Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, raiders4life said:

Ok lets simplify this.

Lets say you just moved into a new apartment, but don't any furniture for your new living room! You only have $5,000 dollars that you can spend. What do you do? Do you spend all of it on a top of the line TV and luxury couch? Or do you budget and fill out the whole living room with decent lamps, a couple good coffee tables, wall decor and some knick knacks. You can make the room completely suit your personality, and feel comfortable, instead of being an empty room with a nice TV and couch.. and Wow! Surprise! You did a really good job budgeting and have some leftover cash! Unfortunately, it's not enough to upgrade the budget TV and couch, but I know! Let's save that money and start upgrading when there's some good deals! Whoopee! Life's awesome!

I already said they made the right move, my issue is with the thought we couldn't afford him if they wanted him, and that is not true. Would it make thinks harder in the future absolutely, but I would be really optimistic about this team with what we added if Mack was playing opposite Ferrell rightnow.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

So your going with we would have made every roster move that wasn't a 2019 free agent signing if we had signed Mack?

You can't make these assumptions or rationalizations in a vacuum.

No I'm saying we could have still afforded those moves.

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

No I'm saying we could have still afforded those moves.

Not necessarily but to add to that, the team would have been spending and letting guys go it different ways. Therefore the cap, shopping list and the list of guys we let go would have been different. Not to mention that Mack's cap hit jumped in 2019 and then again in 2020.

Most Overrated: Antonio Brown (Not saying he is not a great player but his position does not allow him to take over on his own)

Most Underrated: Gareon Conley

Best Player: Rodney Hudson

Key New Addition: Trent Brown

Could Surprise: Marquel Lee

Takes a Leap: Arden Key

Prove it Year:  Carr/Joyner  (Both need to justify those contracts)

Projecting NFL starters: 

QB: Derek Carr 
RB: Josh Jacobs 
WR: Antonio Brown 
WR: Tyrell Williams 
WR: Ryan Grant 
TE: Darren Waller 
LT: Kolton Miller 
LG: Denzelle Good 
C: Rodney Hudson 
RG: Gabe Jackson 
RT: Trent Brown

DE: Clelin Ferrell 
DT: Maurice Hurst 
DT: Justin Ellis 
DE: Arden Key 
OLB: Brandon Marshall 
MLB: Vontaze Burfict 
CB: Gareon Conley 
CB: Daryl Worley 
CB: Trayvon Mullen 
S: Lamarcus Joyner 
S: Johnathan Abram

» This is undeniably one of the most improved offensive rosters in football. Derek Carr's wideouts are brand new and vastly better. Josh Jacobs gives the team a "foundation back," to use a Mayock-ism. Trent Brown might get paid like a superstar for mid-level play, but he's a huge upgrade on last year's right tackle, Brandon Parker.

» The defense, on the other hand, still appears to be at least a year away. Jon Gruden and defensive coordinator Paul Guenther should be hoping to coach up this group to average, while identifying core young players like Johnathan Abram, Trayvon Mullen, Maurice Hurst, Clelin Ferrell and Arden Key.

» A ton of attention will be paid to Ferrell, the No. 4 overall pick in the draft, because the Raiders are so thin at the edge rusher position. Their top three figure to be Ferrell, Key and Benson Mayowa. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Mayowa beat one of the young guys out.

» Gruden's first pick since returning to the Raiders faces even bigger questions. Oakland will keep Kolton Miller as the starting left tackle after a baptism by fire last year. Miller ranked 76th (out of 80) among tackle qualifiers by Pro Football Focus in 2018. The player the 49ers stole one pick before the Raiderswere set to draft, Mike McGlinchey, finished 25th.

» There is an expectation that fifth-round pick Hunter Renfrow will step in immediately and catch a ton of passes out of the slot. Perhaps that will happen, but I'm not a smart enough evaluator of college players to expect someone taken that deep in the draft to beat out veterans like Ryan Grant and J.J. Nelson for a Week 1 job.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Interesting that we seem to be picking up some well respected staff from big teams. I imagine Mayock is a big pull, as I'm sure the no tax in Vegas too!

There have been some really positive developments since Mayock started. And say what you want about Gruden, but the young players love him and seem to want to play for him as evidenced by the quantity of knowing responses over the FA and draft period and the senior bowl UDFAs who can  here.

Not to get too carried away, but there seems to be a modicum of common sense coming from the building. Which, given the complete lack thereof for such a ridiculous length of time, is something to celebrate.

Most Overrated: Jalen Richard
Most Underrated: Don’t see a player on the Roster that you can say is underrated 
Best Player: Antonio Brown
Key New Addition: Trent Brown/Antonio Brown
Could Surprise: Arden Key
Takes a Leap: Conley 
Prove it Year: Derek Carr