2 (maybe a trade up?).

Pretty much my thoughts.

4 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Honestly I'm not "in love" with anyone at 29. Almost everyone available at 29 has someone similarly graded (different strength/weaknesses) in the same position that will be available until mid to late 2nds.

I'd be "OK" with Hurst there, but honestly don't see that value since I don't think there's great separation between him and the others and I certainly don't see Hurst as some dominant 25 year old that is sure to step in right away.

Like, I know were a running team, but damn if you're spending a 29th pick on a tight end he better produce as a receiving touchdown threat.

I know Marcedes played 13 years, and if u get 13 years out of your 1st round pick that's a solid return.

But that type of player can also be obtained in later round, and in fact they have.

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Another tidbit from the luncheon today.

And further illustrates how stupid that pick was from a value standpoint. 

So we spend a 4th pick overall on a running back to build our entire offense around, but because of his and our play style...now we have to spend another 2nd or 3rd round pick to be his back up?

That gives us a 4th overall pick, a high 2nd round pick, and then another 2nd/3rd in one position.

I'm pretty positive Doug has no clue or gives zero fs when it comes to positional value, so yeah, Hurst or Goedert it probably will be at 29th

2 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Honestly I'm not "in love" with anyone at 29. Almost everyone available at 29 has someone similarly graded (different strength/weaknesses) in the same position that will be available until mid to late 2nds.

I'd be "OK" with Hurst there, but honestly don't see that value since I don't think there's great separation between him and the others and I certainly don't see Hurst as some dominant 25 year old that is sure to step in right away.

Like, I know were a running team, but damn if you're spending a 29th pick on a tight end he better produce as a receiving touchdown threat.

I know Marcedes played 13 years, and if u get 13 years out of your 1st round pick that's a solid return.

But that type of player can also be obtained in later round, and in fact they have.

I feel like I will be “ok” with anybody they select at 29. I don’t love anybody at 29 like you said. If they go a certain position (let’s say OL) I have guys I would prefer (Hernandez and Ragnow) but I wouldn’t be mad if they go with someone else at that position. 

Obviously you shouldn’t read to much into Draft luncheon comments but with the comments by Coughlin and Marrone, they clearly don’t want a one dimensional TE like Gesicki. I think Hurst fits exactly what they are looking for. Adding ASJ and Hurst would significantly upgrade the TE position from last year. With Cedes, he was just so damn slow. With Lee, Moncrief, Westbrook, Cole, ASJ and Hurst, that is a lot of speed. Crossers for days lol.

9 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

So we spend a 4th pick overall on a running back to build our entire offense around, but because of his and our play style...now we have to spend another 2nd or 3rd round pick to be his back up?

That gives us a 4th overall pick, a high 2nd round pick, and then another 2nd/3rd in one position.

I'm pretty positive Doug has no clue or gives zero fs when it comes to positional value, so yeah, Hurst or Goedert it probably will be at 29th

this RB Class is deep tho.  we just need to find a Physical between the Tackles runner who can bounce outside once in a while

Gus Edwards from Rutgers would be a Sneaky Late round/UDFA type. 

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

I feel like I will be “ok” with anybody they select at 29. I don’t love anybody at 29 like you said. If they go a certain position (let’s say OL) I have guys I would prefer (Hernandez and Ragnow) but I wouldn’t be mad if they go with someone else at that position. 

Obviously you shouldn’t read to much into Draft luncheon comments but with the comments by Coughlin and Marrone, they clearly don’t want a one dimensional TE like Gesicki. I think Hurst fits exactly what they are looking for. Adding ASJ and Hurst would significantly upgrade the TE position from last year. With Cedes, he was just so damn slow. With Lee, Moncrief, Westbrook, Cole, ASJ and Hurst, that is a lot of speed. Crossers for days lol.

I think they consider Gesicki later. But yeah, everything they said since Doug took over (actually as soon as Hack took over), and Tom took over is that a tight end must not be one-dimensional.

Gesicki can develop as a blocker, but I'm pretty confident they have Hurst and Goedert higher than him precisely coz they are more well rounded

6 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I love LF and think he will have a big year in 2018 but yea, you should always wait on a RB. With his style, they know he won’t ever be a 16 game a season guy. Everybody and their momma knows he won’t have a very long career. Their top 4 was Myles, Solly Thomas, Fournette and Jamal Adams.

That Yeldon pick was so bad. Yeesh.

Wouldnt surprise me if they went RB in round 4. I hope they wait until at least round 6 though.

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

this RB Class is deep tho.  we just need to find a Physical between the Tackles runner who can bounce outside once in a while

Gus Edwards from Rutgers would be a Sneaky Late round/UDFA type. 

So was last year's draft and it didn't stop them from taking on Fournette 

11 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Not saying I endorsed RB top 5, but this class is deep and talented. Considering how run oriented we are and how today's NFL is, can't say I blame them if we take another in the top few rounds.

Yeldon was a bust for where he was taken. He was solid last year and is imprtant on 3rd down but I don't care to see how it'd be if Fournette were out an extended period of time.

Archived