16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Should have posted this here. Derek Carr's stats thus far this season:

• 19 TD
  • 8 INT
  • 3,864 YARDS
  • 7.4 AVG
  • 68.7 COMP %
  • 96 QBR

For reference: his comp %, avg, and yards are on pace for career highs. Carr hasn't thrown a pick in the past 10 games. All with the o-line taking a major step back, his #1 RB going down to injury early, and arguably the worst/slowest WR corp in the NFL. Gruden has Carr playing extremely well.

I admit I was calling for Carr's head early on but man oh man I hope we keep him for a long time with Gruden.

I had some serious doubts about Carr but it does look like it is clicking for him.  I would like to see some more down field looks to keep the defense honest but maybe that comes later.  It looks like Gruden told Carr to go out there and make the correct reads and do not care about the outcome this year.  It sucks for the people of Oakland that this is a throw away year but the future looks a little brighter for the team.  I hope this team brings in someone who is good at evaluating talent that Gruden trusts because I do not trust anyone in the building to draft well.

2018 - Throw away

2019 - Transition

2020 - Let the show begin

Now this next week I hope we lose.  It was a great send off to beat the Broncos last week but this week we will just hurt ourselves.  Talent wise we will go from drafting Allen, Williams, Bosa to drafting Clellin Ferrell type players.  After the top 4-5 players the talent level drops off and 6-20 is pretty similar.  I will be happy if Carr can finally go into Arrowhead and put up 40+ points but just barely beating them will hurt.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

So who are we going to replace Cable with?  Any ideas about coaches that are going to get released or coaches we could poach off of other teams with an assistant head coach/line coach title.

There is probably an old mop in the corner of the Coliseum somewhere that would be an upgrade. 

26 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Cable isn't going anywhere.

Already getting stories about him being the #1 priority to get rid of.  They are making excuses for him like rookie tackles and injuries to KO and Gabe but the smoke is starting to rise.  After what happened to us and what Seattle did this year I think it is pretty obvious.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Already getting stories about him being the #1 priority to get rid of.  They are making excuses for him like rookie tackles and injuries to KO and Gabe but the smoke is starting to rise.  After what happened to us and what Seattle did this year I think it is pretty obvious.

Don't get me wrong, I want him gone ASAP. But I haven't heard anything about Cable getting the axe just yet. 

Where are you hearing these things?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Where are you hearing these things?

Couple articles out there now. But mostly speculation based on his performance. No validity to any of it yet

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Tom-Cables-Future-With-Raiders-Isnt-Certain-503613841.html

https://justblogbaby.com/2018/12/27/the-raiders-first-order-of-business-should-be-to-fire-tom-cable/

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yes.  That is why I said smoke because it is already starting to be speculated before the season is over.  When they start this early it usually happens because it is pretty obvious.

I guess they're coming back?

The Raiders plan a significant roster overhaul this offseason.

A few players recently learned they won’t be affected.

Wide receiver Jordy Nelson, linebacker Tahir Whitehead, tight end Lee Smith and linebacker Kyle Wilber all received an assurance this week that they’re part of the team’s plans. All four were scheduled to make a roster bonus of varying amounts in March. Each received that amount here in December to provide the Raiders about $5 million in additional salary-cap space for 2019.

ESPN first reported the maneuvering. The 2019 roster bonuses were restructured into 2018 signing bonuses, people familiar with the terms said.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders-create-about-5m-in-cap-space-for-2019-1560945/

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I could be wrong but I think this makes it easier to cut them.  They would have no impact on the 2019 cap if they are cut.  It also buys us more time to decide if we want to keep them.  We have no deadline to make a decision.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I could be wrong but I think this makes it easier to cut them.  They would have no impact on the 2019 cap if they are cut.  It also buys us more time to decide if we want to keep them.  We have no deadline to make a decision.

It took me a minute to decipher, but I know that Whitehead and Nelson could have been cut with no dead cap if the team so chose. Also, this quote is somewhat telling:

“Normally when you hand out a bonus for next year’s season,” coach Jon Gruden said Friday, “there’s a pretty good chance those guys are coming back. If you watched Jordy play carefully the last four weeks when he’s been healthy, you see what he’s capable of doing.

“As we continue to improve this football team around some of the core guys that are here, I think you can even see better and better days ahead. So yeah, he’ll be back.”

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

It took me a minute to decipher, but I know that Whitehead and Nelson could have been cut with no dead cap if the team so chose. Also, this quote is somewhat telling:

I take any quote from Gruden about personnel with a grain of salt.  The paying players and then cutting them is not out of the norm for us.  We have been signing deals with vets and making sure they get paid but cutting them when we want to move forward.  Right now in Gruden's mind he wants to keep Nelson and Whitehead but if cutting them in few months allows him to do something he likes more he will not hesitate.  I do not have a problem with Gruden changing his mind.  I just think he talks to much without thinking about the future implications.