Mike Jones: Terrell McClain a possible cut

turtle28

I guess if they do this they would do it in order to keep Ioannidis, Lanier & Mbu and putting any of the 3 on the practice squad probably means we lose them but I wouldn't agree if we did this.

Just like I didn't agree with cutting Paea last year because Paea was better than 3 of the guys we cut him for and arguably 4 of them.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588858&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 

MKnight82:

Allen is the biggest upgrade, but he's just a rookie. I feel like we overpaid McCLain and McGee and neither will be much of an upgrade over what we had before. I actually like the McGee signing more than McClain. If Allen turns out to be a complete stud he will cover up some of the other deficiencies along the line. I think its more likely that we still only have one starting caliber Dlineman on our roster though (Allen).

turtle28:

McClain was the best interior lineman on the Cowboys last year and they ran away with the division and were a few spectacular Aaron Rodgers plays away from playing in the NFCCG. I think you are selling him short. I think McClain is the most complete of the two DL we signed but McGee is the better run defender.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=586442&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 

Jeezy Fanatic:

One of the worst signings in NFL history.

misfit:

NFL? Easily the worst in all of professional sports.

lavar703:

This is the dumbest franchise ever.

Thaiphoon:

PFF had him rated as a 44.9 out of 100 last year

MKnight82:

7 seasons in the NFL, 4.5 career sacks.

turtle28:

I like this signing. He plays a lot like Baker and is sold vs the run. He played well in Dallas last year with 40 tackles and 2.5 sacks. I think McClain is trending upwards, I like it.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585369&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=345 

ripsean21:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Dallas's DL some trash? Great this mean Poe cost too much and they went to plan F!!! Do our scouts watch any team besides the 3 that beat us twice a year? We suck I don't even want to hear the oh atleast we addressed DL we did this because we're not going to retain Baker and the guys who could upgrade our DL cost to much! 

HTTRG3Dynasty:

#Redskins are signing DT Terrell McClain, per source. 4 yr deal north of $21M.  Lmao. Why? 

Woz:

I'm amused that you all think we're going to get any free agent of quality. We've become one of the teams that you sign with only if you have no other options. No one is coming here (oooo, Terrell McClain Rolling Eyes), so our defense will suffer which in turn will make us lose more games, which make the smell of stink even more pronounceable. 

Revel in it, guys. We're a giant cow patty of a team.

I will admit that while I was way down on Terrell McClain, I certainly did not expect him to fail to make the roster in his first season. O.o

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Just like I didn't agree with cutting Paea last year because Paea was better than 3 of the guys we cut him for and arguably 4 of them

Except when has McClain shown he has been better than Allen, McGee, Lanier, Taylor, Hood, and Ioannidis (the six that Jones projects to make the squad)? What has he shown you personally that the others cannot provide?

I'll be disappointed if he's cut. I see that others will be happy if he's cut just so they're right, I'm wrong and Allen was wrong. 

Can't believe you wasted your time bringing up old posts from the old forum Mknight. Lol ?Hilarious! xD

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I will admit that while I was way down on Terrell McClain, I certainly did not expect him to fail to make the roster in his first season. O.o

Except when has McClain shown he has been better than Allen, McGee, Lanier, Taylor, Hood, and Ioannidis (the six that Jones projects to make the squad)? What has he shown you personally that the others cannot provide?

He hasn't been cut, it's rumored he may be. Last week vs the Packers he started over Hood.

Cutting him cost us $7.25 million in dead cap space.

The only thing I say to the last paragraph is that we should keep 7 DL IMO and unlike some of them, McClain can play both 1-tech & 3-tech.

I'll certainly be disappointed if he's cut because he did play well - at least against the Redskins - when he was on the Cowboys last season. If he's cut, watch him go right back to the Cowboys in Sept and dominate Spencer Long all over again in a rotation w/ Stephen Paea & Malik Collins.

Just now, turtle28 said:

He hasn't been cut, it's rumored he may be. Last week vs the Packers he started over Hood.

And didn't do much of anything as I recall.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Cutting him cost us $7.25 million in dead cap space.

Yeah, but that's called accepting that you made a mistake and moving on. Keeping him just to avoid that cap space and sitting him on the bench does what for us exactly? It's still wasted cap space.

Just now, turtle28 said:

The only thing I say to the last paragraph is that we should keep 7 DL IMO and unlike some of them, McClain can play both 1-tech & 3-tech.

Okay, so who would you bump for McClain? Mack Brown? Ryan Grant?

Just now, turtle28 said:

I'll certainly be disappointed if he's cut because he did play well - at least against the Redskins - when he was on the Cowboys last season. If he's cut, watch him go right back to the Cowboys in Sept and dominate Spencer Long all over again in a rotation w/ Stephen Paea & Malik Collins.

1. He was good for the Cowboys and their 4-3. I asked repeatedly why he would be good in the 3-4. The coaching staff doesn't seem to care for him in the nickel and dime packages, so he doesn't fit here.
  2. Why would the Cowboys pick him back up? They've got their guys and repetition going. I'll say it again: you do not just go grab a guy because you can grab him. New people (even ones who have been in house before) require time to spin back up and get used to the playbook and rhythms. Yes, McClain might be able to come up to speed faster than someone else off the street for Dallas, but it's not a zero amount of time. They would also need to cut someone who is working in their system right now.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

We'll keep him because Bruce Allen is too insecure to cut a FA of his.  

I could see them keeping McClain simply to avoid admitting a mistake. The question is: would it be better to have him on the bench costing money or somewhere else? We'll see.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

And didn't do much of anything as I recall.

Yeah, but that's called accepting that you made a mistake and moving on. Keeping him just to avoid that cap space and sitting him on the bench does what for us exactly? It's still wasted cap space.

Okay, so who would you bump for McClain? Mack Brown? Ryan Grant?

1. He was good for the Cowboys and their 4-3. I asked repeatedly why he would be good in the 3-4. The coaching staff doesn't seem to care for him in the nickel and dime packages, so he doesn't fit here.
  2. Why would the Cowboys pick him back up? They've got their guys and repetition going. I'll say it again: you do not just go grab a guy because you can grab him. New people (even ones who have been in house before) require time to spin back up and get used to the playbook and rhythms. Yes, McClain might be able to come up to speed faster than someone else off the street for Dallas, but it's not a zero amount of time. They would also need to cut someone who is working in their system right now.

I've filled out numerous depth charts with McClain in it and with the Redskins keeping 7 DL. I really don't think Mack Brown will make the team but I'd like him to and I'd like to see him get more PT with the starters to see if he can do better than Kelley.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I've filled out numerous depth charts with McClain in it and with the Redskins keeping 7 DL. I really don't think Mack Brown will make the team but I'd like him to and I'd like to see him get more PT with the starters to see if he can do better than Kelley.

You completely danced around his point and then trited to deflect with that random Brown for Kelly tidbit.

Who would you keep McClain over right now? There's only finite spots so someone on that 53 is getting snubbed for McClain if he makes it. Sprinkle? Dunbar? Davis? Harris? Smithson? Nicholson? We have a LOT of guys on the bubble right now and one of those guys would have to be cut to keep McClain. Just in his group alone I'd rather keep Mbu, Lanier, or Ioannidis over him.

Archived