Star Wars Episode I is the best of the Prequels

MKnight82

3 is the only prequel I can sit through... And its just okay. 

2 is easily the worst. 

1 has its moments,  but its extremely disappointing how mediocre it is. 

And yes,  Hayden Christiansen is insufferable.  

Here is the thing with episode one... exposition is rampant. Not even just too much exposition to inform the story rather than crafting one that doesnt need it. Exposition exists in this movie that informs NOTHING. Literally making us sit through details no one cares about and does nothing to move the story along. Phantom Menace is the biggest offender in this regard and its lazy story telling. Is the fight scene at the end boss? Ab-so-fing-lutely. Does that make up for the slough fest that is the entirety of the movie? no... it does not. 

34 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Here is the thing with episode one... exposition is rampant. Not even just too much exposition to inform the story rather than crafting one that doesnt need it. Exposition exists in this movie that informs NOTHING. Literally making us sit through details no one cares about and does nothing to move the story along. Phantom Menace is the biggest offender in this regard and its lazy story telling. Is the fight scene at the end boss? Ab-so-fing-lutely. Does that make up for the slough fest that is the entirety of the movie? no... it does not. 

Yeah the exposition is just constant, Qui Gon might as well be Captain Exposition for the constant need for him to explain literally everything happening. And it's even worse because the exposition other than "chosen one, prophesy, the Jedi Order is becoming too extreme" is all totally meaningless. You get nothing from it that projects itself to the metanarrative. The trade federation means NOTHING. What's happening on Nabboo could be solved in a 10 minute opening set piece of the actual first movie. It's slow, it's needlessly slow, and it explains a bunch of **** that we don't ever need explained because it's pointless.

Even the lightsaber fight, cool it's well choreographed and John Williams score could make literally any scene riveting because he's the greatest composer to ever live. But what does the fight scene tell us? What does it communicate to us about these characters? Obi-Wan is a hot head? Cool but that literally never comes up again, him being a hot head and learning from that NEVER connects to anything that happens afterwards. He doesn't use it as a teaching tool for Anakin, it means nothing. There is never a moment where Obi Wan tells Anakin that "Allowing my emotions to rule my actions killed Qui Gon, that's why you have to temper yourself". There's nothing thematically represented by the fight because we don't even know who the villain is. He's just Darth Evilguy sent to fight the protagonists because the movie needs conflict and Qui Gon needs to die. It's pretty, but just like everything else about the prequels, it's entirely hollow and devoid of soul. It exists to sell toys.

Say what you will about the Disney movies, but they have a clear thematic message. I haven't seen Solo so I won't speak to that. But Force Awakens is about how we can't let the past define the present, how bloodline and natural talent are ultimately meaningless without conviction, how someone can still do the right thing no matter how selfish they are and on and on. You can see the themes, same with Last Jedi, same with Rogue One. They have a message, a concept, they exist sure to make money off the license and the brand, but they were also artistic visiton that were created with a genuine thematic core at their center.

The prequels exist because Lucas had a bunch of ideas and a story concept, but he had no themes to explore until the third movie. It's why Episode I is entirely meaningless and Episode II is 3 hours of absolutely nothing happening, nobody learning, and nothing being talked about. They exist SOLELY as vehicles to get to the third movie which is clearly the only actual story he had a vision for in his own head. Which is why people like the third one even if only slightly. It's because you can at least see the thematic intent there.

I actually think the last 20-30 mins of Episode II were good/cool.

I've seen episode I the most, but I don't know if that makes it the best.

Episode 3 is very overrated in the sense that people call it the best. I'd argue it's closer to the worst. Could be me sick of the prequels at that point though. 

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I actually think the last 20-30 mins of Episode II were good/cool.

I've seen episode I the most, but I don't know if that makes it the best.

Episode 3 is very overrated in the sense that people call it the best. I'd argue it's closer to the worst. Could be me sick of the prequels at that point though. 

People calling episode 3 the "best" is like calling Geno Smith the best QB of the 2013 draft.

Honestly I’ve always had this trilogy as my fav trilogy because in part I grew up with it more and it kinda modernized Star Wars for me. 

1. It is interesting. Liam neeson was a strong back to fall on for this one and qui gonn is a bad *** even though he got his **** tossed in his first action 

2. I think Hayden Christiansen did well actually. His character was a dull slave boy that had no one to talk to his entire life but his mom and that dumb floating bug slave dude. Of course he’s going to say and do weird things. I think a lot of his performance though is more on lame writing than him tho tbh. He did fine for what he was: a teenager with more power and responsibility than he knew what to do with

3. Id argue Grevious was the worst boss. Dooku was actually pretty cool because Lees presence. Maul is kinda annoying like Boba at this point where he’s blown way out of proportion and is actually kinda annoyed he popped back in in Solo in the fan serviest moment in movie history 

4. Can’t argue with that. I thought all the fights in the prequels were fun to watch but mauls fight got rewinded so many times by me that I ruined several VHS tapes

5. Didn’t really take me out of it really like the scorpion king in the mummy 2 or the hobbit movies

i thjnk it’s a lot for me to say but I don’t mind phantom menace. I don’t love it but don’t hate it. III will always be my fav though since it was the climax and conclusion of it all and I actually appreciate Hayden Christianson lol

I agree with him.  Phantom Menace set up Jar Jar Binks as the greatest villain twist of all time and whiny *** fans ruined it for everyone.  Instead of the greatest reveal ever since Vader, we got Count Dooku.  The evidence is there. 

There were two problems with Phantom Menace:

1. Anakin's acting.  This can be forgiven since he was a kid and you could pretend that the character was doing a little acting like kids do sometimes as they try to emulate behavior they've seen before, act tough, talk ****, etc. 

2. Jar Jar Binks.

You flip that and show that Jar Jar was acting like an unspeakably idiotic and obnoxious fool on purpose to have everybody fooled, and Phantom Menace is awesome. 

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I agree with him.  Phantom Menace set up Jar Jar Binks as the greatest villain twist of all time and whiny *** fans ruined it for everyone.  Instead of the greatest reveal ever since Vader, we got Count Dooku.  The evidence is there. 

There were two problems with Phantom Menace:

1. Anakin's acting.  This can be forgiven since he was a kid and you could pretend that the character was doing a little acting like kids do sometimes as they try to emulate behavior they've seen before, act tough, talk ****, etc. 

2. Jar Jar Binks.

You flip that and show that Jar Jar was acting like an unspeakably idiotic and obnoxious fool on purpose to have everybody fooled, and Phantom Menace is awesome. 

Image result for not sure if serious gif

Archived