Rebuilding the Patriots

Elky

You can’t rely on Gordon. I expect the entire WR/TE corps to be revamped. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone whose name isn’t Julian Edelman is gone by opening night this year. 

Id look into trading for Cameron Brate on the Bucs. They have OJ Howard and Brate is one of the best redzone threats in football the last 3 seasons. 

I think some pressing needs for next season will be a reliable tight end to replace Gronk, a deep threat WR to replace Gordon, and more media coverage of people doubting and/or hating them. I am reasonably confident they will obtain all three. :D 

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Odell Beckham wants to join the Pats so bad, I can sense it.

What are his cap hits again? I can't really see it happening... Brown would make sense if the Steelers were willing to trade (which they wouldn't be, of course), but not OBJ IMO. I guess you could make more of an argument for it if Gronk retired, but that's still a lot of money that could go towards resigning Trey Flowers or Trent Brown or another LB or like 4 other depth WRs...

Would be fun to see though, especially if we kept Gronk.

32 minutes ago, biggbrd said:

What are his cap hits again? I can't really see it happening... Brown would make sense if the Steelers were willing to trade (which they wouldn't be, of course), but not OBJ IMO. I guess you could make more of an argument for it if Gronk retired, but that's still a lot of money that could go towards resigning Trey Flowers or Trent Brown or another LB or like 4 other depth WRs...

Would be fun to see though, especially if we kept Gronk.

Well Gronk is coming back, and I could see a big trade for OBJ. If the yearly salary isn't bad then I think it will happen. I'd still like to see Adam Humphries sign though and Gordon come back healthy. I'd welcome Danny Amendola back too but he seems like he won't be.

Post-June 1st, the Giants can trade OBJ and save $17 million in cap space and Pats can trade Dont'a Hightower and save $8 million. Through in Joe Thuney and a second round pick and I think the Giants would have to be thrilled. They get cap space they desperately need, they rebuild, add a left guard Nate Solder is familiar with and move Will Hernandez over to the right where he can thrive as a run blocker. On defense the Giants get a huge boost in leadership and talent they have no other way of finding it would seem.

The Patriots meanwhile replace Hightower with JaWuan Bentley and add a critical component to their team at wide receiver where the depth is lacking. In addition, the Patriots get some cap space to be able to afford the re-signings Trent Brown and Trey Flowers, and maybe even Gostkowski (although meh, they should do better/the same cheaper).

It's a win-win for the Giants, Patriots, and all players involved and there are some picks to spare this year. I say go for it and bring in OBJ, one of the only players I'd feel okay giving Hightower away for.

Hightower isn't the player he used to be (at least he was not that this season) but he still is a player who came up huge in 3 Super Bowls and is a team leader. I don't think NE will even attempt to trade for OBJ but if they will I would be okay giving up Hightower.

If I'm New England I try and trade for AJ Green. He has a lower cap hit of 12 million in his last year with the Bengals and Cincy is in rebuilding mode with a new coach. AJ Green will be 31 and the Bengals will need a few years to get back to being relevant.

And the only way Gronk comes back is if he agrees to a MASSIVE paycut. Remember BB wanted to trade him last offseason but he threatened to retire. I don’t see him taking the cut and his body has failed him so I think he’ll just hang it up. 

13 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Hightower isn't the player he used to be (at least he was not that this season) but he still is a player who came up huge in 3 Super Bowls and is a team leader. I don't think NE will even attempt to trade for OBJ but if they will I would be okay giving up Hightower.

If I'm New England I try and trade for AJ Green. He has a lower cap hit of 12 million in his last year with the Bengals and Cincy is in rebuilding mode with a new coach. AJ Green will be 31 and the Bengals will need a few years to get back to being relevant.

NBT would cream himself

On 2/14/2019 at 4:13 PM, IheartMyV8 said:

I thought we released Mitchell with an injury settlement or did I misread at some point?

On 2/14/2019 at 4:34 PM, DoleINGout said:

I'm with you. Pretty sure he was released and he announced his retirement. The Pats already been on the hook for part of his contract this season.

Gordon on the other hand will be back.

Yes, he was released, but I hope he can come back (it's a longshot). He did not retire.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4816718/after-10-surgeries-malcolm-mitchell-still-hopes-to-return-to-nfl

Archived