2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

not that i dont like Carlton Davis but dont we have bigger needs then adding a strictly outside corner unless we are gonna play Bouye or Ramsey in the slot

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but basically...if we do that...then he needs to be head and shoulders better than the next nickel.

Because Bouye more than held his own against just about any wides not named Hopkins or Brown...and I doubt Davis can be that effective.

Just now, Speedyg said:

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but basically...if we do that...then he needs to be head and shoulders better than the next nickel.

Because Bouye more than held his own against just about any wides not named Hopkins or Brown...and I doubt Davis can be that effective.

people are calling him somewhere between Sherman and Nnamdi Assomough so thats pretty good.  i dont like his hand size tho. think it will lead to less ints.  

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I think this is pretty much as expected, but certainly doesn't hurt to have official confirmation from the doctor on it.  If the guy is gonna be ready by July, there really shouldn't be any injury concern there.  And the film on Price is 1st round worthy imo.

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

was he really projected that high? I thought he's always been within our pick range.

Mcglinchey seems to be shooting up boards, been seeing him as high as top 15

I mean, this time last year Williams was looked at by some "experts" as a potential Top-10 type talent.  So in that sense, falling to 29 would be pretty bigtime.

I think with McGlinchey, it wouldn't be surprising to see him go high.  There's a dearth of quality plug 'n play LTs in this draft, and a real shortage of quality OLine in general around the league.  I can absolutely see teams getting into a bit of a silly bidding war trying to grab the closest thing to a "bluechip LT" in this draft ahead of others.

Which is funny to me, when you see what looks like a bit of desperation for good Tackles...but with Connor Williams rumoured to slide a bit.  That arm length though...i guess.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I don't get the hate honestly. Hanx and a few others have been a bit overboard on Twitter imo.

I’m not on their level but I think I have my mind made up on an OL at 29.

the whole Jacksonville kid, went to Bolles, we need a TE, and etc. scares me a little bit. It just all adds up. 

Dont get me wrong he is a good player, I’ve just changed my mind on wanting him at 29. 

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

I’m not on their level but I think I have my mind made up on an OL at 29.

the whole Jacksonville kid, went to Bolles, we need a TE, and etc. scares me a little bit. It just all adds up. 

Dont get me wrong he is a good player, I’ve just changed my mind on wanting him at 29. 

I agree, as I said I'm all in on an OL, but I'd still be happy with Hurst. More weapons for Bortles+solid in the run game would be big. ASJ+Hurst compared to Marcedes and whoever else last year is a big step up.

27 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don't get the hate honestly. Hanx and a few others have been a bit overboard on Twitter imo.

Overboard is basically their schtick, so yeah...probably.  But Hurst also isn't that good.  There's just really nothing particularly special about him aside from his advanced age.  In a draft boasting a bunch of potentially "solid" or better TEs.  Is there anything in particular that makes him likely to be better than (or even as good as) a focused ASJ at some point?  'Cause they're like...practically the same age.  You're basically looking at a physically "maxed out" Hurst right now.

They're right, in that he doesn't project as Greg Olsen.  He's just not the same calibre of athlete.  And the whole "he's from around these parts so it just makes sense!" thing is very stupid.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I agree, as I said I'm all in on an OL, but I'd still be happy with Hurst. More weapons for Bortles+solid in the run game would be big. ASJ+Hurst compared to Marcedes and whoever else last year is a big step up.

It would be a step up.  But a better OL+Thomas/Herndon/Andrews/etc. would also be a big step up.  Getting arguably just as strong a TE prospect, in addition to a better OL guy.  Probably a bigger step up imo.  That's what you have to weigh as the alternative.  I mean, unless they do something catastrophically stupid with the pick...of course adding a 1st round prospect is going to look like an upgrade.  xD  It's a question of how much of an upgrade, and the opportunity cost of Hurst relative to other potential upgrade scenarios.

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Overboard is basically their schtick, so yeah...probably.  But Hurst also isn't that good.  There's just really nothing particularly special about him aside from his advanced age.  In a draft boasting a bunch of potentially "solid" or better TEs.  Is there anything in particular that makes him likely to be better than (or even as good as) a focused ASJ at some point?  'Cause they're like...practically the same age.  You're basically looking at a physically "maxed out" Hurst right now.

They're right, in that he doesn't project as Greg Olsen.  He's just not the same calibre of athlete.  And the whole "he's from around these parts so it just makes sense!" thing is very stupid.

It would be a step up.  But a better OL+Thomas/Herndon/Andrews/etc. would also be a big step up.  Getting arguably just as strong a TE prospect, in addition to a better OL guy.  Probably a bigger step up imo.  That's what you have to weigh as the alternative.  I mean, unless they do something catastrophically stupid with the pick...of course adding a 1st round prospect is going to look like an upgrade.  xD  It's a question of how much of an upgrade, and the opportunity cost of Hurst relative to other potential upgrade scenarios.

See I disagree with this on Hurst. He is damn good all around. He doesn't have an elite trait that sticks out, but he does everything so well that he should be a good all around TE. Is he Gronk/guy who you build an offense around? Nah. But he should be a very good weapon for Blake and an asset in the run game. He also has the athletic ability (SC did it some) to be moved all around and isn't just the traditional inline TE if you want to get creative.

Not my favorite option , but I'd be happy with Hurst for sure. There should be good OL in Rd 2 for us too. I'd prefer OL/TE  than TE/OL, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

See I disagree with this on Hurst. He is damn good all around. He doesn't have an elite trait that sticks out, but he does everything so well that he should be a good all around TE. Is he Gronk/guy who you build an offense around? Nah. But he should be a very good weapon for Blake and an asset in the run game. He also has the athletic ability (SC did it some) to be moved all around and isn't just the traditional inline TE if you want to get creative.

Not my favorite option , but I'd be happy with Hurst for sure. There should be good OL in Rd 2 for us too. I'd prefer OL/TE  than TE/OL, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

At 29, the likelihood of getting an elite player is low. These OL all have holes/questions too. More upside I'd say than Hurst, but just because he doesn't have huge up upside doesn't mean he can't/won't be damn good.

Archived