Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

Nothing radical just the old unis really. I think it was misunderstood what I was posting. That being said I do think, a blackout uni looks cool. But I’m torn as well because I like the fact that we haven’t changed. I do believe we have the coolest unis , always have since ‘76.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Nothing radical just the old unis really. I think it was misunderstood what I was posting. That being said I do think, a blackout uni looks cool. But I’m torn as well because I like the fact that we haven’t changed. I do believe we have the coolest unis , always have since ‘76.

Josh Jacobs is the biggest advocate for an all black Raider uni. I've seen the guy tweet/mention it a number of times now.

I love our unis and the tradition, but it may be fun to get a unique alternate at for a game or so and see how it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Otto is ranked #97 on TheAthletic's top 100 NFL football players of all time.  

I just wanted to share quotes from the article on Jim Otto.  Phil Villapiano had some quotes added in there as well.

“I watched him bleed,” linebacker Phil Villapiano said in a recent phone interview. “I mean, every ******* game. Whatever helmet he had on certainly didn’t work, because it would come down and smash on top of his nose. He’d be bleeding every single game. And players on the other team would be like, ‘What the **** is with this guy?!’

“I couldn’t believe how much of a beating he took. Jim Otto just out-toughed everybody.”

“If I missed a tackle, I would rather come off the field and have John Madden berate me than look into Jim Otto’s eyes,” Villapiano said. “Jim Otto demanded perfection from everybody all the time. That’s what I loved about him so much.”

While the Raiders owner is famed for saying “Just Win, Baby,” Otto told me the first time I met him a dozen years ago, “You show me a good loser, and I will show you a loser.”

I could listen to Phil tell stories forever.  Dude should just be paid to tell stories about the Raiders for the rest of his life.  Any time he talks, I listen.  I need to go watch those NFL Network episodes about all of the Raiders super bowls.  I need some offseason motivation to get me hyped for this upcoming season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Jim Otto is ranked #97 on TheAthletic's top 100 NFL football players of all time.  

I just wanted to share quotes from the article on Jim Otto.  Phil Villapiano had some quotes added in there as well.

“I watched him bleed,” linebacker Phil Villapiano said in a recent phone interview. “I mean, every ******* game. Whatever helmet he had on certainly didn’t work, because it would come down and smash on top of his nose. He’d be bleeding every single game. And players on the other team would be like, ‘What the **** is with this guy?!’

“I couldn’t believe how much of a beating he took. Jim Otto just out-toughed everybody.”

“If I missed a tackle, I would rather come off the field and have John Madden berate me than look into Jim Otto’s eyes,” Villapiano said. “Jim Otto demanded perfection from everybody all the time. That’s what I loved about him so much.”

While the Raiders owner is famed for saying “Just Win, Baby,” Otto told me the first time I met him a dozen years ago, “You show me a good loser, and I will show you a loser.”

I could listen to Phil tell stories forever.  Dude should just be paid to tell stories about the Raiders for the rest of his life.  Any time he talks, I listen.  I need to go watch those NFL Network episodes about all of the Raiders super bowls.  I need some offseason motivation to get me hyped for this upcoming season.

This is the raiders I miss. all guts high expectations and leaders holding people accountable. Guess I’m just to old school for this moral victory generation 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This is the raiders I miss. all guts high expectations and leaders holding people accountable. Guess I’m just to old school for this moral victory generation 

The last thing I want to do is make this another Derek Carr thread takeover, but something about that good loser quote really rang true to me.

Carr always has the “politically correct” comments after a loss. I’m actually a big Carr fan and have always rooted for him and I’ve always liked how he carried himself off the field.. But remembering his demeanor and how he usually speaks during his interviews / press conferences and looking at it through the “good loser” lens makes me wish he wasn’t so concerned about optics and how he’s perceived and instead would say what needs to be said about the team. He shows his frustration in the moment and on the field but never in the press. Does that make him a good loser? 

Am I way off in this? Couple beers in 😂

16 hours ago, raiders4life said:

The last thing I want to do is make this another Derek Carr thread takeover, but something about that good loser quote really rang true to me.

Carr always has the “politically correct” comments after a loss. I’m actually a big Carr fan and have always rooted for him and I’ve always liked how he carried himself off the field.. But remembering his demeanor and how he usually speaks during his interviews / press conferences and looking at it through the “good loser” lens makes me wish he wasn’t so concerned about optics and how he’s perceived and instead would say what needs to be said about the team. He shows his frustration in the moment and on the field but never in the press. Does that make him a good loser? 

I don’t know if it’s just him but nobody really seems upset after a loss or maybe they just play it off well. But even on the field nobody is really gonna be top dog and get in guys faces and set expectations. Maybe it’s cause we’re a young team but everyone is just nonchalant. I can see why nelly exploded I wouldn’t wanna play for a team like us either. 

16 hours ago, raiders4life said:

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

Willie Brown comes in at number 90 on TheAthletic's top 100 NFL players of all time.

Time to add some more quotes below.

Willie Brown, Charles Woodson and then-Raiders play-by-play announcer Greg Papa were all on an elevator talking to one another when a polarizing question was posed. Who’s the best cornerback in NFL history?

“You’re looking at him,” Brown said before anyone could answer. Though he laughed, he wasn’t joking.

“My job was not catching passes,” Brown said at his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1984. “My job was to stop the receiver from catching it. If I could have played 15 or 20 years without an interception, that would have been fine. Anything beyond stopping a receiver, that’s gravy.”

“He was just constantly around the team, which was comforting for Al to have people that he could trust around when he couldn’t be there physically toward the end. But players look up to a guy that was such a great player. The defensive back position has got a little edge to it, and Willie could just keep everybody in line by looking at them. He’s not the kind of guy you talk back to. He’s not the kind of guy you disrespect. He’s the kind of guy that, if he says something to you, it’s gonna sink in just because of the presence of who he is and not only his career but the way he handles himself.” - Greg Papa

Personally don't think this is as good as the Jim Otto article.  They used Greg Papa for a lot of the quotes.  I guess he was the only one available for it.  Amy Trask said something as well, but it was pretty long.  I wish they took more time to find more people from his playing days to provide quotes for the article.  It is what it is.

• Like 2