Cam Newton to sit remainder of 2018

Dome

After further consideration, the Carolina Panthers will make the sensible move and shut down Cam Newton for the rest of the season. 

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the Panthers are expected to sit Newton now that they are essentially out of the playoff race. Backup Taylor Heinicke is anticipated to get the start Sunday versus the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001001897/article/panthers-cam-newton-expected-to-miss-rest-of-season

11 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

For real.  Cam honestly need to think about himself more, and not let the Panthers FO control this going forward.  He should let his shoulder heal before he ends up like Luck did...

He already has. His arm is just shredded because he's been  playing with the same injury Luck had and hasn't taken significant time away.

He legitimately needs to take a year away if he wants to keep playing, I don't think his body can go much longer and you see it deteriorate over the course of a season as he accumulates hits and wear.

12 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He already has. His arm is just shredded because he's been  playing with the same injury Luck had and hasn't taken significant time away.

He legitimately needs to take a year away if he wants to keep playing, I don't think his body can go much longer and you see it deteriorate over the course of a season as he accumulates hits and wear.

I watched their game on MNF and I've never seen a QB's mechanics look so whack then what Cam was trying to do. He's completely broken at this point.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I watched their game on MNF and I've never seen a QB's mechanics look so whack then what Cam was trying to do. He's completely broken at this point.

Cause he's literally playing with a destroyed shoulder. It reminded me of watching a pitcher two starts before you get the inevitable rotator cuff or TOS diagnosis and you can literally see their mechanics breaking down in real time.

20 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Cause he's literally playing with a destroyed shoulder. It reminded me of watching a pitcher two starts before you get the inevitable rotator cuff or TOS diagnosis and you can literally see their mechanics breaking down in real time.

Yeah. It was just sad to watch. Dude was basically throwing from a 45 degree angle backwards to compensate for his shoulder. 

Time away isn’t going to fix Cam.  He needs a scope and hopefully it’s only a cleanup or repair.   That has plenty of hope to be ok.   A reconstruction would be very worrisome in light of the prior surgery and likelihood he played hurt for 4-6 weeks minimum to the point he looks wrecked (original hit vs. PIT, aggravated it vs. DET).  

Luck has come back but he’s done so by adapting his style to the new physical limitations post-delayed reconstruction.  He also had generational talent so losing 10 percent of peak function was survivable with his ability to adapt and change his style.  I don’t know if Cam is that guy.  Way better if he simply needs a repair or less.  

I’m guessing we won’t know the full extent until he gets a scope - unlike the knee or elbow shoulder injuries aren’t so easy to diagnose the extent of injury with imaging alone.  

Luck has come back but he’s done so by adapting his style to the new physical limitations post-delayed reconstruction.  He also had generational talent so losing 10 percent of peak function was survivable with his ability to adapt and change his style.  I don’t know if Cam is that guy.  Way better if he simply needs a repair or less.  

Yup.

If Cam has a major surgery on his shoulder, the only way I can see him being a high level QB again is if he gets much better with his mechanics. You can offset some decline in velocity by having sound mechanics. He needs to be less of an arm thrower and start to generate more power with his legs. 

Archived