All-Whiff Team

BleedTheClock

*Compile an all-bust team of guys you've unsuccessfully pimped over the years. Could be high profile guys or guys you loved that were thought to be "steals."

*What, if anything, does your list tell you about yourself?

QB: Brian Brohm/Jake Locker/Brad Kaaya
RB: Brian Calhoun/Kevin Smith/Isaiah Pead
FB: Jalston Fowler
WR: Aaron Dobson/Limas Sweed/Ryan Broyles/Matt Jones/Rashad Greene/Mario Urrutia
TE: Travis Beckum/Austin Seferian-Jenkins/Evan Rodriguez
LT: TJ Clemmings/Jason Spriggs
LG: Chance Warmack/Jon Asomoah
C: Samson Satele/Hronnis Grasu
RG: Joshua Garnett/Dorian Johnson
RT: Gabe Carimi/Jason Fox

LE: Corey Wootton/DaQuon Bowers
DT: Robert Nkemdiche/Amobi Okoye/Ra'Shede Hageman/Mike Martin/Marvin Austin
RE: Lorenzo Mauldin/Ricky Sapp
WLB: Keith Rivers/Gerris Wilkinson
MLB: Rey Maualuga/Barrett Ruud/Leon Williams
SLB: Aaron Curry/Manny Lawson
CB: Vernon Hargreaves/Dee Milliner/Tarell Brown/Alfonso Dennard/Jayron Hosley
FS: Kenny Phillips/William Moore
SS: Rahim Moore/Myron Rolle

K: Roberto Aguayo
P: Bryan Anger
Returners: Danny Coale/Quadree Henderson

*TEAM CAPTAINS:

--Brian Brohm QB (Next Peyton Manning hype)

--Aaron Dobson WR (Gave him a top 5 grade in his draft class)

--Chance Warmack OG (Had him as the #2 overall prospect)

*What did this tell me?

-I am always in love with mid-round WR's that never do anything. I've rarely been right at picking the sneaky WR star. Fell in love with highlight catches and size.

-I love undersized speed rushers apparently.

-I like my OL to be small and crazy quick or huge and slow. When there is no middle ground...bust.

-I am a sucker for 5* high school recruits, even if their college tape is meh.

-I'm pretty good with RB's and DB's. It was much harder to find busts from these groups than any other position group.

Tarrell Brown was a bust? He was damn good on the 49ers.

QB- Josh McCown/ John Beck

RB- Rashard Mendenhall

WR- Tyrone Calico/

OT- Robert Gallery/ Eric Winston

OG- Justin Blalock

DE- Courtney Brown/ Kalimba Edwards/ Jarvis Moss

DT- Rodrique Wright/ Adam Carricker

LB- Teddy Lehman

CB- Quentin Jammer/ Jimmy Williams

FS- Michael Huff

SS- William Moore

For me, it begins and ends with C-Mike.   SMH.  HoF physical tools - zero football-field skills.   My bad.

Reuben Foster is my other recent albatross, but at least that wasn't because of a bad skills evaluation.  Just didn't look at his eyes enough, man.

Notables for me include:

*Warmack (like everyone else ever)

*Robert Gallery (although he wasn't a total bust/salvaged his career as an OG)

*Aaron Curry

*Keith Rivers

*Charles Rodgers (I still can't believe he wasn't a stud...major off the field issues to boot)

*Trent Richardson

41 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Who the EFF is that?

Christine Michael - drafted end of Rd2.   Was so high on him being the next big thing at RB.  Bad RB class but guys like Kelce and Keenan Allen drafted behind him (and went much later in FF rookie drafts).  Exhibit A that insane physical tools can’t overcome a 10 cent brain (just like a Rhodes Scholar with mediocre tools won’t succeed but they are usually easier to ID lol). 

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Christine Michael - drafted end of Rd2.   Was so high on him being the next big thing at RB.  Bad RB class but guys like Kelce and Keenan Allen drafted behind him (and went much later in FF rookie drafts).  Exhibit A that insane physical tools can’t overcome a 10 cent brain (just like a Rhodes Scholar with mediocre tools won’t succeed but they are usually easier to ID lol). 

This is who I thought you meant, but didn't think his hype was that high! I did like his physical skills, but thought it was kind of crazy he went in the 2nd round.

Speaking of backs drafted purely on physical traits...remember Chris Henry? I couldn't believe he got drafted that high! His production in college was woeful...

Lessee:

QB: Probably going to end up being Josh Allen, but too early to call that, so I'll go with Jake Locker, who was a guy that I really liked from a skills perspective, similar to Allen (liked Allen much more). QB2 is a probably Jimmy Clausen. Not so much because I was hyping him up as a great player or anything, but just because of how bad he actually was. I thought he was at least going to be a solid quarterback in the league. 

