Week 16 GDT: Chicago Bears at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

29 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I forgot where I heard it, but I think Mullens is dead last in "aggressive throws" or air yards per attempt. I think it was PFF metric. Kittle is a big reason why the base YPA is high. 

Osweiler is lower, but I believe that's it. He throws less than 10% of his throws into coverage within one yard of the receiver. I've mentioned it a few times. It's actually from NFL's next gen starts

The Bears generate a ton of pressure. I think we are up to 16 guys on defense with a sack.

It is relentless and comes in waves. Our backups generate a ton of pressure.

It will be more than Mullins has seen. I will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Cousins, Stafford, and Goff imploded recently. Darnold had a miserable day, but avoided the implosion. 

Hard to say the niners 'lost' that trade because we got the guy we would have drafted anyway and received additional draft capital.

If the niners didn't 'lose' then is it possible for the other side to 'win'? Also, if it's too early for everyone involved to get an actual draft grade, then isnt this just speculation? 

Solomon Thomas' draft grade is still an i for incomplete. He's not an edge but that's where he's been playing until recently. On the inside he has started to flash. No one has ever questioned his physical prowess or his work ethic. The guy has also been through the ringer with some of the personal stuff that has happened to him. 

The bears got their QB, but for as much as Solomon Thomas' draft grade is an I, you gotta give a young QB in the first year of an offense the same grade. I liked trubs coming out, I thought he had all of the tools you would want in a QB and you could tell he was coachable. 

Nagys has done an amazing job at designing and calling plays. Trubs has played within the offense at times, and been masterful with his legs in others. 

On the other hand he's struggled going through his reads and has stared down receivers. He tends to lock on to this first read. Nagy has gotten the first read open a lot, which is what I mean when I say he operates within the offense. There are times where it almost reminds me of early Kaepernick. He's making plays but you wonder if he will be able to make adjustments down the road. 

It's too early to say how either of these guys will really pan out. They say that it really takes 2 full seasons to judge a QB. Interior DLmen also have one of the hardest transitions from college to the pros. 

Let's also not forget that you basically need to include Dante Pettis in this because the bears 2017 third turned into the saints 2018 second, which we traded to get Dante Pettis. 

Again, it's too early to declare 'winner' of the trade, and even if it wasn't, there is just no way on Earth you could say the niners 'lost'. Saying they made a mistake by not drafting trubs, OK, I understand if that's the arguement you want to make. The niners were never going to draft him, so the trade has nothing to do with it, and that is a completely separate conversation entirely. 

As for this game, I think it's going to be a slug fest. The over under is 43 and I'm thinking it will be under. Last time we played it was like 15-9 right? Garoppolo's first start in red and gold. 

Our defense has really played well the last two weeks. Marcel Harris looks like a guy that was heavily recruited out of HS, DJ Reed has played well in the slot (he's not a FS, which is where we had him). Armstead has really come on strong. Buckner is Buckner. I think the guys are finally starting to understand the zone defense lol 

It's going to be a one possession game and I think the niners have a sneaky chance of coming in the backdoor late in the game. 

The only thing I am hoping for during these next two weeks is the Rams to not have a first round bye. That would mean they'd probably play Minnesota or the eagles at home in the first round rather than having a bye. I really like both of those teams' chances against the Rams WC weekend. The Rams being 0-2 in the playoffs would be hilarious to me. So the bears winning this weekend, then beating the Rams next weekend would be fantastic from that standpoint. 

Also losing to the bears this week at a minimum makes the Rams play their starters next week, which even if they get a bye would be fantastic, but imagine the Rams losing to us week 17 then having to play another game in week 18? It would be splendid

Kyle Shanahan is 7-1 in December

On 12/21/2018 at 3:02 PM, Justone2 said:

They where the only ones that where negotiated that Peter King wrote off. We went in the day with the Bears offer as our preferred offer but we could have had other offers on the table. Not saying we would have taken them or that they where seriously thinking about taking any of them but they could have been there. Once the Bears upped there offer we basically agreed on the trade and executed it once Garnett was gone.

Lynch did an interview, no I don’t remember where, but I remember it. 

He said they had several inquires and interest in 2nd pick. They coveted Thomas and didn’t want to move too far down draft. That is why they traded with Bears.  They may or may not have made a deal with another team sans a Bears offer, he didn’t say for sure in that interview, but they were leaning towards it.

Couple that with credible sources that said  KC and Browns, at least, we’re coveting MT and Pace absolutely made right decision in terms of securing MT.  It does look like MT was wrong pick in hindsight, but not necessarily a bad pick.  Using hindsight  Mahomes goes number one overall. 

Neither team won that trade.  Almost 3 years in it looks like Bears had better draft of two though.  

Charles was the first one to report this. Lombardi later in interviews said he asked around like crazy and couldn't find another team interested in the #2 pick. Then Lynch pretty much alluded to that in future interviews he did. There were no serious suitors for the #2 pick aside from the Bears. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was wondering why Mitchell wasn't inactive the last two games with him getting no playing time. 

Has Coleman been active for a game at any point this year? 

I'm wondering if the terms of the condition on the trade were that he had to be active at least once this season. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Has Coleman been active for a game at any point this year? 

I'm wondering if the terms of the condition on the trade were that he had to be active at least once this season. 

No hasn't been active at all. Guess that could very well be about conditions of the trade or else it would make no sense to have him inactive every week and not cutting him once.

Just now, Justone2 said:

No hasn't been active at all. Guess that could very well be about conditions of the trade or else it would make no sense to have him inactive every week and not cutting him once.

Plus, given that I have to imagine Gilliam is gone next year (I can't believe that we are going to pay him 5 million or something next year for a swing tackle when we have Coleman on like 700K), there's no reason not to make him active and Gilliam inactive unless that was the condition of the trade. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Plus, given that I have to imagine Gilliam is gone next year (I can't believe that we are going to pay him 5 million or something next year for a swing tackle when we have Coleman on like 700K), there's no reason not to make him active and Gilliam inactive unless that was the condition of the trade. 

Yeah we basically are redshirting Coleman this year i guess.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was wondering why Mitchell wasn't inactive the last two games with him getting no playing time. 

Probably just insurance. DJ Jones is a young player who hasn't been the starter before. I think this is a great sign about how we feel moving forward, and it is the right move. D.J. Jones can really help that 2017 draft for Lynch. Him and Taylor rounding back into his scrappy form. 

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jets are beating the Packers 35-20. Would be HUGE if they hold on here. Would assure us at worst a top 3 pick if we don't win the next two weeks. 

Jaguars winning was good for us, too. Moves them a game ahead. Giants and Falcons winning at the moment which all helps us keep a higher pick if we manage to win another game. 

Archived