Why would Fangio leave?

ibt734

I think he would take a HC job in a minute.  NFL is copycat and trendy.  Right now in 2019 defensive coaches becoming HCs is not part of trend.

Everyone wants to be part of offensive explosion that has seen 2018 break all kinds of scoring records. 

Now if Bears win SB with defense then a few owners may still hold to defense wins championships mentality. CW at moment though is a defense is short lived and an offense is 7 years to a decade. 

Because you eventually can't pay all your good defensive players and it takes a lot of them to make a really good defense.

It's funny reading these comments now after reading comments from earlier in the season from some of the same people saying they think Fangio is overrated and they're tired of his soft coverages, etc etc. :D

Call me crazy but I could see the Packers going hard after Fangio.  If anyone is going to command the respect of Rodgers I think Fangio is the guy. Plus what better way to weaken your divisional rival than to poach their star D coordinator?  Don't be surprised if it happens.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He gets paid like a first time head coach already.

He also can probably get a lifetime contract with the Bears right now.

I think it makes it tougher to take a bad HC job.

For real. I don't know if Fangio has ever won a SuperBowl but he has to know he has a GREAT chance with the current Bears. Might be enough for him to want to stay than go to a struggling organization and start over. 

11 hours ago, dafreak said:

I dont think he will leave but who are the young up and coming hot shot defensive coordinators?

Kris Richard is really the only guy. Maybe Matt Eberflus.  I think Freddie Kitchens is more likely to get an HC job than Vic at this point.  It's a shame, hes deserved one for a while, but In happy to keep him here as long as he wants to be.  Theres also some rumors of him being less than political when it comes to dealing with than management.

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

It's funny reading these comments now after reading comments from earlier in the season from some of the same people saying they think Fangio is overrated and they're tired of his soft coverages, etc etc. :D

Call me crazy but I could see the Packers going hard after Fangio.  If anyone is going to command the respect of Rodgers I think Fangio is the guy. Plus what better way to weaken your divisional rival than to poach their star D coordinator?  Don't be surprised if it happens.

I was one of those guys critical of Fangio, and I still kind of feel that way. We would be fine if he left, perhaps even better. Just my opinion, right or wrong.

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Kris Richard is really the only guy. Maybe Matt Eberflus.  I think Freddie Kitchens is more likely to get an HC job than Vic at this point.  It's a shame, hes deserved one for a while, but In happy to keep him here as long as he wants to be.  Theres also some rumors of him being less than political when it comes to dealing with than management.

Richard isn't a D-coordinator, he's a DB coach/pass game coordinator for the Cowboys.  Did everyone forget that Marinelli is still running that D down in Dallas?

I'll be surprised if Richard gets a HC job anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Richard isn't a D-coordinator, he's a DB coach/pass game coordinator for the Cowboys.  Did everyone forget that Marinelli is still running that D down in Dallas?

I'll be surprised if Richard gets a HC job anytime soon.

While he isnt the DC in title, its title only.  He was the DC I. Seattle and hes the calling the defense in Dallas.  Richard is THE defensive name to watch this offseason for an HC job.  But after Wilks, Bowles, and to a lesser extent Quinn, it's going to be hard for defensive guys to get HC jobs right now.

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My guess is if Fangio leaves, Todd Bowles is announced as DC shortly after.

That would be my guess, Nagy and he go waaayyyyy back.

I'd prefer Ed Donatell first, but he's been tied to Fangio's hip for a while.

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

I was one of those guys critical of Fangio, and I still kind of feel that way. We would be fine if he left, perhaps even better. Just my opinion, right or wrong.

Well at least you're honest lol.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fangio, but I also don't think he is some God that is irreplaceable.  He definitely has his fair share of downfalls too.  

He's a good coach but there is also a lot of talent on that defense for him to work with.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11559663

lol. To be fair though, I was leaning that way because we weren't getting consistent pressure with four, and that was getting us eaten alive when the QB had 3+ seconds t find a receiver, or we were playing poor situational football (having CBs 8 yards off when in 3rd and 1).

Once we got Mack and Hicks was getting more single blocking we were getting pressure changed, and Vic started bringing a bit more pressure it seemed after the MIA game where he kept playing soft pressure. Hell I think McManis blitzed 6-7 times last week.

So now that those initial gripes have been cleaned up, I'm happy as a clam. lol

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I never said he was bad. The opposite I’ve always said he was good.  

I just haven’t liked all his game plans (Miami) or his habit of almost always going prevent in big moments or long yardage.  

I prefer more aggression more often.  Fangio tends to be risk adverse. 

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I'm with @Sugashane and @dll2000. Just because you disagree with certain coaching strategies (and no one is going to talk me down from my point that Nagy and Fangio cost us the Patriots game)...well, that doesn't mean you think they're a terrible coach. He's adapted somewhat during the season too, which helps. 

Archived