Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

23 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

The closest poster here have been to any aspect of running a FO is probable setting their FF lineup or coaching kids. Some may have experience in putting together a draft board and getting into player scouting vie their tv and laptop but it just laughable that you really think anyone here could even get an internship breaking down film and making coffee runs.

Just because someone called a move or wanted to can a coach they didn't like, that isn't a qualification. It's grounds to pat each other on the back on the forum. But by all means add it to your resume.

No way of proving any of this so we can agree to disagree and move on.

All offseason, general manager Mike Mayock has been hyping up former Baltimore Ravens backup Darren Waller. He talked about how Moreau would be an option for replacing Cook, but Waller was set to be the more athletic tight end that is used primarily as a target for Derek Carr.

This statement seemed like hyperbole at first, but the Raiders proved Mayock correct when the second week of Organized Team Activities began. Carr targeted Waller on multiple routes as part of the first-team offense, which led to some big plays. The big tight end used his speed and athleticism to beat cornerbacks in coverage and bring in the passes at a dead sprint.

Following the practice session, offensive coordinator Greg Olson said that the Raiders let Jared Cook depart for New Orleans because they believed his presence was actually stunting Waller's growth in the offense. Instead of bringing the veteran back, they were going to throw Waller into the thick of the offense and push him to the limit. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but the Raiders are forging ahead with the raw talent leading the group.

"Darren has the skill set, he has the want to, he has the aggression to do it," Derek Carr said following the first session at OTAs. "Now, he just has to go do it. I'm really excited about him. Darren Waller is super, super fast if I'm being real, and he works his tail off. He's very smart. I can check a play within two seconds of the play clock being out, and he'll be on it and run the right thing. He's super fun to be around, he's a great guy."

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Article/Raiders-trade-tight-end-Bleacher-Report-offseason-move-132416610/

16 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Following the practice session, offensive coordinator Greg Olson said that the Raiders let Jared Cook depart for New Orleans because they believed his presence was actually stunting Waller's growth in the offense. Instead of bringing the veteran back, they were going to throw Waller into the thick of the offense and push him to the limit. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but the Raiders are forging ahead with the raw talent leading the group.

This is were I have an issue.  Waller was on the team with Cook for a whole 5 weeks.  Cook stunted nothing.  Gruden said he wanted him back.  Just stop the BS.  Maybe you thought he would be better, you wanted to go cheaper, he would eventually stunt his growth,....  Every time someone on this team talks it sounds like they are trying to spin something but just looking like liars.  Example of what should have been said. 

Press: Coach Olson why was Cook not re-signed? 

Olson:  We felt comfortable going in a different direction with the young talent we have on the team.  Moreau is doing well and Waller is already out there turning heads.

Not that hard and it does not sound like BS.  Gruden's BS is rubbing off on the rest of the staff.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Following the practice session, offensive coordinator Greg Olson said that the Raiders let Jared Cook depart for New Orleans because they believed his presence was actually stunting Waller's growth in the offense. Instead of bringing the veteran back, they were going to throw Waller into the thick of the offense and push him to the limit. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but the Raiders are forging ahead with the raw talent leading the group.

This is were I have an issue.  Waller was on the team with Cook for a whole 5 weeks.  Cook stunted nothing.  Gruden said he wanted him back.  Just stop the BS.  Maybe you thought he would be better, you wanted to go cheaper, he would eventually stunt his growth,....  Every time someone on this team talks it sounds like they are trying to spin something but just looking like liars.  Example of what should have been said. 

Press: Coach Olson why was Cook not re-signed? 

Olson:  We felt comfortable going in a different direction with the young talent we have on the team.  Moreau is doing well and Waller is already out there turning heads.

Not that hard and it does not sound like BS.  Gruden's BS is rubbing off on the rest of the staff.

What part makes him sound like a liar?

You don't know what happened at the end of the year in the locker room, practice field and behind closed doors that would qualify as stunting Waller. You are making assumptions to support your narrative that Gruden is this bad guy.

BTW Gruden is allowed to want Cook back and be still make the decision that they roll with someone else. He can change his mind, be convinced that even though he likes what Cook did last year that Waller can produce up to snuff or be rejected by Cook himself. All would qualify as valid turns of events to connect the dots from saying he wanted Cook back, to him not being here. We don't know.

They are allowed to be enthusiastic about a player and word it however they want. Damn, the stance you are taking on wording is cynical and petty just to bash Gruden.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You don't know what happened at the end of the year in the locker room, practice field and behind closed doors that would qualify as stunting Waller. You are making assumptions to support your narrative that Gruden is this bad guy.

BTW Gruden is allowed to want Cook back and be still make the decision that they roll with someone else. He can change his mind, be convinced that even though he likes what Cook did last year that Waller can produce up to snuff or be rejected by Cook himself. All would qualify as valid turns of events to connect the dots from saying he wanted Cook back, to him not being here. We don't know.