HB: Zac Stacey was a guy that I really liked. I thought his vision was phenomenal and he was going to be a stud. Carlos Hyde as Rb2. He was my top running back that year, and I thought he was a legit 3 down back who was going to have a big career. I knew that he wasn't great at any one trait, but I thought he was good enough to yield good production. Turns out, he's largely JAG; no real explosion, some nagging injury concerns, etc etc. 

WR: This has actually been maybe my strongest showing as a lot of the guys I didn't like at all ended up busting out after being high picks. That being said, some clear duds here. Phillip Dorsett. I thought that quickness and release had the chance to make him special. WR2, Justin Hunter. Size and speed, I thought it was just going to take him some time to learn the position, but then would be an absolute stud with wr1 potential. 

TE: Jace Amaro. I knew that he was never going to be block, but I thought he was at least going to be a WR / TE type hybrid that was going to put up big time production in the passing game. 

OT: I'm trying to avoid the guys who were like top 3 picks and ended up busting out like Greg Robinson. The number of people who didn't think highly of guys like that are much lower than the guys who did, so most of us going to have whiffed on that one. I'll go with Jason Spriggs and Jake Fisher here, both guys I really liked. I thought Fisher could be a guy that was maybe scheme limited, but could be a quality tackle in a ZBS. 

G: Christian Westerman. I think I took him for the 49ers in pretty much any and ever mock draft that year. I really liked him, thought he was going to be very good. I'm going to cheat a little bit here and put Lamp, even though the position I would have played him at was Center. But the dude can't get on the field right now (unsure if it's injury related) and take time from Dan Feeney, who has been pretty bad (and Feeney is also a guy that I loved coming out and could easily be on this list). 

C: Isaac Seumalo. Absolutely loved this guy. Thought he was going to be a stud. 

I'll do defense later. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

This is who I thought you meant, but didn't think his hype was that high! I did like his physical skills, but thought it was kind of crazy he went in the 2nd round.

Speaking of backs drafted purely on physical traits...remember Chris Henry? I couldn't believe he got drafted that high! His production in college was woeful...

In my (and others) defence, C-Mike was also drafted by a SEA team that was on a huge draft roll, and this was supposed to be the successor to Beast Mode.   Oh how quickly fortunes change.   

Totally forgot about Henry.  I thought you were talking about the CIN WR TBH, or Travis Henry.  That TEN dude disappeared...fast.

QB: Brady Quinn. He looked the part, GOD did he look the part. Coming from a Charlie Weis offense, he had an NFL mind and...I mean, Weis coached BRADY, so he would know, right? Big swing and miss on that one.

RB: Montee Ball. Watching him in college made me think he was the 2nd coming of Corey Dillon, a power run guy with breakaway speed in the open. Turns out he was the product of a great OL at Wisconsin. Honorable Mention to Jahvid Best, who did look fantastic when he did play, but had that horrific concussion in college and was never the same.

WR: Justin Hunter/Cordarelle Patterson/DaRick Rogers. Yup, all three of those Tennessee WRs from 2013. Hunter was a size/speed guy, Patterson looked so good in open space and Rogers was probably the best of the bunch. Alas, Rogers was a headcase that went undrafted and flunked our quickly as a UDFA, Hunter was the poster boy of "preseason All Pro" who couldn't keep it going during the season and Patterson is a lightly used utiliy knife for Belicheck. Not exactly what I was expecting.

There are a few other guys I had high hopes for that didn't pan out (Maurice Stovall, Dwayne Jarrett, Jon Baldwin, Greg Carr, etc). I'd have to say this is my weakest position. 

TE: Kellen Winslow Jr. Had to think about this; TE might be one of my better views. With Eric Ebron emerging in Indy, I couldn't list him. I'd imagine that everyone assumed big things from K2, given his pedigree, production in Miami and athleticism. Injuries really screwed him, but he wasn't as good as you'd expect from a TE taken in the top 10.

OL: Luke Joeckel, Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack. I sincerely thought these three guys were gonna be studs. They weren't even serviceable OL.

DL: Vernon Gholston. ...those muscles, tho. 

DT: Ron Brace. Given his size, he should have been an incredible hole plugging NT. Maybe he was, but I don't know what went wrong here. 

LB: AJ Hawk/Xavier Adibi. I mean, AJ HAWK? That name basically says "Hello, I am a Linebacker." He was all over the place at OSU too. He was a good pro, but never really lived up to the hype of him being a difference maker. Adibi was undersized, but really fast; He had some moments where he looked like a scary SLB, but the Texans switched to a 3-4, where his lack of size really showed.

CB: David Amerson. I wasn't really high on him, but needed a name. I thought he had a good eye for creating turnovers, and a nose for the end zone when he didn't get the ball. 

I'd say that CB might be a pretty good spot for me to look at. 

