Joe Montana/Dan Marino in 2018 vs.................

ZenoRazon

10 hours ago, Classic said:

Marino with his quick release and strong arm would be very good. Give him a season or two to catch up and he'd be a top 5 QB. Rodgers/Brees is odd because how they play would be vary favorable but since you could deck QBs at the the time, I doubt Rodgers with his injury history makes a career out. But if you dropped him into one of the top teams like the late 1980's Giants he'd win a SB or two. Brees would fare better and probably makes a career out of it but less glamrously as he is now. I can see him leading the Bills of the 90s to Super Bowl wins over some of those Cowboys teams but only on stacked team. I doubt he could last on the Archie Manning Saints in the 1970s

I see people doubting Brees could last in that era, but Montana was the GOAT for a long time and he’s barely taller than Brees and has toothpicks for legs.  He was surrounded by a great team, but the point is he was able to do it at a small size and be the GOAT.

Brees is great at getting the ball out quick and not taking unecessary hits.  I think he’d be fine.

As far the Archie Manning Saints, well, those Saints teams were awful and nobody would do much with them.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:07 PM, Jlowe22 said:

It’s impossible to really compare different eras

Why are people so obsessed with this? We're on an online message board for a children's games, played by adults, for millions of dollars that's designed for discussing it. We're not trying to get entry into a peer reviewed journal. Who gives a **** how hard the comparisons are. We do ones that are "impossible" to truly know all the time with conjecture and everything and the second there's two guys who didn't play together half the posts are telling me we can't discuss this because it is too difficult to meet the rigid standards a football forum lol

And this wasn't really direct at you personally so sorry if i sound like an ***

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Why are people so obsessed with this? We're on an online message board for a children's games, played by adults, for millions of dollars that's designed for discussing it. We're not trying to get entry into a peer reviewed journal. Who gives a **** how hard the comparisons are. We do ones that are "impossible" to truly know all the time with conjecture and everything and the second there's two guys who didn't play together half the posts are telling me we can't discuss this because it is too difficult to meet the rigid standards a football forum lol

And this wasn't really direct at you personally so sorry if i sound like an ***

You can talk about whatever you want.  I’m just saying, this board has enough trouble comparing current players.

Edited by Jlowe22

On 12/19/2018 at 10:46 PM, Destructo Spin said:

Yeah....that's not an argument, that's just a statement and some 'greater than' signs, and previously, some hypothetical BS you can't quantify and a move-the-goalposts type statement.

Obviously the last post isn't making an argument, I already did that. I was just responding to you hilariously dismissing my argument entirely. 

On 12/19/2018 at 10:46 PM, Destructo Spin said:

if you need time to attempt to mount a half-decent argument with like, facts and statistics and stuff.

I already summarized the difference in their playoff careers, with ya know, fact and statistics and stuff?

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

You can’t talk about whatever you want.  I’m just saying, this board has enough trouble comparing current players.

Who cares. It doesn't need to be said twenty times it's hard every time we do this. It's a bigger waste than the actual comparison

29 minutes ago, Norm said:

It doesn't need to be said twenty times

It’s a waste of time yea, but you’ve still got people, like TC, blindly comparing stats from a player who played his entire career from 2012-present with a guy who played 40 years ago.

40 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It’s a waste of time yea, but you’ve still got people, like TC, blindly comparing stats from a player who played his entire career from 2012-present with a guy who played 40 years ago.

Yeah stats are stats. It's so hard to directly compare these guys either way. I prefer just looking at guys against their peers, respecting them for that and leaving it there. Still doesn't account for the fact we have way more talent etc etc. I guess I'm kind of a geek for pre merger football so I want to to be discussed more than it is lol

On 12/20/2018 at 4:45 PM, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Yeah, I don't think that's really the point of the comparison

You're right, now that I think about it, Drew/Aaron would also just be able to use their knowledge of the stock market to turn themselves into trillionaires. No way they even play football.

I change my mind, Montana/Marino for sure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Maybe we should ask Webby if we can have a Geezer Forum.

@Shanedorf Well now let me tell YOU somethin', Young-Fella-Me-Lad, while I'm an admirer of yer posts on this-here website, and have to ad-mit yer pretty smart fer a young whipper-snapper, I reckon, the REAL Old-Timers like me self and Brutal could teach you young high-falutin' wiseacres a thing er two iff'n ye'd jest shet up and LISTEN to yer elders fer five seconds! WE'VE been follerin' football ev' since Gen'ral Pershing whupped Kaiser Permanente back in the Great War, when Men were Men and wore leather helmets without no fancy-dress face masks and had NICKNAMES: "Pudge" Hefflefinger and "Fatso" Fogarty and "Pudding-Pants" Jones and "Tubby" Hornschmidt!! (lotta the boys liked to eat, back then)

Twouldn't do a few of you flaming-youth teenagers like you and @ET80 and @Forge and @Jlowe22 and @El ramster and @Buddyboy and @ThatJerkDave tuh set still with us so-called "Old Geezers" and learn a couple-a things, fer once!

@Norm he don't count, ain't even fifty yet, HAW!- A boy, a veritable boy!!

Image result for old men

Edited by bzane
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bzane said:

@Shanedorf Well now let me tell YOU somethin', Young-Fella-Me-Lad, while I'm an admirer of yer posts on this-here website, and have to ad-mit yer pretty smart fer a young whipper-snapper, I reckon, the REAL Old-Timers like me self and Brutal could teach you young high-falutin' wiseacres a thing er two iff'n ye'd jest shet up and LISTEN to yer elders fer five seconds! WE'VE been follerin' football ev' since Gen'ral Pershing whupped Kaiser Permanente back in the Great War, when Men were Men and wore leather helmets without no fancy-dress face masks and had NICKNAMES: "Pudge" Hefflefinger and "Fatso" Fogarty and "Pudding-Pants" Jones and "Tubby" Hornschmidt!! (lotta the boys liked to eat, back then)

Twouldn't do a few of you flaming-youth teenagers like you and @ET80 and @Forge and @Jlowe22 and @El ramster and @Buddyboy and @ThatJerkDave tuh set still with us so-called "Old Geezers" and learn a couple-a things, fer once!

@Norm he don't count, ain't even fifty yet, HAW!- A boy, a veritable boy!!

Image result for old men

Dude what the hell are you guys saying. I can’t even understand you and norm. Do I have to be a hill billy?