Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This would have been an 11 win team if the defense allowed 24.5 points per game.

But they didn't. They allowed 30+ after shelling out huge money in free agency and seeing the defense get worse. And next year is a new season with new challenges. A new DC and whatever roster turnover they make to try and improve it again. 

It's probably just me, but I have no faith in these group hiring the right people, and getting the right players in FA or the draft. I'm bearish on this entire Gruden reboot. He's shown us who he is and what he values. Why should we suddenly trust a crappy coach with complete control to turn everything around? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

But they didn't. They allowed 30+ after shelling out huge money in free agency and seeing the defense get worse. And next year is a new season with new challenges. A new DC and whatever roster turnover they make to try and improve it again. 

It's probably just me, but I have no faith in these group hiring the right people, and getting the right players in FA or the draft. I'm bearish on this entire Gruden reboot. He's shown us who he is and what he values. Why should we suddenly trust a crappy coach with complete control to turn everything around? 

If gruden goes imo carr gone too 

new hc’s on rebuilds almost always draft their qb 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

A talented DC is crucial. If we get a bad one, I'll go dark for a little while. Plus, this team can't pull some cute **** in the offseason. Go after good players, whether draft or via trade.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What do you have against Davis as an Owner BP? His affinity with JG?

He's not a winner. Winning owners want to win at any cost. They want to surround themselves with the best players and coaches. 

After taking ownership of the team, he interviewed exactly 1 guy, Reggie McKenzie who was a bust for the GM job. He desperately tossed 10 years 100 mil at a guy who hadn't coached in 9 year and didn't have great success with his last job. Then gave him keys to the franchise. Then came the struggles with cash flow lingered over the Mack trade. 

I think he's a humble guy. Like him as person and what he did to get a new stadium (though burning a passionate fan base on the way out). But feel like he's stuck in the past glory days like most things that embody the franchise. He simply doesn't understand the modern game and how to structure a winning organization. 

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

A talented DC is crucial. If we get a bad one, I'll go dark for a little while. Plus, this team can't pull some cute **** in the offseason. Go after good players, whether draft or via trade.

Are Bradley or Barry talented in your eyes? Because that's where I see this going. And neither move the needle for me. 

If Gruden is refusing to look outside his network, then he's not going to find a talented DC. Best case is Rahim but that's sounding like it's not happening based on the beat writers.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Are Bradley or Barry talented in your eyes? Because that's where I see this going. And neither move the needle for me. 

If Gruden is refusing to look outside his network, then he's not going to find a talented DC. Best case is Rahim but that's sounding like it's not happening based on the beat writers.

Neither really. I think Bradley is a respectable DC. Not a great one IMO. I like Morris a lot. But if that doesn't happen I'll be bummed. 

Gruden doesn't have the resume to turn down Wade. Could be one of the stupidest decisions to turn down a top tier HOF caliber DC because of ego or some misguided idea that running a 3-4 base when most teams are in nickel anyways is bad.

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Neither really. I think Bradley is a respectable DC. Not a great one IMO. I like Morris a lot. But if that doesn't happen I'll be bummed. 

Gruden doesn't have the resume to turn down Wade. Could be one of the stupidest decisions to turn down a top tier HOF caliber DC because of ego or some misguided idea that running a 3-4 base when most teams are in nickel anyways is bad.

I agree. I'm not big on the idea of Wade, but the resume speaks volumes. He'd also have instant clout and respect that resonates through the locker room 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The only way you are adding difference makers is to make trades for them the way the Colts did with Buckner. If you want to have a true impact.

The Packers were able to add difference makers in free agency signing Smith (x2) and Amos. Ideally we'll be able to hit on a couple of picks and those guys become difference makers. 

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Packers were able to add difference makers in free agency signing Smith (x2) and Amos. Ideally we'll be able to hit on a couple of picks and those guys become difference makers. 

This is pretty simple to understand. The Packers have a HOF Superbowl Champion QB and a long history of winning. A "difference making" free agent will choose to go to a place known for winning with a winning QB. Raiders reportedly like both Smiths and could get the attention of either.

That is lost in this conversation. This fan base keeps saying "sign a difference maker". Okay, great.... how? The only way is to over pay what a winning franchise will offer. Most veteran players. Those you all call difference makers are looking to make that difference with a relevant team.

That's why the Raiders pin their hopes on guys like Nassib, Collins and Chicagos backup LB. 

The Smiths both got huge contracts from GB relative to their previous production. They rolled the dice to fix an issue. And while Zadarius keeps playing well, Preston hasn't lived up to his contract this season. Don't be surprised if he's cut this offseason.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is pretty simple to understand. The Packers have a HOF Superbowl Champion QB and a long history of winning. A "difference making" free agent will choose to go to a place known for winning with a winning QB. Raiders reportedly like both Smiths and could get the attention of either.

That is lost in this conversation. This fan base keeps saying "sign a difference maker". Okay, great.... how? The only way is to over pay what a winning franchise will offer. Most veteran players. Those you all call difference makers are looking to make that difference with a relevant team.

That's why the Raiders pin their hopes on guys like Nassib, Collins and Chicagos backup LB. 

Super sweet stadium, zero state taxes, dominant offense, I think we are a team on the rise and players on defense will see their chance to start and make starters money.  I think we will be able to pull some players in FA.  The Packers signed the Smith's after a down season from what I can recall.  Players know DC with a decent defense had the Raiders at 12-4.  I believe in us!  I believe in...the Raiders!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Super sweet stadium, zero state taxes, dominant offense, I think we are a team on the rise and players on defense will see their chance to start and make starters money.  I think we will be able to pull some players in FA.  The Packers signed the Smith's after a down season from what I can recall.  Players know DC with a decent defense had the Raiders at 12-4.  I believe in us!  I believe in...the Raiders!

They are a LOSING franchise for 2 decades and counting. Players chasing money, might sign. Players chasing championship and winning cultures won't. Simple as that. 

And when you sign guys who are looking for the biggest payday, you get your Trent Browns of free agency signings. 

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They are a LOSING franchise for 2 decades and counting. Players chasing money, might sign. Players chasing championship and winning cultures won't. Simple as that. 

And when you sign guys who are looking for the biggest payday, you get your Trent Browns of free agency signings. 

which is why a few weeks back I responded to you that yes I still wanted to make the playoffs. 
which you laughed at lol. 

the players you want to sign in FA, go to playoff contenders.