Rebuilding the Patriots

Elky

I have no idea where to post this...so I'll just leave it here. Was messing around on PFR, checking the "Cousins loses to winning teams" narrative (he does, a lot). Found a neat statistic to add to the "Patriots are amazing" collection:

Since 2001, the Patriots have the most games against teams with a winning record (159). They also have the  FEWEST losses to teams with a winning record (55). They are ten games ahead of the next best. That's just astounding.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=career&year_min=2001&year_max=2018&game_type=E&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&temperature_gtlt=lt&opp_is_winning=Y&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_td

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

I have no idea where to post this...so I'll just leave it here. Was messing around on PFR, checking the "Cousins loses to winning teams" narrative (he does, a lot). Found a neat statistic to add to the "Patriots are amazing" collection:

Since 2001, the Patriots have the most games against teams with a winning record (159). They also have the  FEWEST losses to teams with a winning record (55). They are ten games ahead of the next best. That's just astounding.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=career&year_min=2001&year_max=2018&game_type=E&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&temperature_gtlt=lt&opp_is_winning=Y&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_td

Crazy. Nobody is within .1 win percentage or, like, 25 wins either.

10 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I guess that’s what comes from winning your division every year, you are  placed against other division winners twice a year.   Adds up over the years.

Also note, only the Patriots and Steelers have winning records. 

45 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

need another swing tackle but 3rd rounder seems about right.

That seems a little high for that role. They’ve drafted Fleming in the fourth round, Cannon in the fifth. You can get decent back ups at that position later in the draft or via trade/free agency then coach them up. 

With so many holes, a back up tackle seems like a luxury in the top 100 picks. If there is great value sure, but if they’re drafting for need, Edge, DT, WR, TE, Saftety, and QB, seem more pressing. Heck Punter and kicker (they I wouldn’t draft either of those positions in the third round). 

Edited by nextsuperstar1

1 hour ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Spent a first rounder on it last year. 

An undersized Guy Who tore his Achilles and has never started a game in the nfl. 

The other starting Tackle is Cannon who had one great season his entire career and has ranged from average to below average while being injury prone. Not to mention being 31. 

9 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

An undersized Guy Who tore his Achilles and has never started a game in the nfl. 

The other starting Tackle is Cannon who had one great season his entire career and has ranged from average to below average while being injury prone. Not to mention being 31. 

why do you mention undersized? They drafted him as LT. Size doesn't matter. Trent Brown never started at LT before, it worked out. 

9 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

That seems a little high for that role. They’ve drafted Fleming in the fourth round, Cannon in the fifth. You can get decent back ups at that position later in the draft or via trade/free agency then coach them up. 

With so many holes, a back up tackle seems like a luxury in the top 100 picks. If there is great value sure, but if they’re drafting for need, Edge, DT, WR, TE, Saftety, and QB, seem more pressing. Heck Punter and kicker (they I wouldn’t draft either of those positions in the third round). 

maybe 4th. Mid-round is fine I agree with you that early round would not be valuable.

I would look at it year by year and where we can plug holes with immediate starters.

A DT or edge could start for NE day 1 and overtake Pennel or Wise as of right now. We could run a lot of 2 TE sets even if Gronk returns. So that are all good options in the 1st round. Safety to me is similar as OT. We have 3 safeties although 2 are old but I see this as a mid round selection in 2019 and high selection in 2020 probably.

Fant and Hockenson will likely be gone and I don't think there will be another TE worth picking at 32 so I think we will likely see a DT or DE get drafted in the 1st round.

After that who can immediately contribute I think we look for a TE and WR in the 2nd round. 

3rd and 4th round: DB, OL, double dip TE/WR/DT, LB

QB I see in 2020 when Hoyer's contract runs out. 

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

maybe 4th. Mid-round is fine I agree with you that early round would not be valuable.

I would look at it year by year and where we can plug holes with immediate starters.

A DT or edge could start for NE day 1 and overtake Pennel or Wise as of right now. We could run a lot of 2 TE sets even if Gronk returns. So that are all good options in the 1st round. Safety to me is similar as OT. We have 3 safeties although 2 are old but I see this as a mid round selection in 2019 and high selection in 2020 probably.

Fant and Hockenson will likely be gone and I don't think there will be another TE worth picking at 32 so I think we will likely see a DT or DE get drafted in the 1st round.

After that who can immediately contribute I think we look for a TE and WR in the 2nd round. 

3rd and 4th round: DB, OL, double dip TE/WR/DT, LB

QB I see in 2020 when Hoyer's contract runs out. 

I would look at QBs now, if they like anyone of the second day guys. 

Irv Smith might be a decent pick at 32. After him there appears to be a drop off to Tommy Sweetney, Caleb Wilson, ect  

Otherwise I agree generally with the urgency of positions.

13 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

I would look at QBs now, if they like anyone of the second day guys. 

Irv Smith might be a decent pick at 32. After him there appears to be a drop off to Tommy Sweetney, Caleb Wilson, ect  

Otherwise I agree generally with the urgency of positions.

well, I would like Irv Smith and Jace Sternberger at 56 or 64 in the 2nd round but not in the 1st round. After that Warring, Raymond and Oliver in the 3rd round.

• Like 1