Rebuilding the Patriots

Elky

I mean, but he made it. After seeing how many bad kickers there are in the league, are we really going to criticize a guy for "nearly" missing a field goal? He's been one of the all time greats. People act like kickers like him are easy to find on the streets, good luck with that.

The off-season  -and I'm sure many other posters on this forum feel the same- is my favorite part for discussion purposes. It's SO much better coming off a SB victory vs. painful loss, I might add. I just have a gut feeling that this isn't going to be a quiet off-season. I said before the SB - win or lose- this is going to be an off-season full of changes and big moves. I can feel it. Some random thoughts/comments:

RB: I think this is a need that people will overlook, but they really need to bring in someone else. You could tell they liked Hill coming into the year. They need one more guy for their rotation. Michel had an outstanding rookie season, and I know that this off-season will have two focuses for him: 1) get healthy, and 2) get involved as a receiver. Even the RB's coach (Ivan Fears) has hinted at this with his comments. He was a decent receiving back at Georgia, so I think he has it in him. Burkhead cannot be relied on to stay healthy. White can't shoulder a big load, they put him on a pitch count in the middle of the season, because at one point he had a giant workload.

Safety: This could end up being another big need. McCourty could retire. So could Chung. Either way, they aren't getting any younger. And something that flew under the radar this post-season, was how they phased out Harmon. His snap numbers were way down, and they used Jones. Now that could have been for speed purposes, but safety could really end up being a big need pretty quickly.

By far the two biggest goals for this off season are 1) bring back Flowers at whatever cost and 2) revamp the WR corps. Both are musts if we want to compete for #7.

I agree that replacing Gost would be a risk - a big risk, we've all seen seasons ruined by bad kicking - but he's not an all time great kicker. He WAS an all-time great kicker, but then something happened. I don't know why, but that missed XP in Denver in 2015 did something to his mind, he's not been the same since. He's no longer automatic, just very good. Plus he's missed some important kicks.

His missed XP in Miami cost us the game, HFA and potentially the season (luckily it didn't). He missed an XP in SB51 which means they needed two 2pt tries to tie it up. He missed FGs in SB 52 and 53, the first of which cost them the game.

I'm not definitely in favour of replacing him, but there is an argument to be made for it.

Hogan has to go, or stay on as a cheap 5th/6th option. He's just not very good. I don't recall him being open except on busted coverages or trick plays. He can't be relied upon as a 2nd WR, definitely.

I don't think Will Grier is going to be a great NFL QB, but if any team can draft and develop him, it might be the Pats. Grier has solid accuracy and can get the ball out quick, and the Pats can iron out his mechanical issues. The main thing, though, is that Grier is at his best reading looks before the snap and throwing based on those. The Pats use a lot of motions and formations that can tell the quarterback what's going on in the defense, and the Pats can let Grier have a year or two or whatever to work on moving through his progressions after the snap. If Grier is around come round 4-5, he's a decent value that I might take a chance on.

On 5.2.2019 at 1:02 PM, 1ForTheThumb said:

I mean, but he made it. After seeing how many bad kickers there are in the league, are we really going to criticize a guy for "nearly" missing a field goal? He's been one of the all time greats. People act like kickers like him are easy to find on the streets, good luck with that.

The off-season  -and I'm sure many other posters on this forum feel the same- is my favorite part for discussion purposes. It's SO much better coming off a SB victory vs. painful loss, I might add. I just have a gut feeling that this isn't going to be a quiet off-season. I said before the SB - win or lose- this is going to be an off-season full of changes and big moves. I can feel it. Some random thoughts/comments:

RB: I think this is a need that people will overlook, but they really need to bring in someone else. You could tell they liked Hill coming into the year. They need one more guy for their rotation. Michel had an outstanding rookie season, and I know that this off-season will have two focuses for him: 1) get healthy, and 2) get involved as a receiver. Even the RB's coach (Ivan Fears) has hinted at this with his comments. He was a decent receiving back at Georgia, so I think he has it in him. Burkhead cannot be relied on to stay healthy. White can't shoulder a big load, they put him on a pitch count in the middle of the season, because at one point he had a giant workload.

Safety: This could end up being another big need. McCourty could retire. So could Chung. Either way, they aren't getting any younger. And something that flew under the radar this post-season, was how they phased out Harmon. His snap numbers were way down, and they used Jones. Now that could have been for speed purposes, but safety could really end up being a big need pretty quickly.

By far the two biggest goals for this off season are 1) bring back Flowers at whatever cost and 2) revamp the WR corps. Both are musts if we want to compete for #7.

overthecap has Flowers at 80/5. Not sure I would be comfortable with that cap number.

Archived