Rebuilding the Patriots

Elky

10 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

Yes, he was released, but I hope he can come back (it's a longshot). He did not retire.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4816718/after-10-surgeries-malcolm-mitchell-still-hopes-to-return-to-nfl

I recall him filing a grievance against the Pats for something though, so I'm thinking if he does come back there may be some bad blood there

since tomorrow is really the first day the off-season starts with franchise-tags being used I was looking at some draft boards and FAs to see how I would structure the 2019 Patriots:

QB: Brady, Hoyer. No change. Brady extends until 2022 and lowers his caphit from 27 to 20-21 million for 2019.

RB: Michel, White, Burkhead, Develin, FA/UDFA/late draft pick. The first 4 remain and another power RB is added. Not convinced it's Hill though but someone on minimum salary.

WR: AJ Green, Edelman, rookie, Dorsett, Patterson, Slater. Dorsett and Patterson remain with the Patriots while AJ Green gets traded to NE for a 2nd round pick.

TE: Gronkowski, rookie, Izzo. Gronk restructures and a rookie replaces Allen who gets cut. Izzo replaces Hollister.

OT: Wynn, Waddle, Cannon, trade. Brown will get a 12+ APY offer and we don't match. Instead we trade for another OT with a 3rd or 4th round pick of 2020.

OG: Mason, Thuney, Schwenke. No change here.

OC: Andrews, Karras. No change.

DE: Flowers, Rivers, Wise, rookie. I think Flowers will be extended after listening to some other offers for about 5 years/75 million. Clayborn gets cut for caproom purposes.

DT: Butler, Guy, rookie, FA. Don't think Shelton or Brown return. 

LB: Hightower, Roberts, van Noy, Bentley, King, rookie

CB: Gilmore, Jackson, Crossen/UDFA, Dawson, Jones. I think McCourty does not return, Dawson takes his spot. Jones gets the 2nd round tender and returns.

S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon, rookie, Obi, Ebner. I think McCourty returns but on a restructured deal. A rookie draft pick as understudy.

LS: Cardona

K: Gostkowski

P: Allen

Will be an interesting 4 weeks in front of us.

2 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Iowa Hawkeyes fan here, would you be ok with the Pats taking Hockenson or Fant with their 1st round pick, and do you expect them to take a TE early? 

I think there are a lot of good free agents they will look at plus Ryan Izzo seems promising on the practice squad and Gronk will be back.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

I feel more and more each day that Trey Flowers is getting a huge deal elsewhere and the only hope for the Pats is to sign an alternative like Shaq Barrett which honestly I wouldn't be upset about even if Flowers is better.

And to add to this feeling, I think more and more that Trent Brown is coming back the closer we get to FA. Gostkowski is probably back as well but I won't be thrilled about that one.

Archived