Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I don't know if there is a link or something missing on my screen but this quite clearly isn't true or is a huge U turn after the incident.

It also raises the question whether we'll retain top level talent after their rookie contract ends, seems a risky way to do business relying on finding a stud every 4 years to replace the guy you won't pay for and hoping he develops in 2, even then you're only getting maybe 2 to 3 years of high level production. I can understand we don't want to have huge money tied up at too many positions but you're also severely handicapping yourself if you're only looking for inexpensive guys.

I hardly think passing on role players who want to get superstar money means that they won’t pay their own guys. Elite pass rushers rarely hit the open market like QBs so in FA your options are pretty limited. I personally wasn’t excited for anyone. 

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I don't know if there is a link or something missing on my screen but this quite clearly isn't true or is a huge U turn after the incident.

It also raises the question whether we'll retain top level talent after their rookie contract ends, seems a risky way to do business relying on finding a stud every 4 years to replace the guy you won't pay for and hoping he develops in 2, even then you're only getting maybe 2 to 3 years of high level production. I can understand we don't want to have huge money tied up at too many positions but you're also severely handicapping yourself if you're only looking for inexpensive guys.

There was plenty of good edge talent on the market this year. If Mayock is looking for "fair prices", I don't see how he would feel good consistently "overpaying" defensive players in FA, considering their valuation.

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Interesting......... I don't think we're far away from where each position would rank skills wise there either. The outlier might be CB where I think we should be pretty strong with Conley, Worley and Mullen. That looks a strong, decently deep group to me even though Joyner is not included money wise but will be playing a lot of slot.

QB - Decent to good value (though I suspect a lot won't agree) :)
RB - To be seen but seems about right given our depth and good spread of skills
WR - A little high maybe as AB is the only top guy
TE - About right for the bodies we have, hopefully one will step up an make this good value

OL - Must perform better than last year but on paper looks about right maybe a little high

DL - You get what you pay for
LB - We just don't seem to value these and I can understand it somewhat, really like Morrow this year to make a leap

S - Good deep group and we should see good play from these guys this year (assume Joyner is included here)
CB - Great value for Conley, Worley and Mullen - I think Conley is a star

K/P - Overpaid no matter what they earn considering Townsend

DL and LB will be likely 1st round targets next year. As for WR, it's a sneaky need if Williams doesn't perform because of the 1 year out in his contract and how absolutely stacked next year's WR class is.  Tight end is another obvious one depending on how things play out.

If Williams struggles and we can land a future #1 like Ceedee Lamb in the mid to late 1st round, I'd pull the trigger.

That being said, I'd rather have Williams ball out and spend both picks on defense.

17 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I hardly think passing on role players who want to get superstar money means that they won’t pay their own guys. Elite pass rushers rarely hit the open market like QBs so in FA your options are pretty limited. I personally wasn’t excited for anyone. 

It was a veiled reference to Mack.............Not wanting to pony up for an elite defensive talent :)

I agree that the top defensive talent this year would have been overpriced and would have been a PR disaster after we traded Mack 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

It was a veiled reference to Mack.............Not wanting to pony up for an elite defensive talent :)

I agree that the top defensive talent this year would have been overpriced and would have been a PR disaster after we traded Mack 

Well that was also before they hired Mayock, obviously Gruden is in charge, but according to reports Mayock was able to convince Gruden to draft certain players. I could see them keeping guys they want. No way a Mack situation happens again i feel. I think if Ferrell tears it up early the Raiders will sign him sooner rather than later. Sure it’ll be expensive at first because he’d be the highest paid player or something but when FA hits it’ll look like a bargain. 

6 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Well that was also before they hired Mayock, obviously Gruden is in charge, but according to reports Mayock was able to convince Gruden to draft certain players. I could see them keeping guys they want. No way a Mack situation happens again i feel. I think if Ferrell tears it up early the Raiders will sign him sooner rather than later. Sure it’ll be expensive at first because he’d be the highest paid player or something but when FA hits it’ll look like a bargain. 

If he shows that type of promise you definitely extend him early and before FA begins in what ever year you want to sign him.  Probably could have signed him after 2016 thru 2024 for $140 million.  Little bit better deal than Miller signed the year before by Von Miller.  The issue would have been cash and what to do with Carr.  Still do not know if it would work out better but at least the whole Gruden never even called incident would not have happened.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 6:58 AM, Chali21 said:

The main reason the Mack situation happened was that Reggie drafted so badly on defense from 15-17 that we had no depth and even with Mack, it's doubtful that the defense would be all that good. I want Mayock to build this team the right way. Team depth, covering weaknesses, and drafting scheme fit players>>a few elite talents and a shaky roster foundation.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Good for the young man and I hope he gets better but keeping AB close is not difficult by NFL standards.  He was 72nd in the league last year in target separation and 30th in 2017.  It is stopping AB from making those contested catches that is the hard part.

• Like 1