They are allowed to be enthusiastic about a player and word it however they want. Damn, the stance you are taking on wording is cynical and petty just to bash Gruden.

Preach.  Tired of people who just demand that their perspective be considered fact.  The majority of our posts are speculation, sometimes backed up with statistics and inside guidance/statements.  A majority of the staff has stated they believe in Waller, and IMO, even if he doesn't become what Cook was for us last season, he still has the potential to provide an impact.  We don't need him to be Cook 2.0, we need him to be a TE that can provide receiving support when the WRs aren't open due to double/triple teams.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I am going to paraphrase here.

Gruden:  We want Cook back.  He is our MVP.

Olsen:  He was stunting Waller's growth so we did not want to resign him.  

Can not be both.  Waller was only with the team for 5 weeks.  If Cook rejected us then they are just lying about what happened.  I am fine that the team wants to go in a different direction but do not try to BS all the time.  Inability to except rejection or except responsibility is a huge red flag for someone in a position of power.  I have been saying it for a long time but it is ego and eventually he will lose the locker room.  Then we will start this roller-coaster all over again.  This staff needs to take a lesson from BB and stop the word vomit.  You do not have to give all the information to answer a question.  I see it all the time when people try to tell you something and they do not get the response they want so they start to add and over exaggerate.

Take it with a grain of salt but back in 2011 Shaun King said "The ultimate issue, King said, is Gruden’s inability to tell the truth to the grown men who populate an NFL locker room.  Specifically, King said Gruden is “inherently dishonest.”  This is not the only player to come against him also.  It is different to lie to gain an advantage but Gruden and what Olsen said is different.  There is no advantage gained in what Olsen said or what Gruden has said about other players.  They sound more worried about themselves than the team is how it comes across for me.  You can see it differently than me and that is fine.  Only time will tell.  The season needs to hurry up and get here so we can have some answers and start talking about games again.  Kind of getting tired of arguing about OTAs, coaches, and the front office.  No matter what everyone have a good night and go Raider Nation.

When was he stunting his growth?  Was Cook stealing his trainers so he could not lift weights in the off-season?  The only 5 weeks he was here trying to learn the playbook so he was not getting first team reps in practice?  Was it because Cook was a pro bowler and Waller could not beat him for the first team spot?  Did Carr not have enough space in his contacts on his phone for 4 TEs so he never called him to practice?  Maybe it was a junior high school girl thing where Cook got jealous and could not handle Carr talking to other TEs.  Now if they said we felt he would stunt his growth going forward and we think he could be special that is something different.  But your pro bowl TE stunting the growth of a practice squad TE who was signed with 5 weeks lift in the season is BS.  I am fine with them going with Waller if you tell the truth.  For the money we think Waller is the better option.  They could word it better but that would also mean they have to except responsibility for the consequences of letting Cook go.  Now if Waller does not play well this year they could always say that Cook being around stunted his growth and he needs more time.  Will also give them another year to develop Moreau or draft someone else if they think Waller is not going to work.  They can then get rid of him and never face the responsibility of letting Cook go.  I am done with this topic also.  I need to stop listening to what they are saying and just wait for the season to start.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

When was he stunting his growth?  Was Cook stealing his trainers so he could not lift weights in the off-season?  The only 5 weeks he was here trying to learn the playbook so he was not getting first team reps in practice?  Was it because Cook was a pro bowler and Waller could not beat him for the first team spot?  Did Carr not have enough space in his contacts on his phone for 4 TEs so he never called him to practice?  Maybe it was a junior high school girl thing where Cook got jealous and could not handle Carr talking to other TEs.  Now if they said we felt he would stunt his growth going forward and we think he could be special that is something different.  But your pro bowl TE stunting the growth of a practice squad TE who was signed with 5 weeks lift in the season is BS.  I am fine with them going with Waller if you tell the truth.  For the money we think Waller is the better option.  They could word it better but that would also mean they have to except responsibility for the consequences of letting Cook go.  Now if Waller does not play well this year they could always say that Cook being around stunted his growth and he needs more time.  Will also give them another year to develop Moreau or draft someone else if they think Waller is not going to work.  They can then get rid of him and never face the responsibility of letting Cook go.  I am done with this topic also.  I need to stop listening to what they are saying and just wait for the season to start.

Yeah, you are done with this topic. You remind me of a crazy ex girlfriend over analazing txts and second hand convos and making up scenarios in your head. Just driving your self crazy while everyone around you laughs.

22 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Edited by NightTrainLane

10 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

It sounds promising, but we’ve had so many false dawns on players I’m still in wait and see mode until he proves something on the field.

It does at least sound like a legitimate reason why they let Cook walk.