Why would Fangio leave?

ibt734

He has the best D in the league. Does anyone think he wants to deal with the crap that comes with being a HC? He's a 60 YO man. He has helped form a D that can be top three for at least the next four years. Why would he want to go somewhere to fix some other team's problems? I think he loves where he is and where the team is at. 

Why would he leave? Accomplish a life-long dream, I would think.

I'd hate to see him go, absolutely hate it, but I'd be happy for him. Either we'd elevate Donatell or hire a recently fired HC to fill the position (Bowles is on the hot seat, etc). 

Nobody wants D coaches to be HCs right now. 

You get a good OC and he is next hot HC candidate and you are changing offenses all the time. 

If you don’t  have a good OC that is bad too.  

Much easier to start over on defense than offense. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Nobody wants D coaches to be HCs right now. 

You get a good OC and he is next hot HC candidate and you are changing offenses all the time. 

If you don’t  have a good OC that is bad too.  

Much easier to start over on defense than offense. 

I agree. No one is going to hire a 60 year old DC to be their HC now.

2 hours ago, ibt734 said:

He has the best D in the league. Does anyone think he wants to deal with the crap that comes with being a HC? He's a 60 YO man. He has helped form a D that can be top three for at least the next four years. Why would he want to go somewhere to fix some other team's problems? I think he loves where he is and where the team is at. 

Even though I don't prefer the 3-4, I hope you're right, and think you probably are. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Why would he leave? Accomplish a life-long dream, I would think.

I'd hate to see him go, absolutely hate it, but I'd be happy for him. Either we'd elevate Donatell or hire a recently fired HC to fill the position (Bowles is on the hot seat, etc). 

He did interview for the 49ers job after Harbaugh, so at some point he was at least partially interested in being a head coach. Now, that was several years ago, so who's to say now. In the absence of the "hot" head coaching candidate this year, I could certainly see him getting some looks, but I really don't love his chances of landing a job if he does in fact interview, so I don't think you guys have too much to worry about. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

He did interview for the 49ers job after Harbaugh, so at some point he was at least partially interested in being a head coach. Now, that was several years ago, so who's to say now. In the absence of the "hot" head coaching candidate this year, I could certainly see him getting some looks, but I really don't love his chances of landing a job if he does in fact interview, so I don't think you guys have too much to worry about. 

He interviewed for the Bears HC job this offseason before Nagy was hired as well. I don't recall him getting any other HC interviews in the past couple years, but i feel like we blocked him from some DC interviews a couple times

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Selfishly -- VERY selfishly -- I don't want him to go anywhere.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Selfishly -- VERY selfishly -- I don't want him to go anywhere.

Same, I won't blame him or begrudge him in any way if he would leave, there is a level of prestige and obvious pay that he would get that he has never had. It has to be a bit of a kick in the *** to see all these guys with 1/3 the credentials getting shots but you haven't after having a hell of a track record.

If he did I would like to see Ed Donatell get his chance at DC if we are looking in-house. His work with the DBs has been fantastic, Wilks is seriously on the hotseat and we have the talent to run a 3-4 or 4-3 (nickel will be the base anyway), Bowles is as well (and I love his versatility/aggressiveness as a DC). Vance Joseph has Cutler-level hate from AZ right now too, and he is a predominantly 3-4 guy, so he could step in and obviously did well with what he had in MIA.

My replacement ranking -

1 -Bowles

2- Wilks

3- Donatell

4- Joseph

4 minutes ago, dafreak said:

I dont think he will leave but who are the young up and coming hot shot defensive coordinators?

Not sure about young ones specifically, but I do have a list of guys that might be overlooked commonly.

Other than our own DB coach Donatell 

Kris Richard has some DC experience but was just hired on by DAL as a DB coach, so I doubt they let him go.

Perry Fewell has been DC, interim head coach, and was a DB coach under Lovie for a bit

Tomsula has never been an NFL DC but has HC experience and has years under VIc

Bears fan favorite Singletary could walk away from the Memphis Express HC job to get back to serious football. He took a break and seems to want to get back at it.  I personally don't know if this would be a good or bad idea as he is a legend in Chicago, and meathead fans might turn on Nagy for him if a bad season pops up.

Archived