S: Patrick Chung. He peddled around for Belicheck for a few years, but I thought he'd have an Earl Thomas like career ultimately. He really didn't turn into anything more than a ST body, didn't he?

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

S: Patrick Chung. He peddled around for Belicheck for a few years, but I thought he'd have an Earl Thomas like career ultimately. He really didn't turn into anything more than a ST body, didn't he?

I think he specifically only covers TE's on defense, but I'm not 100% on that.

This would be mine list, but ultimately injuries have a ton to do with it as well as character and general work ethic obviously.

QB Byron Leftwitch - Was such a great leader and competitor I thought, but his release was crazy slow and injuries really caught up to him.  

RB Darren McFadden - Was a great back in college but never quite was that in the NFL, talk about running too much up right that is him, and lack of change of direction ability

FB Owen Marecic - Two way star, played linebacker and thought maybe he was athletic enough to be an elite guy, injuries got the best of him though in the end.

TE Kellen Winslow II - Could block and catch, was a complete TE but mentally he is obviously off and as a person is just absolutely terrible it turns out.

WR Kelvin Benjamin - Still has a chance but I thought he could be so much better than what he has become, especially after such a great rookie year. 

WR Peter Warrick - Super competitive and electric return man, probably played in the wrong era, would potentially do way better in the NFL of today.  Injuries and hits caught up to him as well.

OT Robert Gallery - What is there not to like about him, nasty lineman who was tough and aggressive and a great looking athlete.  Just never was that in the NFL at all it seemed.  

OG Chance Warmack - Was super elite in college but probably got too much hype for being on a talented football team that made him look better than he was.  

C Barrett Jones - Great competitor and leader but injuries hurt him a lot, and really his versatility in college turned out to be a little overrated in the NFL because of the injury issues.

OG Toniu Fonoti - Was so fun to watch play football, was very early and I was not that experienced watching the OL but hard to not be impressed with how he tossed people around in college.

OT Jared Gaither - Awesome athlete, raw ability and was actually in the supplemental draft and did quite well becoming a starter eventually.  But as a young player projecting I had him as a top 5 pick potentially at that size and athletic ability.

DE Courtney Brown - Just crushed the edge and had good hand usage.  Just never was the same player in the NFL and had really bad injury history as well.

DT Gerard Warren - Was an awesome athlete, super strong and aggressive.  Had an ok career but never became that Pro Bowl or All Pro type DT like he could have.  

DT Glenn Dorsey - Another great prospect, who could not like him with what he did in college.  Just has not been as productive in the NFL getting off blocks and has become a 3/4 DE like Warren did.  

DE Jevon Kearse - What a freak show athlete but was a tweener big time, wish he would have been able to play in a 3/4 OLB position consistently instead of a 4/3 DE.  Had a pretty damn good career early and a Pro bowler but not the Hall of Famer he should have become and the end of his career was just not the same as it started.

OLB Boss Bailey - Amazing athlete, such a run and jump talent, blocked who knows how many kicks in college.  Just could not stay healthy though and was a little too weak at the point of attack in the NFL.

ILB Rolando McClain - Big long athlete, very hard to handle inside and had some moments in the Pros but never was a really big time player consistently.  Was a great talent in college but obviously that system puts ILBs in the position to make a ton of plays if they are good.

OLB Aaron Curry - Who could not like him, athletic OLB who can intercept passes, was part of a huge turnaround at Wake.  Just never turned into that in the NFL.

CB Dre Kirkpatrick - Super long corner, is still an ok player but not the elite talent he should have become I feel.

SS Mike Doss - Great college player, super tough and aggressive, could play in the box and tackle aggressively.  Never did much as a pro and injuries hurt him a ton as well.

FS Deon Grant - Was an ok safety in the NFL, really could get interceptions but never took the rest of his game to the next level, was a little on the soft side as a tackler.  

CB Jamar Fletcher - Was very early on, did not have much experience watching any prospects, but his ball hawking ability seemed super impressive to me at the time.  Was a straight ball hawk in ever sense of the word.

Two others Quin Blanding and Jeremy Cash.  Those two guys I still question, they were such athletic tacklers in college but fact is they must have been horrible in coverage despite getting interceptions at times back deep.  Still Blanding played all four years, got picks and played tough in the box, is surprising the NFL has no use for a guy like that, will see if he can find his way on a roster.  Sure Cash was more a tweener but as a JR his athletic ability in the box really impressed me as a safety and had a great SR year but really he was not a safety he was a OLB.  Chase Hansen at least has made the transition to OLB in college and he is bigger than these guys were being a OLB is not so much of a question and he has had a great SR year, still would have loved to see him back at safety but fact is not many big guys can move that well in coverage.  Not many if any Sean Taylor types around and that is a fact, not many if any at all are his size with his speed and athletic ability in coverage, RIP.

Archived