Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

honestly feel like we are trying to be cute with Mariota and going get burned. I doubt we get  a 2nd/3rd rounder for him, lucky to get a 4th/5th rounder. We don't even draft well, so it's a waste to wait for a deal. Better chance to land a veteran difference maker in free agency with that 10m. a vet for 10m would make a bigger impact than day 3 pick. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Even with our lack of aggressiveness we still had one of the highest scoring offenses in the league despite our OL issues, Rugg/Edwards not playing a ton, and Jacobs being banged up. 

Seattle was playing 3rd stringers, had TO issues themselves, yet still managed to only allow 23.2 ppg, had an elite pass rush, and were elite at generating turnovers. As I said in their 12 wins their defense only allowed 20.8 ppg, we were only held under 21 points 4 times the entire season. 

You are comparing us to a defensive minded team with a defensive coach that has over a decade of implementing his system.  We had Guenther and Gruden which is the opposite of Seattle.  To put it into perspective KNJ is their defensive coordinator.  Seattle is built to be a good defensive squad and has one of the best QBs in the league.  We have a team that focuses on offense and the defense is suppose to be below average.  When you have that setup you need to be more aggressive on offense and should be good in the redzone.  I am not blaming the defense because they are what we thought they were.   Gruden wanted a high powered offense and a bend don't break defense.  This is on Gruden.  If his offense does not run out of gas in the redzone we are in the playoffs.  If we want to build the defense we need to take resources away from the offence.  If the abilities of the FO and coaches remain the same you have a zero sum game with the offense and defense.  To make one better you have to make the other weaker.  Now you can elevate the overall ability by getting better FO personnel to find better players for cheaper or better coaches to that can develop the talent of the players and increasing the cohesion which makes their sum greater than their individual parts.  Getting rid of Guenther was a big step forward but having an offensive minded coach state he wants a 4-3 DC shows that the bigger issue is with the coach and not the DC.  Having a GM that is a yes man for your coach shows disfunction with your ownership.  This team looks like it is going to have issues for a while.  

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Having a GM that is a yes man for your coach shows disfunction with your ownership.  This team looks like it is going to have issues for a while.  

Mark Davis wanted a splash hire to generate excitement as we came into a new city with a new stadium. He gave Gruden full control over the franchise when he agreed to pay him $100M. Gruden as a coach is above average but he's horrible as a personnel guy.  

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Mark Davis wanted a splash hire to generate excitement as we came into a new city with a new stadium. He gave Gruden full control over the franchise when he agreed to pay him $100M. Gruden as a coach is above average but he's horrible as a personnel guy.  

Agreed.  I love Gruden as a coach but do not want him calling plays or making personnel decisions.  Even worse that it seems like Cable is his most trusted person in the building.

all the chaos from yesterday and I don't think our OL is in bad shape (lol):

LG- Richie / Simpson- bring back a pro bowl level player for cheaper. He is old, but we have his long term replacement in the wings 

C- James- coaches high on him, and he should get his shot. Shedding Hudson who is quickly hitting his mid 30s and was expected to make 13m and even landed a 3rd rounder. It's rare to pay guys in there mid 30s top dollar, especially at center. Hopefully James steps up, and we don't burn that 3rd rounder with a Muse type pick. 

RT- good chance we draft a RT to start for us. Don't have to worry about the position for the rest of the decade. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Maxx said that the team started to feel themselves a lot after that KC win cause they had already beat the Saints and Browns to go with it and in practice started to slack off and not have that same level of focus they had. 

Interesting to see what happens this year at edge. I think we let Ferrell and Maxx compete and see who wants to get paid big on that second contract on one side. Nassib is used on the other side on run plays, and then Yannick comes in on 3rd downs. 

13 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

I always find it surprising that we lack leaders on this team. Isn't that what Mayock and Gruden are so high on? Character? We draft for high character, we draft for "Gruden Grinders", where the hell are they?

I would say our leaders- 

Offense: DC, Jacobs, Waller

Defense: Max, Ferrell, Abram

1 minute ago, OldManWillis said:

I would agree with DC and maybe Waller. Even then, how long are both realistically with the team? 

Waller a freak athlete with size, he can ball until mid 30s like Gonzalez or Gates. DC just hitting 30, QBs shine in their 30s. Rest of the Decade for DC

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

Waller a freak athlete with size, he can ball until mid 30s like Gonzalez or Gates. DC just hitting 30, QBs shine in their 30s. Rest of the Decade for DC

You're not wrong, but what are the chances they'll be with the Raiders?

We hear all the talk about trading Carr, and that's every off season 

Waller is going to demand a raise next year because he is severely underpaid. You think Gruden is obliged?

If I'm another player and I know that they very well could be gone, why do I care about following them? At that point it's every man for themself, and that's a mindset this team breeds unfortunately.  At least from what I've seen in the last 25 years.