Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

32 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

I don't disagree with the fact that he underperformed in comparison to the contract. And if we were strapped for cash that stopped us from signing players to improve our roster than I would be more apt to cut someone like Joyner or Whitehead. And if we need whiteheads 5.1M and it will allow us to sign Littleton and Schobert I would. But no team is going to create holes on a side of the ball that they are seriously lacking talent in. 

I agree. I was more talking about the Raiders putting Joyner at NCB and not trying him at FS at all during the season. I feel like with players the staff doesn’t like to admit mistakes. I wouldn’t cut Joyner but i would try him at FS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

I agree. I was more talking about the Raiders putting Joyner at NCB and not trying him at FS at all during the season. I feel like with players the staff doesn’t like to admit mistakes. I wouldn’t cut Joyner but i would try him at FS. 

I can’t work this out tbh. Joyner was a FS with the Rams so when  Joseph was out and the struggles Riley had had it seemed an obvious move. 

Would it be our scheme that meant we didn’t think Joyner was a good fit ? Read that the Rams played a lot of zone defense whereas Guenther likes to play man coverage. Means our safeties rotate so maybe they thought he would get matched against TEs too much? 

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

The system he was successful at FS was different the the system he is in now. PG doesn't play a FS and SS he plays a S1 and S2 scheme. 

I think Joyner could excel as a NCB/3rd Safety. 

Personally I would start him at FS in Base and bring in KoJo in Nickel and walk Joyner down to the NCB position.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

But he was toasted at NCB last season...hole season...what will change in 2020?

Probably nothing. He wasn't good when playing nickel for the Rams either. Looks like a very bad signing (due to the size of the contract) if he can't play S in our scheme and the only option is to play him at a position he was never good at. There's no doubt you don't want him matched up on TEs so is it worth scheming around that to let him play S? But I think it's a bit early to know who will play where with so many spots to fill in the back 7. If we land coverage LBs to match up with TEs, it could change that.

• Like 4

Spot on by Vic 🎯

Josh T. said, Chris Harris is much better in the slot at this point in his career. Lamarcus Joyner needs to play safety. I don’t get why coaches (usually unsuccessful ones) try to force players to fit their scheme instead of putting them in the best position to succeed.

Yeah, but there are some whispers that the reason the Rams let Joyner walk was that he wasn’t very good at safety, either. 

Idk how he wasn’t good at safety, he seemed to play quite well there for the rams.  We need to move him back imo,,,, if he plays a little slot that’s ok, I’m hoping he’s better than last year, but leaving him at just slot is a huge mistake.