Rebuilding the Patriots

Elky

14 hours ago, SBLIII said:

why do you mention undersized? They drafted him as LT. Size doesn't matter. Trent Brown never started at LT before, it worked out. 

Trent brown proved himself as a pass protecter at right tackle before going to the left. I don’t think Wynn will be a starting LT, he will eventually be a guard

Jordy Nelson is better with a piano on his back  and his right hand disable. dragging a broken leg!  Hogan is toast, IMO he's not worth a roaster spot in the NFL!

PS BB doesn't give a crap about need, when drafting.  If he keeps the 1st RD pick I see him taking OL at 32. Dalton Risner ,Chris Lindstrom, David Edwards, Garrett Bradbury, 2nd rd  Erik McCoy. The value based on the mocks IMO is OL. at 32.  My favs in bold.

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Jordy Nelson is better with a piano on his back  and his right hand disable. dragging a broken leg!  Hogan is toast, IMO he's not worth a roaster spot in the NFL!

PS BB doesn't give a crap about need, when drafting.  If he keeps the 1st RD pick I see him taking OL at 32. Dalton Risner ,Chris Lindstrom, David Edwards, Garrett Bradbury, 2nd rd  Erik McCoy. The value based on the mocks IMO is OL. at 32.  My favs in bold.

The Patriots draft need with frequency. Is there a coincidence that they have drafted tackles twice in the first round in 19 years both times when they either needed or would shortly need a left tackle? They draft a guard once when they needed a starter immediately at left guard.

I mean do not reach for need, but spending a first round pick on guard seems, quite frankly, a massive waste. Thuney is a solid left guard, who they clearly like and should try to extend.  Shaq Mason is entrenched and locked up long term at big money. 

2 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

The Patriots draft need with frequency. Is there a coincidence that they have drafted tackles twice in the first round in 19 years both times when they either needed or would shortly need a left tackle? They draft a guard once when they needed a starter immediately at left guard.

I mean do not reach for need, but spending a first round pick on guard seems, quite frankly, a massive waste. Thuney is a solid left guard, who they clearly like and should try to extend.  Shaq Mason is entrenched and locked up long term at big money. 

this. Scar can develop OL better than anybody. And Thuney was 3rd rounder but started as a rookie. If he leaves you can still draft a replacement in 2020.

2 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

You also have Mathews coming up on a new contract. IMO you can't pay another guard big money when you can replace with cheap 1st year contracts. Unfortunately   we have pick 32 (sb winners Ha Ha) and the greatest value is OL based on mocks. I never consider the OL a waste with Brady.  Dalton Risner can play 3 positions. Cannon is one headache away from retiring or the DL. Building both lines is never a waste, especially if the player picked can possibly play 10+ years. My philosophy is to pick the best player on the board no matter what position with in reason of course.  You might not take a kicker in the 1st rd !

PS Thuney might get a 100000000 Zil. based on this year FA market payments and the idiots teams that paid!!

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

You also have Mathews coming up on a new contract. IMO you can't pay another guard big money when you can replace with cheap 1st year contracts. Unfortunately   we have pick 32 (sb winners Ha Ha) and the greatest value is OL based on mocks. I never consider the OL a waste with Brady.  Dalton Risner can play 3 positions. Cannon is one headache away from retiring or the DL. Building both lines is never a waste, especially if the player picked can possibly play 10+ years. My philosophy is to pick the best player on the board no matter what position with in reason of course.  You might not take a kicker in the 1st rd !

I agree just drafting on needs is not a good strategy. You need to find a good mix. That said I think the chances are high that a great defensive lineman will be available at 32 who can start immediately.

4 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I agree just drafting on needs is not a good strategy. You need to find a good mix. That said I think the chances are high that a great defensive lineman will be available at 32 who can start immediately.

Let say we agree to disagree. I would use Low 2nd and 3rd for DL.

https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-michael-dogbe-dt-temple

bottom of page list other DLs

PS most mocks show Simmons (no way, trouble) and Lawrence at 32.

9 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Like who? The only one I see at 32 is Simmons and Lawrence who is a 2 down player. Now if Wilkins fall that a different matter however IMO there is no way that happens.

12 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

There some truth to this however,  Wynn IMO was a need and the best player available. Matter of fact, I thought he was the 2nd best OL in that draft. i was dancing in my Living Room when we picked him!

1 hour ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Looks like Pats are closing in on a multi-year deal with Gostkowski. I think we have like $2million in cap space at the moment so some other moves will need to happen soon... Brady extension or some unpopular cuts?

With the disparity at the Kicker position these days, I'm shocked nobody has scooped him up yet....

Archived