Star Wars Episode I is the best of the Prequels

MKnight82

Darth Maul is barely in the movie BTW. Trying to play up E1 having the best villain while saying Jar Jar isn't a dealbreaker when he's in more of the movie than he is is the biggest display of mental gymnastics if I've ever seen one. The fact that effing Jar Jar has a bigger role in the movie than the main villain (and Palpatine for that matter) is a disgrace. And a KID destroying the Federation control ship will always go down as the biggest epic fail in SW history (besides maybe Jar Jar himself). 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I agree with him.  Phantom Menace set up Jar Jar Binks as the greatest villain twist of all time and whiny *** fans ruined it for everyone.  Instead of the greatest reveal ever since Vader, we got Count Dooku.  The evidence is there. 

There were two problems with Phantom Menace:

1. Anakin's acting.  This can be forgiven since he was a kid and you could pretend that the character was doing a little acting like kids do sometimes as they try to emulate behavior they've seen before, act tough, talk ****, etc. 

2. Jar Jar Binks.

You flip that and show that Jar Jar was acting like an unspeakably idiotic and obnoxious fool on purpose to have everybody fooled, and Phantom Menace is awesome. 

As a huge Star Wars fan, I would've loved Binks being revealed as a mastermind behind everything.  I wouldn't say it was for sure happening, but the seeds were planted and it could've gone down that way.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

As a huge Star Wars fan, I would've loved Binks being revealed as a mastermind behind everything.  I wouldn't say it was for sure happening, but the seeds were planted and it could've gone down that way.  

It's all there.  The evidence is overwhelming.  I really think the hate for Jar Jar killed George Lucas and took all the piss out of him and he just kinda packed it in and said a big eff you to the fans. 

All the things Jar Jar said/did point to having something more than dumb luck.  He literally bear-hugged Qui-Gon to the ground as if he was expecting the Jedi to go to Naboo.  Palpatine's home planet is Naboo.  The Gungans had exiled Jar Jar for something he'd done previously.  The hand waving during his promotions and such, kipping up, jumping 20 feet into the air when no other Gungan showed that ability.  The eyes.  So much I'm forgetting, too.  This is a total Mandela Effect thing, but I swear I watched it once and when Yoda was talking about who was the master between Maul and someone else, I swear Jar Jar was right behind Palpatine. 

Lucas knew he wasn't fooling anybody with Palpatine being Sidius, and there were zero major reveals in the prequel trilogy, so I am absolutely convinced Lucas had planned that and that Dooku was the replacement and everything changed. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

It's all there.  The evidence is overwhelming.  I really think the hate for Jar Jar killed George Lucas and took all the piss out of him and he just kinda packed it in and said a big eff you to the fans. 

All the things Jar Jar said/did point to having something more than dumb luck.  He literally bear-hugged Qui-Gon to the ground as if he was expecting the Jedi to go to Naboo.  Palpatine's home planet is Naboo.  The Gungans had exiled Jar Jar for something he'd done previously.  The hand waving during his promotions and such, kipping up, jumping 20 feet into the air when no other Gungan showed that ability.  The eyes.  So much I'm forgetting, too.  This is a total Mandela Effect thing, but I swear I watched it once and when Yoda was talking about who was the master between Maul and someone else, I swear Jar Jar was right behind Palpatine. 

Lucas knew he wasn't fooling anybody with Palpatine being Sidius, and there were zero major reveals in the prequel trilogy, so I am absolutely convinced Lucas had planned that and that Dooku was the replacement and everything changed. 

He also convinced the whole Senate to give all the power to palpatine.

Episode III is the only good movie from the Prequels. Yeah Episode I had a great villian and jedi battle but that’s about it to be honest, 90% of that movie was terrible not to mention over saturated with the worst character ever in Jar Jar. 

You can make an argument Episode I is better than Episode II. You know what’s smarter though? Just pretend Episode III is a standalone prequel. It actually works. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Episode III is the only good movie from the Prequels. Yeah Episode I had a great villian and jedi battle but that’s about it to be honest, 90% of that movie was terrible not to mention over saturated with the worst character ever in Jar Jar. 

You can make an argument Episode I is better than Episode II. You know what’s smarter though? Just pretend Episode III is a standalone prequel. It actually works. 

This. I love how OP says E1 has the best villain and tries to downplay Jar Jar when Jar Jar is in far more of the movie than he is (which is nothing short of disgraceful), and a KID blowing up the Federation control ship? El oh el.

Hell, I still remember the site JarJarMustDie.com like it was yesterday. xD

I do agree Jar Jar was suppose to be a Sith Lord, just too much evidence. He even smiles during Qui Gons funeral although you can spin it as he was having a mouth twitch.. but I think Lucas put a ton of goose eggs in there for people to look back on when he did reveal Jar Jar as a Sith. It would of been one heck of a twist. Jar Jar’s character was so ill received he had to banish the character to very little screen time in the future. 

If he made Jar Jar slightly less annoying, in slightly less scenes, and did that twist in Episode II, would of been really something. 

10 hours ago, Tyty said:

Id argue Grevious was the worst boss.

He looks incredible in Ep III as ILM crushed the CGI but Lucas underestimated his audience by thinking he had to give him a cough to display that Grievous is part biological in a precursor to Darth Vader.  Not to mention some bad dialogue.  They should’ve used the same voice as the original (and superior!) Clone Wars cartoons by Genddy Tartakovsky (of Samurai Jack fame).  That version of Grievous is much more terrifying and kills Jedi left and right. 

Grievous is awesome in that plus we get to see him abduct Palpatine as Jedi pursue. This lines up perfectly with how Ep III begins with Obi Wan & Anakin’s mission to rescue the Chancellor.  We also see how he winds up injured...

...by Mace Windu.  

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

He looks incredible in Ep III as ILM crushed the CGI but Lucas underestimated his audience by thinking he had to give him a cough to display that Grievous is part biological in a precursor to Darth Vader.  Not to mention some bad dialogue.  They should’ve used the same voice as the original (and superior!) Clone Wars cartoons by Genddy Tartakovsky (of Samurai Jack fame).  That version of Grievous is much more terrifying and kills Jedi left and right. 

Grievous is awesome in that plus we get to see him abduct Palpatine as Jedi pursue. This lines up perfectly with how Ep III begins with Obi Wan & Anakin’s mission to rescue the Chancellor.  We also see how he winds up injured...

...by Mace Windu.  

Amazing, everything you just wrote is completely wrong. ESPECIALLY the bold. (And I will fight you on that).

4 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The OG animated series was cool and all, but a lot of that information and exploration should have been like, in the actual films. Giving Anakin a quasi-sith rival that he ends up killing (or thinking he kills) is a good idea. It just should have actually like, been in the movies.

And also this. Ideas are cool and all, but they're never fleshed out by Lucas in the movies.

Not only is Episode I not the best prequel movie, it's the worst Star Wars movie period. It's pure garbage. 5 minutes of Darth Maul, one cool fight and a make believe story about Jar Jar being an evil mastermind is not something to bolster up.

Archived