Joe Montana/Dan Marino in 2018 vs.................

ZenoRazon

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting because Montana faced more pressure back then but was a lesser physical build. I think with the rules now he'd carve it up big time. Marino would be getting 50-60 TDs a year pretty consistent. It's funny how big of a joke the rule changes have turned the game into. Whenever I watch old 90s games it's a different world. I know CTE has had an effect but then just call it flag football already.

A guy like Brees in the 80s would be pretty good. Rodgers would be out of the game by those medical standards, Wentz would be done, etc.

Brady would still excel but he was awful scrawny and might not have made an NFL roster, these things are all hard to pinpoint.

But yes I take Montana/Marino playing now over everybody. Cunningham in early 90s would also obliterate.

7 hours ago, x0x said:

Marino would be getting 50-60 TDs a year pretty consistent.

I definitely think this is a stretch. Sure, the rules are easier, but I find it insane that he would be THAT dominant. Brady and Peyton in their primes didn't throw 50-60 TDs per season, so I don't see why Marino would.

2 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

I definitely think this is a stretch. Sure, the rules are easier, but I find it insane that he would be THAT dominant. Brady and Peyton in their primes didn't throw 50-60 TDs per season, so I don't see why Marino would.

Yea that's exaggeration. Marino was good, but he wouldn't be throwing 50-60 TDs every year.  He hit 40 plus twice in his career, which is great, but he was under 30 almost every other year aside from a couple, and that hardly translates to 50-60 every year.  His 84 season would be 50+, but his usual seasons would be 30-40 like the other elite QBs. 

15 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Peer by peer comparison.

Marino had 48 and 44 TD seasons when nobody was close. Maholmes got 50-39 ratio this year but overall last decade you've seen more 40+ TD seasons. Here's the breakdown:

Marino: 48

Krieg: 32

Lomax/Montana: 28

Marino: 44

O'Brien: 25

Esiason/Kramer: 24

Even in 85, Marino after having a pretty exhaustive 84 still lead with 30 TDs. But as you can see the disparity in Marino's two big seasons were obscene. Defense were harder so you absolutely have to extrapolate those into 50-60 TD years. Now aside from 85 leading with 30, he also had 28 TDs in 88 and 30 in 94. That might seem like he doesn't come anywhere close but the defenses he was facing those years and what they were allowed to do need to be understood properly. The 88 team goes 6-10, losing to defenses such as Bills (3rd), Pats (5th) in the division and beating the Browns (6th). In 95 the team goes 10-6, the worst games for Marino are Steelers (2nd), at New England (12th but better at home), and the Lions who they went up ahead early and gave hand-offs for rushing TDs so Marino played light and recorded 0 TDs. The you factor in wear and tear. Marino got clobbered in a lot of games which undeniably affected his recovery for later games, etc.

I will retract him getting 50-60 TDs routinely in the sense he would do it several times, but he absolutely eclipses the 50 TD mark twice in his 84 & 86 form, probably hits 40 in 85 (torched Bears D remember) and probably has another 40 TD season in his best 90s form. He would be more prolific than Peyton and Brady, so I mean, it depends what years he's put in I guess. If Peyton at his age could have that 55 TD season in 2013 then so could Marino.

7 hours ago, x0x said:

I will retract him getting 50-60 TDs routinely in the sense he would do it several times, but he absolutely eclipses the 50 TD mark twice in his 84 & 86 form, probably hits 40 in 85 (torched Bears D remember) and probably has another 40 TD season in his best 90s form. He would be more prolific than Peyton and Brady, so I mean, it depends what years he's put in I guess. If Peyton at his age could have that 55 TD season in 2013 then so could Marino.

I mean, sure, that's all I'm saying. That his 84' and 86' seasons could definitely translate to 50-60 TDs in the modern NFL, but I highly, HIGHLY doubt he could manage much if any more thant that. And I don't subscribe to the notion that "Well, if Peyton can do it, Marino can do it!" either. 

• 3 months later...
On 2018-12-18 at 1:51 AM, ZenoRazon said:

Actually speed means everything in football, there is nothing good with being slow.

Hester wasn't anywhere close to being among the fast receivers, he could just manuevar at near max/topend unlike others.

Jerry Rice was passed over because of his 40 speed, lack of it.

Montana/Marino vs the speed of today's game, nay~~~~~~~

marino's trigger release would help him. The game today with all the passing would be for Marino, if he was in a dome for 10+ games a year he would erase Mannings records.