Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Look at what? A WR who nobody wanted, who took a 1 year deal to prove his worth. That is a great signing. Low risk, high reward. 

Signing guys like Nassib an average joe the Browns cut and Bucs made no attempt to bring back to a bloated contract is just bad business. 

And Kwit has potential for what? He's been in the league 5 years. He's a finished product. Great role player and steady yet unspectacular LB.

Don't avoid FA. But make prudent value moves. Stop throwing money in desperation at players who CLEARLY are not going to have a big impact. 

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Kwit  has always been kinda slow imo and that bear defense hid his lack of speed. He’s not a sideline to sideline guy. He seems to be a second behind esp in coverage 

Yah, he seems like an average starting MLB. More of a guy who is strong against the run. I don’t see him ever making any all pro teams, but it’s nice to have a steady MLB instead of all the cast offs in the past. Still pissed about passing on Devin White but it is what it is...

31 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Yah, he seems like an average starting MLB. More of a guy who is strong against the run. I don’t see him ever making any all pro teams, but it’s nice to have a steady MLB instead of all the cast offs in the past. Still pissed about passing on Devin White but it is what it is...

And queen 

We have drafted horribly on defense overall.  We have drafted bad in the first few rounds for a long time.  For the past who knows how long we have drafted like a bad stock traded.  We panic and settle.  Never looking for value but always scared of missing out.    The most obvious example of this behavior is Johnny Townsend.  Drafting a punter in the 5th after a run on punters who ca not even make it to their 2nd year.  Marquez Valdes-Scantling was the very next pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We have drafted horribly on defense overall.  We have drafted bad in the first few rounds for a long time.  For the past who knows how long we have drafted like a bad stock traded.  We panic and settle.  Never looking for value but always scared of missing out.    The most obvious example of this behavior is Johnny Townsend.  Drafting a punter in the 5th after a run on punters who ca not even make it to their 2nd year.  Marquez Valdes-Scantling was the very next pick.

Ngl as much as I like Mayock, I feel like he has mentioned that he is drafting "for John and Guenther". You SHOULD take scheme input. Which is why most of his offensive picks (Jacobs, Foster, Renfrow, even Simpson) are hits (with Ruggs TBD). Bowden was just an atrocious pick because he was so mismanaged (why trade a position convert during ******* training camp?). Gruden has a system that is pretty effective (until the RZ) and the players can execute it.

However, the same reason this is a strength on offense is a deficiency in terms of defensive drafting. Guenther never really had a coherent scheme that was intuitive or used his players strengths. Hence Joyner, Littleton, and the rookies sometimes looked mediocre. 

How will we know if Arnette is good if he never gets put in press man, the reason he was drafted? There were tons of of better off man corners and we took Arnette because he was a physical press man corner. Why?

We have some untapped defensive talent on this team. Isaiah Johnson looked good at times on the boundary/even in the slot, but we consistently played Nevin Lawson over him. Then we played him at free safety where he made some plays, but got poor coaching clearly. Amik Robertson was a STANDOUT player in college and never really hit the field over guys like Keisean Nixon, who can't even run. 

At some point, you have to draft for talent and fit the talent to your scheme. We need a defensive coordinator (NOT Guenther) who will do that.

For example, Ojulari is slightly undersized as a 4-3 defensive end. But I'm not taking Basham over him because Basham is a better scheme fit. Give me the stud who wins fast and has polish/bend/heavy hands. Don't overthink it and look for a perfect scheme fit every time. Scheme is fluid. Talent is not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Townsend is actually in the playoffs 😂 he’s the starting punter for the Ravens

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Townsend is actually in the playoffs 😂 he’s the starting punter for the Ravens

And we got rid of him and kept an UDFA.  It is a punter.  You only draft one if they are an unbelievable talent.  If we would have drafted Dickson that year I would have been okay with it because we needed a punter.  If not I would wait to grab one after the draft.

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ngl as much as I like Mayock, I feel like he has mentioned that he is drafting "for John and Guenther". You SHOULD take scheme input. Which is why most of his offensive picks (Jacobs, Foster, Renfrow, even Simpson) are hits (with Ruggs TBD). Bowden was just an atrocious pick because he was so mismanaged (why trade a position convert during ******* training camp?). Gruden has a system that is pretty effective (until the RZ) and the players can execute it.

However, the same reason this is a strength on offense is a deficiency in terms of defensive drafting. Guenther never really had a coherent scheme that was intuitive or used his players strengths. Hence Joyner, Littleton, and the rookies sometimes looked mediocre. 

How will we know if Arnette is good if he never gets put in press man, the reason he was drafted? There were tons of of better off man corners and we took Arnette because he was a physical press man corner. Why?

We have some untapped defensive talent on this team. Isaiah Johnson looked good at times on the boundary/even in the slot, but we consistently played Nevin Lawson over him. Then we played him at free safety where he made some plays, but got poor coaching clearly. Amik Robertson was a STANDOUT player in college and never really hit the field over guys like Keisean Nixon, who can't even run. 

At some point, you have to draft for talent and fit the talent to your scheme. We need a defensive coordinator (NOT Guenther) who will do that.

For example, Ojulari is slightly undersized as a 4-3 defensive end. But I'm not taking Basham over him because Basham is a better scheme fit. Give me the stud who wins fast and has polish/bend/heavy hands. Don't overthink it and look for a perfect scheme fit every time. Scheme is fluid. Talent is not.

There is definitely a balance between scheme and talent and a lot of the balance depends on the position.  My number one priority was to get rid of/never hire Guenther.  He was the weakest link but now we need to find a good DC and give him some more talent.  It all needs to work together or we will never get to where we want to be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

There is definitely a balance between scheme and talent and a lot of the balance depends on the position.  My number one priority was to get rid of/never hire Guenther.  He was the weakest link but now we need to find a good DC and give him some more talent.  It all needs to work together or we will never get to where we want to be.

I really want Morris but will settle for Bradley. For some reason it seems like Wade isn't in the cards, which I disagree with.

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

And we got rid of him and kept an UDFA.  It is a punter.  You only draft one if they are an unbelievable talent.  If we would have drafted Dickson that year I would have been okay with it because we needed a punter.  If not I would wait to grab one after the draft.

True 

I'd say Kwiatkoski is definitely an above average starting LB. A good player. But not a game changer/perennial pro bowler.

Litteton is also probably somewhere in that range. He won't change the game, but he can definitely help you win. LB is most likely fine. I like JOK, but he didn't have his best game vs Alabama and I'd be fine to go elsewhere with the pick (triple down at CB or obviously DL).

On 1/9/2021 at 12:23 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Exactly, I think we have some hidden talent on defense that a competent DC can developed, obviously we need more, but the lack of coaching makes more of a difference than people realize.

• Like 1