Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

With almost 40m in cap space now, there's zero need to cut mariota. Having a backup that played as good as he did in a pinch is worth the value. 

The issue with that though is Mariota was hurt most of the season last year and Peterman was the active backup QB for the majority of our games. He looked good in the one game that he played but the Chargers weren't game planning to stop a mobile QB and it's such a small sample size. He was pretty bad his last 3 years in Tennessee and $10M is a lot of money to pay a guy that will likely never even see the field for us. 

If we're looking for a veteran backup we can probably sign a guy like Mitchell Tribusky, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, or Tyrod Taylor for significantly cheaper than Mariota. 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Despite Gruden's issues in the red zone and conservative decision making our offense still took a major leap in 2020. We had a top 10 offense both in terms of yards and scoring despite our entire OL being banged up throughout the year, Jacobs dealing with injuries, and without getting a ton of production from Ruggs or Edwards. I definitely agree that Gruden's offense does feel out of touch at times though, we've really struggled in the red zone and had way too many long drives that we ended up settling for a FG. 

I think Gruden's biggest mistake was trusting Gunether and failing to acquire difference makers on the defensive side of the ball. Gruden as a personnel guy doesn't work because he's always going to prioritize adding more weapons offensively over building a defense. 

As I said before we went 3-7 in games that our opponent scored 30+ points. And 5-1 in games we held opposing teams to under 30 with the only loss being to Miami in a game that we gave to them at the end. 

We built a top 10 offence by dumping 2/3s of our resources into the offence.  Gruden's offence struggles when it is most important and he is horrible when it comes to his decision making.  I lost track of how many posters in here were right when they posted if we go for a FG right now we are going to lose and they were right.  A conservative coach, conservative QB, with a bad defense will not get it done.  Hearing coordinators say they will shape their scheme around the players strengths is wonderful to hear but Gruden also needs to take into consideration the teams situation and the opponents abilities when deciding his actions.

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We built a top 10 offence by dumping 2/3s of our resources into the offence.  Gruden's offence struggles when it is most important and he is horrible when it comes to his decision making.  I lost track of how many posters in here were right when they posted if we go for a FG right now we are going to lose and they were right.  A conservative coach, conservative QB, with a bad defense will not get it done.  Hearing coordinators say they will shape their scheme around the players strengths is wonderful to hear but Gruden also needs to take into consideration the teams situation and the opponents abilities when deciding his actions.

I agree that he has made some questionable decisions. But at the end of the day we still averaged 383 yards and 27.1 points per game last season. Despite our revolving door across the OL, Jacobs being banged up, and getting minimal production from Ruggs and Edwards. 

I feel like a broken record but I'll repeat it again. 

Raiders: 3-7 in games we allowed 30+ points, 5-1 in games we allowed less than 30 points with the only loss coming to Miami on a flukey play at the end that cost us. In our 8 wins our defense allowed 23.5 ppg and in our 8 losses our defense allowed 36.1 ppg. 

Seahawks (including playoffs): 2-3 in games they allowed 30+ points and 10-2 in games they allowed less than 30 points. In their 12 wins they allowed 20.8 ppg and in their 5 losses they allowed 30.2 ppg. 

Chiefs (including playoffs): 2-3 in games they allowed 30+ points (should've been 1-4 if Abram doesn't blow it. In their 16 wins they allowed 20.3 ppg and in their 3 losses they allowed 36.3 ppg. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I agree that he has made some questionable decisions. But at the end of the day we still averaged 383 yards and 27.1 points per game last season. Despite our revolving door across the OL, Jacobs being banged up, and getting minimal production from Ruggs and Edwards. 

I feel like a broken record but I'll repeat it again. 

Raiders: 3-7 in games we allowed 30+ points, 5-1 in games we allowed less than 30 points with the only loss coming to Miami on a flukey play at the end that cost us. In our 8 wins our defense allowed 23.5 ppg and in our 8 losses our defense allowed 36.1 ppg. 

Seahawks (including playoffs): 2-3 in games they allowed 30+ points and 10-2 in games they allowed less than 30 points. In their 12 wins they allowed 20.8 ppg and in their 5 losses they allowed 30.2 ppg. 

Chiefs (including playoffs): 2-3 in games they allowed 30+ points (should've been 1-4 if Abram doesn't blow it. In their 16 wins they allowed 20.3 ppg and in their 3 losses they allowed 36.3 ppg. 

