Week 16 GDT: Chicago Bears at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I think another game where we will be pretty competitive in. But the Bears are on another level than the Seahawks and though Trubisky is super inconsistent, the Bears should have enough to pull away in the 2nd half. A few things I want to see:

-More Solly on the inside and want to see him build off his performance from last week

-Can Moore hold up opposite of Sherman for the second consecutive game?

-McGlinchey did well vs Miller, and now he has another monster to go up against in Mack. 

-Mullens faces his first elite defense since becoming a starter. Can he have similar success?

-Pettis has been on a roll since the Bucs game but he goes up against some very solid corners. Another good game from the rook?

I think Bears win something along the lines of 27-17.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fun note - if we manage to win this game, there's a good chance we finish with 6 wins as there would likely be no reason for the Rams to play starters in week 17. 

Unless Saints lose week but yeah, we go from the #1 pick to like the 9th or 10th pick for consecutive seasons lol.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Unless Saints lose week but yeah, we go from the #1 pick to like the 9th or 10th pick for consecutive seasons lol.

Yeah, and that's not impossible this week, though I think the Saints should obviously be favored. 

If Mullens has a really good showing this week, which is not something I expect, it may be worth re-evaluating his potential lol

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, and that's not impossible this week, though I think the Saints should obviously be favored. 

If Mullens has a really good showing this week, which is not something I expect, it may be worth re-evaluating his potential lol

If he has a good game against this defense that is playing lights out then you definitely have to start looking at him differently. He would have three strong games back to back to back vs Denver/Seattle/Chicago. Crazy after how bad he looked in the 2nd half of the Giants game and the entire Bucs game. 

Shanny gets his RB and QB in last year's draft that amount to crap, yet the UDFA signings of Breida and Mullens prove to be huge. Amazing right? Lol. 

Theres twisted part of me that wants to see Mullens vs Jimmy G turn into a real thing. This franchise has a propensity for dramatic QB competitions. I love it and hate it at the same time. Lets see Mullens put together a big performance against Chi-town, and maybe we can consider it. 

Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing how Saleh responds with a gameplan vs a really creative playcaller in Nagy. These next couple games of DJ Reed, Tarvarius Moore, and Marcell Harris all together paint a very clear picture of how we approach this offseason. 

16 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Theres twisted part of me that wants to see Mullens vs Jimmy G turn into a real thing. This franchise has a propensity for dramatic QB competitions. I love it and hate it at the same time. Lets see Mullens put together a big performance against Chi-town, and maybe we can consider it. 

Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing how Saleh responds with a gameplan vs a really creative playcaller in Nagy. These next couple games of DJ Reed, Tarvarius Moore, and Marcell Harris all together paint a very clear picture of how we approach this offseason. 

It's really fun to think about, though realistically, we all know Mullens is probably a Colt McCoy type player. Honestly, if I can get a day two pick for him after this year because teams do weird things, I'm probably jumping all over it. 

I'm looking forward to seeing if shanny can out scheme that defense and fangio. I want to see a ton of screens, particularly tight end middle screens, to combat that pass rush

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really fun to think about, though realistically, we all know Mullens is probably a Colt McCoy type player. Honestly, if I can get a day two pick for him after this year because teams do weird things, I'm probably jumping all over it. 

I'm looking forward to seeing if shanny can out scheme that defense and fangio. I want to see a ton of screens, particularly tight end middle screens, to combat that pass rush

There should also be a higher percentage of man, mostly with two high over the top and sometimes robber 1. There's enough tape for the opposition to know that playing zone against Shanny and Mullens (or Shanny and most dudes that can go through his progressions) is not a great way to make a living if you have the corners, and Chicago does. I want to see Pettis and Kittle burn this man and also see which concepts we turn to as our aces against it. It's going to be our biggest bugaboo next year, too. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree with him that there will certainly be inquiries, and I think that if we get a day 2 pick for him, it's going to be really hard to say no. 

