Week 16 GDT: Chicago Bears at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, rudyZ said:

Entertaining effort. We played a great defense and moved the ball. A special focus has to be placed on redzone offense, this offseason. For real.

Assuming that we move Pettis to the X role with a rotation in the slot, it's imperative that we have a better receiver opposite him. LIS earlier, Goodwin is just a guy, and he's a rotational receiver. He really has no business on the field in certain situations and areas, specifically, the red zone. A guy like Harry could be a really good fit for us. Maybe even a guy like David Sills, though he'd take time to adjust I think. 

I only kept up with the game on the ESPN app. It sounds cruel to some people, but it's good that we lost. The victory over Seattle was already bad enough. The 49ers would just be shooting themselves in the foot beating the Bears and Rams. I hear the Rams are going to be playing their starters next week. Fabulous. Best case scenario is a graceful loss as I've been saying. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

We were #3 even last year so I was super confused when I kept reading #4. 

Only counting games that had been played. Tank a thon includes games that haven't been played, so it's the one that will matter. We are now ahead of the Jets both ways

4 minutes ago, 49ers Finest said:

I have a good feeling that Raiders win tomorrow too. So hopefully were at two! Sucks that we still miss out on Bosa but hopefully we can trade back a bit and still grab josh allen

It's not impossible if we are at 2 that the Cardinals pass on Bosa as crazy as it would seem. The need a guy on the interior more than they need an edge. I don't think it's likely, but it could make some sense

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not impossible if we are at 2 that the Cardinals pass on Bosa as crazy as it would seem. The need a guy on the interior more than they need an edge. I don't think it's likely, but it could make some sense

They need to add some offensive players first and foremost. And start with LT. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

And Jonah Williams. They might trade back to someone who wants Boss though, which I’m ok with. 

But it if I was a Cards fan, not protecting Rosen would be infuriating.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:45 PM, N4L said:

As for this game, I think it's going to be a slug fest. The over under is 43 and I'm thinking it will be under. Last time we played it was like 15-9 right? Garoppolo's first start in red and gold. 

Our defense has really played well the last two weeks. Marcel Harris looks like a guy that was heavily recruited out of HS, DJ Reed has played well in the slot (he's not a FS, which is where we had him). Armstead has really come on strong. Buckner is Buckner. I think the guys are finally starting to understand the zone defense lol 

It's going to be a one possession game and I think the niners have a sneaky chance of coming in the backdoor late in the game

The only thing I am hoping for during these next two weeks is the Rams to not have a first round bye. That would mean they'd probably play Minnesota or the eagles at home in the first round rather than having a bye. I really like both of those teams' chances against the Rams WC weekend. The Rams being 0-2 in the playoffs would be hilarious to me. So the bears winning this weekend, then beating the Rams next weekend would be fantastic from that standpoint. 

Also losing to the bears this week at a minimum makes the Rams play their starters next week, which even if they get a bye would be fantastic, but imagine the Rams losing to us week 17 then having to play another game in week 18? It would be splendid

I'm just gonna requote this for accuracy. Nailed it. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Only counting games that had been played. Tank a thon includes games that haven't been played, so it's the one that will matter. We are now ahead of the Jets both ways

I could definitely see it.

Also, is it possible Hawks rest their starters next week if they win tonight? I think they lock the fifth seed with a win tonight, since even if the vikings win next week, they have the tie. So hawks would be ahead

edit: nvm, they can lock a wildcard birth, but 5th and 6th would still be in the air next week, even with a W

17 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yo @N4L you POSITIVE we will get the ball back two more times? Lol, Bears have dominated TOP in the 2nd half by milking the clock on every possession they have had. One more first down and this is a wrap. 

I'm a positive person who was feeling optimistic that we would force a punt. We almost did with 6 minutes left on the clock. 

It did take a somewhat lucky break to even get the ball back at all. 

Once we did I was very confident that we were going to win. 

Mullens was pretty fearless today, he trusted the OL to protect him long enough to let some routes develop. He did get hit as he threw a couple of times but it didn't seem to affect him on the next play. He did miss a few throws though. 

My seats are on the opposite side of the cameras, the people saying Leonard flloyd was going to run mullens down on the last play are dead wrong. I watched the replay once I got home, I can see why you'd say that from watching it on TV, it was a deceiving angle. 

He also had Goodwin open for the touchdown. If he sets his feet better, he might have actually been able to get the ball there. Goodwin was behind the S by a few steps and had room to run. 

I think the weak arm really showed on that play. Russell Wilson for example would have dropped it in the bucket in the back of the endzone

Hopefully next year we won't have as many opposing teams fans in the stadium. It's been pretty bad the last few weeks. Some of the bears fans were very sure of themselves and Chicago fans in general have a reputation (They travel well because Chicago is a horrible place to live and so everyone leaves and moves away) 

(Also the let's go ****-**** chant sounds really dumb when your team has one syllable. Let's go bayerz? Bay-erz? DUMB) 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I'm a positive person who was feeling optimistic that we would force a punt. We almost did with 6 minutes left on the clock. 

It did take a somewhat lucky break to even get the ball back at all. 

Once we did I was very confident that we were going to win. 

Mullens was pretty fearless today, he trusted the OL to protect him long enough to let some routes develop. He did get hit as he threw a couple of times but it didn't seem to affect him on the next play. He did miss a few throws though. 

My seats are on the opposite side of the cameras, the people saying Leonard flloyd was going to run mullens down on the last play are dead wrong. I watched the replay once I got home, I can see why you'd say that from watching it on TV, it was a deceiving angle. 

He also had Goodwin open for the touchdown. If he sets his feet better, he might have actually been able to get the ball there. Goodwin was behind the S by a few steps and had room to run. 

I think the weak arm really showed on that play. Russell Wilson for example would have dropped it in the bucket in the back of the endzone

Hopefully next year we won't have as many opposing teams fans in the stadium. It's been pretty bad the last few weeks. Some of the bears fans were very sure of themselves and Chicago fans in general have a reputation (They travel well because Chicago is a horrible place to live and so everyone leaves and moves away) 

(Also the let's go ****-**** chant sounds really dumb when your team has one syllable. Let's go bayerz? Bay-erz? DUMB) 

It was just highly unlikely we would get the ball back two times with the way the game was going. Bears were milking the clock on every possession as Saleh was content on just playing soft zones and giving them nothing over the top. To be fair, Saleh led defense allowed only 14 points today, 23 last week and 14 the week prior vs Denver. The defense has been playing some damn good disciplined ball, that's all we can ask for. But he should have still adjusted some and blitzed more. And he did start doing that later in the game. To no one's surprise, it actually worked! But Moore did allow some receptions late. Made up for it with the FF, but he has a lot to work on. Has some potential for sure, but just not sure if he can flip his hips well enough and change direction to truly be a starter in this league. 

Archived