Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Got to have Tim Brown on offense. Could you imagine Waller and Zach Miller as our two TE's, although Moreau could be that.

Yep, how could I forget Tim Brown!!! Chester McGlockton was another guy I really liked, mountain if a man in the middle but provided some pass rush too.....very underrated player. Napoleon Kauffman would be a great fit too. Greg Townsend was still going strong and Howie had a great couple years in the 90s too if I recall.  That's probably the era I'm most fond of. I dont recall any great TEs though after Christensen, Miller was pretty good but we haven't had a great one for a while.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:22 AM, Humble_Beast said:

If Waller starters getting those TDS he will be in that tier 1 TE with Kelce and Kittle of course. Two things on offense we didn’t us to my surprise: 

- Waller in the red zone 

- Jacobs in the pass game- thought Gruden would use him more in the pass game. Jacobs tore it up as a rusher 

We found Waller less in the redzone because he isn't really a jump ball guy. He uses his speed and route running to get open. Plus he was a focal point of the offense therefore a focal point to the defense and other guys benefited from his double teams in the redzone. You don't care who gets over the line just that some one did in an ideal offense.

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, how could I forget Tim Brown!!! Chester McGlockton was another guy I really liked, mountain if a man in the middle but provided some pass rush too.....very underrated player. Napoleon Kauffman would be a great fit too. Greg Townsend was still going strong and Howie had a great couple years in the 90s too if I recall.  That's probably the era I'm most fond of. I dont recall any great TEs though after Christensen, Miller was pretty good but we haven't had a great one for a while.

Rickey Dudley surprisingly had 30 td's in his career, Andrew  Glover was decent.

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

We found Waller less in the redzone because he isn't really a jump ball guy. He uses his speed and route running to get open. Plus he was a focal point of the offense therefore a focal point to the defense and other guys benefited from his double teams in the redzone. You don't care who gets over the line just that some one did in an ideal offense.

Well Carr was the worst at it so maybe he should have targeted Waller more he's like 6'6.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Rickey Dudley surprisingly had 30 td's in his career, Andrew  Glover was decent.

If I recall, Dudley had one pretty good year and then a few average ones, was a bit of a let down, Glover I dont recall doing anything great, i haven't checked the stats or anything but I can't say he stood out to me. 

Christensen I absolutely loved, and his eccentric personality so they were all a kind of let down after him TBH.

Ive still got the old NFL annuals in the loft somewhere from back in the 80s so this has inspired me to dig them back out and have a read back through 😀😀

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

If I recall, Dudley had one pretty good year and then a few average ones, was a bit of a let down, Glover I dont recall doing anything great, i haven't checked the stats or anything but I can't say he stood out to me. 

Christensen I absolutely loved, and his eccentric personality so they were all a kind of let down after him TBH.

Ive still got the old NFL annuals in the loft somewhere from back in the 80s so this has inspired me to dig them back out and have a read back through 😀😀

Yeah Dudley's hands were horrible that's why it's surprising he was 4th all time in TD's and 5th in yards for Raider Tight ends. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Well Carr was the worst at it so maybe he should have targeted Waller more he's like 6'6.

This isn't the Carr thread so take that there but if you read my point it was that Waller strongest suit isn't the redzone and that the coverage he draws regardless of that left guys like Foster and Renfrow open for easy throw for TDs. I think all 5 of Fosters TDs came in the redzone and he was nearly wide open. Waller success allows others to eat. But I agree that more can be done to scheme for Waller in the redzone and I'm sure he is working on those aspects of his game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

This isn't the Carr thread so take that there but if you read my point it was that Waller strongest suit isn't the redzone and that the coverage he draws regardless of that left guys like Foster and Renfrow open for easy throw for TDs. I think all 5 of Fosters TDs came in the redzone and he was nearly wide open. Waller success allows others to eat. But I agree that more can be done to scheme for Waller in the redzone and I'm sure he is working on those aspects of his game.

I think the red zone options being very limited last year made it easier to focus on Waller for opposing Ds. Adding Witten and Edwards might help with that.