What's important to us, a third rounder or a capable back-up? Jimmy has 10 NFL starts and already two injuries significant enough to miss games. In 2016, he basically only missed 2 and a half games, because Brady was coming back either way. But this year, he missed 13 games. Let's say we're having a solid season next year, with our new found pass rush, a healthy dose of turnovers, and a potent offense, and week 15, with our chances to make the playoffs on the line, Jimmy has to miss one game. What do you want more : Beat Hard and a third round pick, or Mullens? Right now, I'd rather have Mullens.

Just now, rudyZ said:

What's important to us, a third rounder or a capable back-up? Jimmy has 10 NFL starts and already two injuries significant enough to miss games. In 2016, he basically only missed 2 and a half games, because Brady was coming back either way. But this year, he missed 13 games. Let's say we're having a solid season next year, with our new found pass rush, a healthy dose of turnovers, and a potent offense, and week 15, with our chances to make the playoffs on the line, Jimmy has to miss one game. What do you want more : Beat Hard and a third round pick, or Mullens? Right now, I'd rather have Mullens.

Amazingly, Shanny doesn't even appear willing to commit to Mullens as the back up next year. He's basically stated multiple times that he thinks there will be a good competition between them next year and that they are basically "neck and neck". Which completely amazes me, but I digress. 

As for the pick / mullens? Hard to say. I think it largely depends on what else you do, when you get the offer, etc. For example, if the offer of a third comes in early in the off season, and we can sign someone like fitzpatrick to be the back up? I'm fine with that. I'm also not completely sold on Mullens' long term effectiveness, so there's that, but that's the same way I'm not sold on Jimmy G as a top flight NFL starter (that is to say, there's far too limited a sample size for both). but there's certainly a balance system with regards to his play / what's offered / when and how he plays well, etc.  The problem for me is that if he goes out there and has a good game against Chicago, and we get offers...well, having a good game against Chicago is maybe going to make me have to re-evaluate him, you know? I'd be more open to dealing him for sure if we got a similar offer for him and he was bad against the bears lol. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Amazingly, Shanny doesn't even appear willing to commit to Mullens as the back up next year. He's basically stated multiple times that he thinks there will be a good competition between them next year and that they are basically "neck and neck". Which completely amazes me, but I digress. 

As for the pick / mullens? Hard to say. I think it largely depends on what else you do, when you get the offer, etc. For example, if the offer of a third comes in early in the off season, and we can sign someone like fitzpatrick to be the back up? I'm fine with that. I'm also not completely sold on Mullens' long term effectiveness, so there's that, but that's the same way I'm not sold on Jimmy G as a top flight NFL starter (that is to say, there's far too limited a sample size for both). but there's certainly a balance system with regards to his play / what's offered / when and how he plays well, etc.  The problem for me is that if he goes out there and has a good game against Chicago, and we get offers...well, having a good game against Chicago is maybe going to make me have to re-evaluate him, you know? I'd be more open to dealing him for sure if we got a similar offer for him and he was bad against the bears lol. 

If he lights up the Bears, maybe we'll have to entertain trade offers for Jimmy! ;)

Honestly, I think we should at least keep Mullens through next year. We'll still have him under control after next year, and then we can trade him.

Although... this year's draft looks pretty bad, QB wise... he might never have as much value. So what do I know... I like the kid. The staff likes the kid. The kid is probably are best insurance for a Jimmy GQB injury. In any given year, I'd be okay spending a third rounder on a young QB to groom to be a capable back-up. So I'm okay with not getting a third rounder to keep our young QB who seems already capable to be a back-up. Although, if the staff feels Beat Hard is making progress (which we are not seeing as fans), or if they get another gem off the street à la Mullens, then sure, trade Mullens and let him take a shot at starting somewhere. It would be exciting to see him thrive. But ultimately, I think he would go somewhere, have middling results, and ultimately he'll come back home. Some QBs are career back-ups in one specific system. It might just be that Mullens is specifically tailored for Kyle's offense.

Archived