Jump to content
coordinator0

Running Back. Are We Good?

Recommended Posts

In terms of a pass-catching running back, I think the idea of Ty Montgomery is better than the reality of Ty Montgomery. He's okay. Not much of a play-maker or the upside to be one though. He's JAG out there catching passes out of the backfield. Like Allen at running back (and also catching passes). That's where the clear upgrade path is visible.

I'm on the believer side of Edwards for now. The dude is impressive. One of my favorite UDFA revelations in a while. Well, since Pierce at least. 

Collins... not sure but I think he's still good. Just not able to be productive with the way the offense was setup under Flacco and the odd/bad run-blocking this season. It was different last year for whatever reason and Alex thrived. I think he still can especially not having to be the workhorse with Edwards and Dixon (when able) handling productive snaps. 

Speaking of Dixon like I said in the first post he's not reliable. But he's been good this year, and wasn't actually bad his rookie season. He's going to be on the roster for 2019-20. Whether he's able to stay on it fighting off and injury or suspension is another matter. Still, assuming Collins is back on the cheap tender that's already three backs for Baltimore. Four is the most a team should carry. Hopefully the player potentially added is a menace out of the backfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Fournette is out in Jax, he could be a stupid good complement to Jackson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

If Fournette is out in Jax, he could be a stupid good complement to Jackson. 

Unfortunately he would also be a stupid complement to Jackson... I'm not a fan of his attitude. But from a football perspective, he is a beast. I think that Jacksonville situation was toxic though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people here hating on Jimmy Smith being injury prone would go nuts when Fournette misses his regular 5-6 games a season. guy is soft as F.

not ideal when you are a power back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

people here hating on Jimmy Smith being injury prone would go nuts when Fournette misses his regular 5-6 games a season. guy is soft as F.

not ideal when you are a power back.

Very fair point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, we already have a power back who is cheap and super effective in Gus the Bus.  Why pay $8m a year for a guy like Fournette when you can get 90% of his production at 10% of the cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Plus, we already have a power back who is cheap and super effective in Gus the Bus.  Why pay $8m a year for a guy like Fournette when you can get 90% of his production at 10% of the cost?

I think if the Ravens can pair an elite back with Lamar, that would be very beneficial. We can't have Lamar running 15 times a game like he is now, but we still want to use the threat of Lamar to open up the run game. If teams had to key on an elite RB and have to deal with the threat of Jackson keeping the ball, it would be devastating. 

Whether Fournette is that guy, I don't know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Plus, we already have a power back who is cheap and super effective in Gus the Bus.  Why pay $8m a year for a guy like Fournette when you can get 90% of his production at 10% of the cost?

Where are you getting $8mm per? His contract is for 3 and 4mm base the next two seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Where are you getting $8mm per? His contract is for 3 and 4mm base the next two seasons. 

Its what I read in NFL News sub forum.  Didn't realise that that person meant for the rest of his contract. 

Either way, the point stands - Gus is cheaper and super effective so I don't thinkhe would be worth whatever it would take to trade for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think if the Ravens can pair an elite back with Lamar, that would be very beneficial. We can't have Lamar running 15 times a game like he is now, but we still want to use the threat of Lamar to open up the run game. If teams had to key on an elite RB and have to deal with the threat of Jackson keeping the ball, it would be devastating. 

Whether Fournette is that guy, I don't know. 

It's not the threat of Lamar opening up the running game. It's him actually running the ball. The threat goes away if he stops running it. Right around 15 carries a game is fine for Jackson going forward. It has to be for the Ravens chances of winning until/if his passing catches up. 

I know the thought out there is that adding an elite back next to Lamar would be a big boost. Sure, it would help. But there's only so much room to improve on what the team is actually doing now. The law of diminishing returns is real. Since Jackson became the starter the Ravens have rushed 316 times for 1607 yards in 7 games. Just over 5 yards a carry. I'm not seeing the problem or need/room for improvement here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would throw up if we traded for Fournette. Fournette is basically just Gus Edwards with breakaway speed. He doesn’t have elite feet and COD ability for him to be a truly elite RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I would throw up if we traded for Fournette. Fournette is basically just Gus Edwards with breakaway speed. He doesn’t have elite feet and COD ability for him to be a truly elite RB.

Gus might have better vision.  Admittedly I don't watch much Jags football if I can help it, but I don't remember seeing Fournette pick a space and squeeze through a narrow hole to pick up more yards than expected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Gus might have better vision.  Admittedly I don't watch much Jags football if I can help it, but I don't remember seeing Fournette pick a space and squeeze through a narrow hole to pick up more yards than expected

Good point. And if we’re going to move on from Gus, it better be for a surefire superior player. With LF, I’m not seeing better hands, better feet, or better vision. He gives you superior breakaway speed, but if we’re going to replace Edwards it should be for some amalgamation of Kenneth Dixon and Gus Edwards, with stud carry ability to avoid fumbles (which is what I loved about Nick Chubb).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Good point. And if we’re going to move on from Gus, it better be for a surefire superior player. With LF, I’m not seeing better hands, better feet, or better vision. He gives you superior breakaway speed, but if we’re going to replace Edwards it should be for some amalgamation of Kenneth Dixon and Gus Edwards, with stud carry ability to avoid fumbles (which is what I loved about Nick Chubb).

I would never want to move on from Gus. Gus has been fantastic. BUT, let's not pretend he is a complete back. He runs in a style that is very effective with the read option. 

Going forward, I think the Ravens can pencil in 15 carries a game for Gus. But we may plan on running the ball 50 times a game. It might be a mistake to put Gus in positions where he has to catch the ball, pass-protect, run out of different formations, etc. This is not a scouting take, just a feel that Gus is in the perfect role now, and expanding his responsibilities might be a mistake.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Good point. And if we’re going to move on from Gus, it better be for a surefire superior player. With LF, I’m not seeing better hands, better feet, or better vision. He gives you superior breakaway speed, but if we’re going to replace Edwards it should be for some amalgamation of Kenneth Dixon and Gus Edwards, with stud carry ability to avoid fumbles (which is what I loved about Nick Chubb).

As AF mentioned, I’m not sure any of this talk means we’re moving on from Gus. Just using Fournette as an example, he has two years remaining on his rookie deal   (Assuming acquired by trade). Ignoring the 5th year option, Gus would be here for an additional year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×