Stafford - Extension or move on?

ahoda

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20399536/should-detroit-lions-make-matthew-stafford-25-million-per-season-quarterback-2017-nfl

The article brings up some good points on both sides.  I sit on the extension side but not fully.  If they let him walk I could agree with it depending on their plan.  The low yard per pass was eye opening to me.  Flacco and Matt have 2 of the best power arms in the league and they dink and dunk a lot.

Letting him go would be extremely foolish IMO.  We are finally putting a team around him with consistent coaching, which he has never had.  He is a top 10 QB in this league and letting him walk would set the franchise back.  We could draft as many as we want early on and still end up being like the Browns, Jets, Broncos....  Sure he has not won a playoff game, but he has a better chance than anything available and with the depth/roster/coaching finally being structured around him, its only a matter of time.

Letting Stafford go could potentially be one of those mistakes that the franchise never lives down. In the NFL you either have a franchise QB or you don't, and if you don't, you do anything you can to find that guy. It's a difficult position to evaluate, and even if you get a guy who has the potential to develop into something you have to have the right coaches in place to help him get there. There are several teams, as Sllim mentioned, that have been hunting for a franchise QB for a while now. All of the guys taken this year have serious flaws in their game that make them pretty big unknowns. 

Stafford isn't perfect, but he's really good. He hasn't won a playoff game, and you can throw out his record against teams over .500, but football is a team game. The Lions have been a joke for a really long time and are starting to come out of that hole. They have a solid staff in place, Bob Quinn has come in and reworked the scouting staff and structured the front office in a way that models the Patriots, and I have a lot of faith in what he's trying to do. If they let Stafford walk, they then have to go identify a new potential franchise QB, draft him, coach him up, and give him 2-3 years to settle into the league. It would take 3-5 years for the next guy to become what Stafford is right now. 

Worst case scenario (to me), is that Stafford doesn't sign whatever they offer and the Lions have to slap the franchise tag on him. They could potentially do it for 2 years in a row, despite the high cost, and draft a potential replacement. Although, it would be extremely frustrating, as there are other holes/potential upgrades that I'd prefer they fill with those high round picks (RB, DB, DE, etc). 

If you're asking me, the Lions have to sign Stafford. If they don't, they'll regret it, and so will we as Lions fans if he leaves and goes to a team like the Jaguars or Broncos and takes them to the playoffs. 

I would agree with Slim and X completely on this. 

I think it is important to also point out that he is a 8 year veteran about to start year 9 and he just turned 29. With the way that science has improved in the areas food and training, he could probably play for another 10 yeas at a high level barring significant injuries of course.

Is it guaranteed he plays that long? Of course not, but it is entirely possible and maybe even likely. 

If Stafford leaves without a clear cut plan for the position, I might leave too. I'm 31 years old, I picked the lions as my team when I was 9. I grew up and live in Indiana. Being a Lions fan is not easy anyhow but when you live outside of the cocoon of Michigan you deal with **** everyday you put on any team gear. 

Stafford is our glimmer of hope. That game against Cleveland sealed him as our QB. He owns our record books. Every year he grows. You lock this kid down. We moved Suh, Calvin left. Pay Stafford.

Should he be the highest paid player in the league? No. But that's the nature of the QB position in this day of age. And if you have one that can be considered a top 10 QB, and it's their time to get paid, you better be prepared to pay.

It blows me away when people talk about possibly letting Stafford go. Everyone remembers what it was like before Staff right? The never ending carousel of garbage at the QB position? I sure do... Pay him.

On 8/22/2017 at 0:42 PM, ahoda said:

The low yard per pass was eye opening to me.

It shouldn't be. Every pass catcher on this team is a short yardage receiver sans Marvin Jones, and he only showed up for a few games. Stafford can only take what's given to him, I'd much rather see him throw many short passes and be efficient than see him throw a bunch of deep passes to guys like Anquan Boldin and be not so efficient. The offense had to play ball control and clock management for most of the season last year to cut down the total number of possessions to give the team a better chance to win at the end of every game because the defense was straight garbage. In order to control the ball and kill clock with no running game, Stafford was asked to make a lot of high efficiency passes that essentially acted as the running game. If the defense is decent this year, the offense won't be handcuffed into trying to mask their terribleness and Stafford can take more deep shots.

8 hours ago, #NOTMYQB said:

Franchise him and take the two  first round picks. He's not worth it. 

Welcome! It's nice to see a fresh face here in the Lions Den. 

When you get a chance, drop by the introduction thread here and introduce yourself! 

What makes you want to let Stafford walk? I'm curious on hearing a new opinion on the matter. 

Archived