Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Heart of Oak said:

Agreed, but in the draft position matters. For a team that has missed on so many picks the luxury of a Guard in the top 20 is just something I don't think we can afford, anymore than you would ever hear the terms "Generational" and "Long Snapper" used together. :)

Sure. I could take over this team and draft better first rounders than we have. Where would we be if we took Ceedee Lamb and traded up for AJ Terrell like I wanted to?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure. I could take over this team and draft better first rounders than we have. Where would we be if we took Ceedee Lamb and traded up for AJ Terrell like I wanted to?

So I am going to be honest I wanted Ruggs or Lamb equally and I stand by the Ruggs selection as he was really starting to shine until the incident but how do you ever predict what he did?

Arnette was a terrible pick...I liked him as a 3rd-4th rounder...#19 overall LMFAO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

So I am going to be honest I wanted Ruggs or Lamb equally and I stand by the Ruggs selection as he was really starting to shine until the incident but how do you ever predict what he did?

Arnette was a terrible pick...I liked him as a 3rd-4th rounder...#19 overall LMFAO.

Me neither. I thought he could be a fit if he was used right. He was already becoming a star.

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Me neither. I thought he could be a fit if he was used right. He was already becoming a star.

You're very liberal with the use of "star" here.

Cee Dee Lamb, Jamar Chase, Jefferson are examples of WRs becoming stars. Ruggs was a high end role player with rare speed. 

Lamb was still the obvious choice. He's a #1 WR, YAC machine, red zone target, can win multiple ways. Ruggs was still a bad pick over Lamb in my view. 

I'll take a stud #1 WR over a speed threat every time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Cee Dee Lamb, Jamar Chase, Jefferson are examples of WRs becoming stars. Ruggs was a high end role player with rare speed. 

Lamb was still the obvious choice. He's a #1 WR, YAC machine, red zone target, can win multiple ways. Ruggs was still a bad pick over Lamb in my view. 

I agree here, I dont think Ruggs was alread becoming a Star, but he was at least showing why Gruden wanted him so bad. 
He did change the way teams played us. 
A star, changes the a D plays you, and you still put up big numbers. 

I hated the Ruggs pick at the time, but was warming up to it this season on hopes Ruggs would keep improving. He was extremely important to our O. That said, I think Ceedee without the real high end speed wouldve done just fine. 

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If he’s a high end role player, why were we so much better with him on the field? Desean Jackson in his prime was a star. He could change the game in 1 play. Ruggs was the same way, even though he wasn’t a prototype #1 receiver. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If he’s a high end role player, why were we so much better with him on the field? Desean Jackson in his prime was a star. He could change the game in 1 play. Ruggs was the same way, even though he wasn’t a prototype #1 receiver. 

Because he opened the field with his speed. Again, playing his role.

Agree to disagree.... no WR averaging 2.5 catches per game is developing star in my book. He could make a splash plays. But a star WR is a guy who will dominate games consistently. Jamar Chase is a star in making WR, see the difference there?

7 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I agree here, I dont think Ruggs was alread becoming a Star, but he was at least showing why Gruden wanted him so bad. 
He did change the way teams played us. 
A star, changes the a D plays you, and you still put up big numbers. 

I hated the Ruggs pick at the time, but was warming up to it this season on hopes Ruggs would keep improving. He was extremely important to our O. That said, I think Ceedee without the real high end speed wouldve done just fine. 

I agree and feel the same way.

As for the bolded, I see that as a huge fundamental problem that goes beyond Ruggs though. 

Dude ran a 4.27. How fast was he with pads on? I don't know, but my guess was still FAST. One of the fastest guys in the game. 

If your offense crumbles without that kind of speed, you don't really have an offense, imo. That kind of speed is a rarity. Like, 2 or 3 guys who start in the league rare. 

Our offense has seemingly fallen apart without it, which makes me question the entire offense. It's one thing to be reliant on an absolute superstar, but Ruggs wasn't close to that yet. And we've all seen it said- "What are we going to do without his speed?".

Speed. That's it. Our offense is apparently trash without one of the 2 or 3 fastest guys in the league? Then that isn't a good system or personnel group. 

I, too, believe we'd be just fine with a stud WR who wasn't as fast, because it's not a speed issue we have, it's a talent issue. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I agree and feel the same way.

As for the bolded, I see that as a huge fundamental problem that goes beyond Ruggs though. 

Dude ran a 4.27. How fast was he with pads on? I don't know, but my guess was still FAST. One of the fastest guys in the game. 

If your offense crumbles without that kind of speed, you don't really have an offense, imo. That kind of speed is a rarity. Like, 2 or 3 guys who start in the league rare. 

Our offense has seemingly fallen apart without it, which makes me question the entire offense. It's one thing to be reliant on an absolute superstar, but Ruggs wasn't close to that yet. And we've all seen it said- "What are we going to do without his speed?".

Speed. That's it. Our offense is apparently trash without one of the 2 or 3 fastest guys in the league? Then that isn't a good system or personnel group. 

I, too, believe we'd be just fine with a stud WR who wasn't as fast, because it's not a speed issue we have, it's a talent issue. 

Accept that Ruggs was hurt for a long time last year and the offense was perfectly fine

32 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Accept that Ruggs was hurt for a long time last year and the offense was perfectly fine

Agholor aside....

That's kind of my point though. Ruggs was a loss, yes. But there's no reason the rest of the offense should look as inept as it does.

People are going way too hard on the "What ever will we do without him? Oh God! We're screwed for ever now!". He wasn't the offense. He was part of it. He no longer is.

So Olsen and Co. need to nut up, adjust, and stop acting like the lack of a deep threat to the tune of one of the 3 fastest players in the NFL somehow makes our offense pitiful by default. And people need to stop excusing the bad offense by relying on the "He changed how people play us" argument. As I said, if you have to rely on that rare of a skill trait to have anything even close to success, you have nothing. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-ol-trent-brown-i-almost-died-during-iv-issue-last-season

According to Brown, he nearly went into cardiac arrest at the time. Air was accidentally introduced into his bloodstream with a pre-game IV, and he was hospitalized for three days beginning on Nov. 1, 2020. Then a Las Vegas Raider, Brown had just been reinstated to play from the reserve/COVID-19 list when the mishap occurred.

____

Oof I didn't realize that was that serious for him and I'm happy he is recovered. That's way more serious than I remember off memory I just remember our community being upset at him for a number or things like lingering injuries and not giving maximum effort.

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Agholor aside....

That's kind of my point though. Ruggs was a loss, yes. But there's no reason the rest of the offense should look as inept as it does.

People are going way too hard on the "What ever will we do without him? Oh God! We're screwed for ever now!". He wasn't the offense. He was part of it. He no longer is.

So Olsen and Co. need to nut up, adjust, and stop acting like the lack of a deep threat to the tune of one of the 3 fastest players in the NFL somehow makes our offense pitiful by default. And people need to stop excusing the bad offense by relying on the "He changed how people play us" argument. As I said, if you have to rely on that rare of a skill trait to have anything even close to success, you have nothing. 

The offense is inept, because they can't block upfront. It's that simple. 

Ruggs rare speed opened things up a little quicker for Carr to get the ball out underneath. Without that rare speed, it exposes the fact they can't pass protect. 

They don't need speed. They need protection.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Agholor aside....

It's a mental thing. You saw the WRs and TE  drop easy passes and easily contestant passes throughout the game.

23 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ruggs over Lamb looks even worse when you consider the fact that Nelly played the exact same role better then Ruggs did for us.