GDT: Broncos @ Raiders

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

12 hours ago, Nightmare said:

This is how I feel about the defense as well. A lot of credit must go to Guenther, who is clearly the best DC we've had in a long time (probably since Bresnahan the first time around?). A structurally solid defense makes a huge difference, and naturally there have been some games where the lack of talent has hurt us, but generally he's put them in positions which maximize their limited ability as a unit.

There was a noticeable improvement in productivity once we threw the hungry young guys in there instead of the Reggie Nelson, Bruce Irvin and Derrick Johnson type of players. Of course we're still a good 3 or 4 players short of being an actual respectable defense, but there's less of an overhaul needed than we all probably thought in October.

Agreed. We got dogs on defense now and I can dig it. Especially Karl Joseph, Really pleased with what he's brought to the table. Last game was the kind of player I envisioned him being for us, albeit I was hoping to land him in the 2nd or 3rd. I think Sheldon Rankins was my preferred pick that year. Interested to see him play next week with us facing off against Kelce. Was fun last game.

Wondering the best way to handle Safety next year. Joseph looks like he deserves to compete to start. Gilchrist looks to be fin as a back up and slot CB in a pinch. Harris can be a back up and play STs. He's even had some moments as a starter though I don't trust him yet.

Another thing I notice is how we get torched with blitzes. But we simply can't generate pressure so I don't blame Guenther for trying to blitz. We have to try something since 4 guys can't get the job done.

But even with this..,.we have SO many would-be sacks and then they complete the pass because our DBs can't cover forever. And while we're on this topic.....I'm not saying our secondary is top notch,...but...  think we could be decent next season. Especially if we do a good job of replacing Melvin (he wont come back). Simply put: we need pass rushers. Badly. Sucks to have lost Mack and Irvin this season and wonder what could have been but it is what it is at this point. Hopefully we can add some dudes to get after the QB in the offseason.

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Came here to mention this. No doubt the mud helped big time but Von was very quiet. Chubb destroyed Kolton twice I remember though

It's hard to play OT in this league as a rookie. Parker was a developmental guy. He has crazy length and seemingly strength, but his technique was horrible and he's transitioning from LT. I think he deserves a chance to compete next year. Obviously bring a dude in to compete with him but I don't think he's a bust.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's hard to play OT in this league as a rookie. Parker was a developmental guy. He has crazy length and seemingly strength, but his technique was horrible and he's transitioning from LT. I think he deserves a chance to compete next year. Obviously bring a dude in to compete with him but I don't think he's a bust.

Far too early to judge Miller or Parker imo. 3rd round rookie tackles are going to struggle. Give them both a full off season and next year then let’s see where we are at.

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

In my amateur opinion I think Miller has issues with power DE he’s pretty good against the fast ones 

Fischer was top 5 tackle drafted by KC And STILL gets abused from time to time. It's going to happen. The top tier defensive ends are going to win a few times a game. Sadly we play a few of them multiple times a year. 

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

In my amateur opinion I think Miller has issues with power DE he’s pretty good against the fast ones 

I think we can all agree he needs to add muscle this offseason.

it was storming bad in Oakland before the game... stopped right before kickoff, and didn't start coming down until the game was over.literally started pouring once the game ended...one local from Oakland said it was the sky crying from the team leaving... there was a huge Firework show after the game was over that didn't make the TV

Watching both the videos, it's interesting to see how totally different the two of them are. Derek Carr is a genuinely nice, respectful guy (maybe almost too nice for an NFL QB) who is complimentary about everyone and is always positive. On the other hand, Gruden... well, he's an ***.

I don't even necessarily mean that in a bad way, either. He definitely hasn't lost the fire he had when he coached the first time around, and for all he has the massive ego that results in him making questionable personnel decisions, you cannot deny the passion he has for the game or that he cares. The way he is, if I was playing for him, it would be a mixture of wanting to play well to impress him, playing well so as not to get chewed out in front of everyone, and playing well to shut him up. Plus his constant whining at the refs must make them take a split-second to think extra hard about some of their calls.

I don't like Jon Gruden, the person - he has too much power and treats people like dirt. But I think Jon Gruden the head coach is a great fit for this organisation.

Archived