Chiefs and Chargers loses were also cases of poor conservative play calling.  Patriots, Bills, Falcons, and Colts games we gave the ball away 13 times and had 2 takeaways.  Now the defense needs to improve but it is hard not to give up 30 points when your offence gives the ball away that much.  When you have 3 turnovers your win percentage is 10%.

54 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Chiefs and Chargers loses were also cases of poor conservative play calling.  Patriots, Bills, Falcons, and Colts games we gave the ball away 13 times and had 2 takeaways.  Now the defense needs to improve but it is hard not to give up 30 points when your offence gives the ball away that much.  When you have 3 turnovers your win percentage is 10%.

In the Chiefs loss we scored 31 points and in the Chargers loss we scored 27. 

Russell Wilson was near the top of the league in turnovers as well with 17, just as many as Carr had. Seattle's defense gave up a lot of yards but they had a great pass rush, had a lot of takeaways, and only allowed 30+ in 5 games all season. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In the Chiefs loss we scored 31 points and in the Chargers loss we scored 27. 

Russell Wilson was near the top of the league in turnovers as well with 17, just as many as Carr had. Seattle's defense gave up a lot of yards but they had a great pass rush, had a lot of takeaways, and only allowed 30+ in 5 games all season. 

Everyone on this board was calling for the team to be more aggressive and not settle for FGs.  Yes the defense needs to make some stops and those 2 games it would have been nice to have a playmaker or 2 that could make a stop but we all knew that we did not and therefore the offence needed to be more aggressive and not settle for FGs.  We all know we need to fix the defense but we were not able to once the season started so Gruden and Carr knew what was needed to win yet they still played conservative.  I am not giving the defense a pass but we knew what we had.  If the defense has a good game that is great but I am not going to rely on them to win.  If you take away the 4 games we gave away the ball like we were throwing the game we probably do not give up 30 points in those games.  So we give up 30+ in 6 or 7 games.  Still might have given up 30+ to the Colts.  

Seattle was playing 3rd stringers all over their secondary.  The reason why they could weather the storm is that you have Pete Carroll as a coach who has had his system in place for over ten years.  

46 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Seattle was playing 3rd stringers all over their secondary.  The reason why they could weather the storm is that you have Pete Carroll as a coach who has had his system in place for over ten years.  

Yet they still managed to more than double our sack production, were one of the best defenses in the league at generating turnovers, and only allowed 23.2 ppg. 

48 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Everyone on this board was calling for the team to be more aggressive and not settle for FGs.  Yes the defense needs to make some stops and those 2 games it would have been nice to have a playmaker or 2 that could make a stop but we all knew that we did not and therefore the offence needed to be more aggressive and not settle for FGs.  We all know we need to fix the defense but we were not able to once the season started so Gruden and Carr knew what was needed to win yet they still played conservative.  I am not giving the defense a pass but we knew what we had.  If the defense has a good game that is great but I am not going to rely on them to win.  If you take away the 4 games we gave away the ball like we were throwing the game we probably do not give up 30 points in those games.  So we give up 30+ in 6 or 7 games.  Still might have given up 30+ to the Colts.  

Even with our lack of aggressiveness we still had one of the highest scoring offenses in the league despite our OL issues, Rugg/Edwards not playing a ton, and Jacobs being banged up. 

Seattle was playing 3rd stringers, had TO issues themselves, yet still managed to only allow 23.2 ppg, had an elite pass rush, and were elite at generating turnovers. As I said in their 12 wins their defense only allowed 20.8 ppg, we were only held under 21 points 4 times the entire season. 

9 hours ago, NickButera said:

With almost 40m in cap space now, there's zero need to cut mariota. Having a backup that played as good as he did in a pinch is worth the value. 

Yeah, no need to cut him which leaves his agent and teams who would like to add him having to find a way to make a trade work.

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Yeah, no need to cut him which leaves his agent and teams who would like to add him having to find a way to make a trade work.

Are people forgetting that we paid him $7M last season and he was hurt for like 2/3 of the season? lol

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why should we keep a backup QB with a $10M cap hit when he is always hurt? Like if Carr would've went down at any point last season we would've been paying Carr/Mariota $30M for Peterman to play. 

Because there's a very good chance he'll agree to restructure in order to land in a situation where he could play. If he had he would have been traded already. Basically, we're holding him hostage until he realizes that's the only way he goes elsewhere.

• Like 1