Week 16 GDT: KC@Sea

onejayhawk

7 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Did Scandrick even play tonight? It looks like we tried to go with youth in the backfield with the benching of Parker and lack of Scandrick. 

how close to historically bad is our D this year?  Just curious.

On top of being the most penalized team in football (by 19 penalties), we have the largest gap in penalties that hurt us versus those that benefit us with a -30 differential, the worst in the league by 7, along with being by far the most penalized team in away games (by 12 penalties.) We're also 5th in penalties committed but declined, which don't factor into the above numbers. In our losses, we've been penalized literally twice as much as our opponents (32 to 16.)

I feel my salt is justified.

It's so disappointing.

We have so many good to great players on defense and yet we just mess up game after game. We're really lucky, that the Chargers lost as well, so we still control our own destiny, but even if we beat the Raiders and get the #1 seed it won't change our fate, if we can't play defense. With this defensive scheme and therefore this defensive performance we will be 1 & done in the playoffs and that feels horrible.

We need to react in the offseason and fire Bob Sutton. I know Andy is one of the most loyal coaches in the NFL, but he needs to throw Sutton out. I don't see how we have a problem on our general talent on the defensive side of the ball, if u have players like Chris Jones, Justin Houston, Dee Ford, Eric Berry and some more decent players. In the end it all comes down to the scheme, which we can't fix by adding more talent in the draft, but which can only be fixed by getting a new scheme by a new DC. I don't see Hunt or Veach making a decision in that regard, because i don't see them attacking the integrity of Reid, so a change can only be made by Reid himself and i hope he has the guts for it.

10 hours ago, valkrei said:

how close to historically bad is our D this year?  Just curious.

Pass defense is the NFL's worst this season. And everyone thought it was just a run defense fix.

Chiefs are also the MOST PENALIZED team in the NFL. This is related to the terrible DB play as well.

5 hours ago, Edge said:

In the end it all comes down to the scheme, which we can't fix by adding more talent in the draft, but which can only be fixed by getting a new scheme by a new DC.

How does Russell get away with running forever right up into the middle of the Chiefs defense? That play happened due to scheme. It's on Sutton and his bumbling ideas on how to play defense. Obviously there's more than just that play to fault him for.

Chiefs defense couldn't get off the field. TOP = Chiefs/25min., Seattle/35min.

This is NOT a post sticking up for Sutton..

But we are the worst tackling team in the NFL,  that’s not scheme.  No amount of scheme is going to fix not being able to tackle.

Sutton needs to go and we need new blood at Safety and ILB. 

15 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

This is NOT a post sticking up for Sutton..

But we are the worst tackling team in the NFL,  that’s not scheme.  No amount of scheme is going to fix not being able to tackle.

Sutton needs to go and we need new blood at Safety and ILB. 

Tackling is sad. It has been for years. But Seattle picked on #35 all night. They got PI called all night too. So i'll include CB along with Safety and ILB needs. And some tackling drills too.

We spent our entire last draft on defense. It looks like it hasn't helped much. So how many drafts will it take to see improvement?

21 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Tackling is sad. It has been for years. But Seattle picked on #35 all night. They got PI called all night too. So i'll include CB along with Safety and ILB needs. And some tackling drills too.

We spent our entire last draft on defense. It looks like it hasn't helped much. So how many drafts will it take to see improvement?

ILB, S, and CB are all definite needs.  In any order really,  won’t hear an argument for any of those being at the top.

Im not sure if seeing San Diego lose the night before changed how they went into this game, but this looked like the coaches giving the young guys an opportunity to take starters reps before the post season.  

I will say I would rather see Ward and Smith struggle than see Scandrick.   

Will be interesting to see if either player earned a shot at PT against the Raiders, and will they look different when our pass rush isn’t getting held and actually pressuring the qb.

I was very surprised to see Scandrick not play.  Sounds like Reid made the call to push Ward and Smith into the starting lineup, and get Lucas back out there some.

Reid was also apparently working with the defense on the sidelines in this game, which doesn't happen. Arrowhead Pride suggested this was so unique a confluence of events that it suggests Reid doesn't trust Sutton anymore.

All in all, I agree with everyone here in that it is a combination of Sutton's inability AND some bad players. If we had say Belichick as DC (historically great defensive coach) maybe we'd never notice, but with Sutton all players are who they are. He's not elevating anyone, so great players have some great performances, and the terrible ones have some terrible performances, but seeing as this is a team game and that trumps individual performances to result in a cumulatively bad team performance.

As for the future of this season, we need Mahomes to be red hot again. Just really good from him won't be enough to overcome the defense. We must play with at least a two score lead early to have a chance to simplify our defense enough to hang on. Trying to scheme for all possiblities from an opponents offense will result in another early playoff exit.

Archived