Week 16 GDT: Chicago Bears at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No disrespect, but I'll take Lynch's word on this matter over anyone else's. 

I believe Lynch was more talking about that for them they only considered the Bears offer because they didn't want to move down too far and lose Thomas. So it could very well be that the Browns or other teams where calling/interested but we wheren't and used that to get the Bears to give up more.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No disrespect, but I'll take Lynch's word on this matter over anyone else's. 

At the end of the day Lynch doesn't really have anything to be proud of as a result of this trade so what does it even matter?

26 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

But he doesn't know he is negotiating against himself. Things like that afterwards offcourse look bad but when you are 100% set on Trubisky being a franchise QB you don't take the risk to lose him if you have indication other teams feel that same way and are in need. In he end that wasn't the case but in the moment you have to go with what you hear and feel will happen and sometimes that means you are basically negotiating against yourself altough i believe it had more to do with us not wanting to trade down further than that one spot instead of it really being only the Bears being interested.

I get that, but that was still not a good trade however you look at it. The Bears gave up far too much to move down one spot when it wasn't necessary. Maybe they were paranoid that someone would jump up for Trubisky, but again that wasn't going to happen. 

How else are we supposed to judge things? So do we give Shanahan a pass for moving up to get Beathard when it wasn't really necessary? Could you say well he thought someone else was going to take him before our pick? I'm sorry, but just like the Bears trade, that was a stupid unnecessary trade made by Shanahan. 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think Lynch's words on this is why most Chicago fans take a little joy in watching him struggle.

It was odd that he took such a strong victory lap about the trade in the media. Most NFL execs will not disclose much about their conversations and rarely show up another GM.

Which is totally fair. But I don't think he would be lying that the Bears were negotiating against themselves. 

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

At the end of the day Lynch doesn't really have anything to be proud of as a result of this trade so what does it even matter?

That is relevant in what way? The discussion was about Pace getting killed for that trade up. The Niners could have drafted three HOFers from that trade or three busts but that wouldn't change anything about the actual trade by Pace. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

That is relevant in what way? The discussion was about Pace getting killed for that trade up. The Niners could have drafted three HOFers from that trade or three busts but that wouldn't change anything about the actual trade by Pace. 

It's relevant because it's stupid that people even talked about it in the first place, making Lynch out to be some genius, when really on the surface so far it has worked out way more in the Bears favor more than it has in the 49ers.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I get that, but that was still not a good trade however you look at it. The Bears gave up far too much to move down one spot when it wasn't necessary. Maybe they were paranoid that someone would jump up for Trubisky, but again that wasn't going to happen. 

How else are we supposed to judge things? So do we give Shanahan a pass for moving up to get Beathard when it wasn't really necessary? Could you say well he thought someone else was going to take him before our pick? I'm sorry, but just like the Bears trade, that was a stupid unnecessary trade made by Shanahan. 

That is the only part I disagree with.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Which is totally fair. But I don't think he would be lying that the Bears were negotiating against themselves. 

I am not sure how honest he was. It was just weird to see him spike the football to Peter King.

I was actually surprised anything about the negotiations leaked and that they painted Pace in a bad light.

My guess is the truth lies somewhere in the middle. My guess is they took calls, but it was only the Bears that were getting super serious.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure how honest he was. It was just weird to see him spike the football to Peter King.

I was actually surprised anything about the negotiations leaked and that they painted Pace in a bad light.

My guess is the truth lies somewhere in the middle. My guess is they took calls, but it was only the Bears that were getting super serious.

Was this in the article with King when he was in the draft room? I forgot when that part was actually leaked. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Was this in the article with King when he was in the draft room? I forgot when that part was actually leaked. 

Peter King had interviews with Lynch and Paraag, where they really under the bused Pace.

And then Lynch took a victory lap in pretty much every post draft media appearance.

It was huge news in Chicago. Pace got destroyed for it. Now Pace is on a real victory lap around town with all the media guys that flamed him using that King article and the interviews.

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

It's relevant because it's stupid that people even talked about it in the first place, making Lynch out to be some genius, when really on the surface so far it has worked out way more in the Bears favor more than it has in the 49ers.

I'm not really sure how that trade worked in the Bears favor since you guys would have gotten Trubisky with the next pick anyways.

But for you to kill Lynch for leaking it to the media is fair as I stated before. Also not really ethical killing another fellow GM. Though he did praise Trubisky saying he was the highest rated QB on our board and that Pace did what he had to do to get his guy. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think they gave up that much when you look at the trade charts and stuff like that. 

Judging trades is a difficult thing in my eyes because there are so many things going on behind the scenes that we have no idea about. Judging the Beathard trade on the end result is easy because he isn't worth the pick we used on him. And the whole discussion about moving up to get your guy versus staying pat/trading down is always a difficult one for me. I understand wanting to move up when you see a guy sitting there you have much higher on your board than other players still available. Which is why i don't mind the move to trade up for Beathard but judging the player we picked in the end it wasn't good but if we stayed at our pick and grabbed him it would be the same result because the player wasn't good enough which comes down to how we evaluated him.

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You're playing the result

Just now, Forge said:

You're playing the result

The bashing Pace is also partly results based.

The trade looks worse because there were clearly 3 QBs from that draft that can play. If Mahomes and Watson were struggling, then the trade does not look as bad or unnecessary.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I don't think they gave up that much when you look at the trade charts and stuff like that. 

Judging trades is a difficult thing in my eyes because there are so many things going on behind the scenes that we have no idea about. Judging the Beathard trade on the end result is easy because he isn't worth the pick we used on him. And the whole discussion about moving up to get your guy versus staying pat/trading down is always a difficult one for me. I understand wanting to move up when you see a guy sitting there you have much higher on your board than other players still available. Which is why i don't mind the move to trade up for Beathard but judging the player we picked in the end it wasn't good but if we stayed at our pick and grabbed him it would be the same result because the player wasn't good enough which comes down to how we evaluated him.

So then my question is how should we judge a move a team makes? Because every move a team makes can be justified when it comes down to "getting their guy" right? 

Archived