Update: Justin Fields transferring to Ohio State

naptownskinsfan

30 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It’s from insiders not common knowledge. I listen to the Kyle Lamb Unscripted Ohio podcast. He was talking about it this week and how the staff has continuously had to convince him to stay. 

Early on yeah I could see that. Especially when Haskins looked good but not QB1 ‘19 draft good. Prolly had thoughts of transferring if Haskins was coming back. If Tate wants to  ever sniff the NFL he needs to have at least 2 years of legit play on tape. 

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

He wont' be eligible until 2020 though, right?

He's going to appeal his eligibility and will likely win, so expect him to be ready to play this year. 

As Georgia Bulldogs quarterback Justin Fields considers his transfer options, he is reportedly seeking a waiver from the NCAA to play at his new school immediately rather than have to sit out a season.

Yahoo Sports' Pat Forde reported on Friday that Fields' waiver request will focus on Fields being the target of a racial slur from a member of the Bulldogs baseball team during a football game in September. 

First baseman Adam Sasser was later dismissed from the baseball team for making the remarks. Sasser tweeted in October that he and Fields were on "good terms" after having a conversation following the incident.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813941-report-justin-fields-seeking-immediate-eligibility-over-racial-slurs-at-georgia

This is going to be dumb saying this, but has their been a previous case like this before where someone transferred due to similar reasons and was eligible immediately? Obviously not saying it's not warranted, just curious if there is basis for it from previous events? I won't pretend this is a great world all the time where stuff like this doesn't happen.

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This is going to be dumb saying this, but has their been a previous case like this before where someone transferred due to similar reasons and was eligible immediately? Obviously not saying it's not warranted, just curious if there is basis for it from previous events? I won't pretend this is a great world all the time where stuff like this doesn't happen.

If there has been I haven't heard of it - however, it seems likely that the NCAA would rather not dive into this hole and would rather just waive the period, IMO.

That incident has zero reason Fields transferred and everyone knows it. Total cop out of he’s eligible to play in 2019, but that’s society, and he and OSU could benefit here because of it. Not at all condoning what happened there. 

But I have only ever heard of NCAA violations, medical issues, as reasons for immediate eligibility. 

The one thing I’m wondering is if Fields is granted eligibility with that situation, couldn’t it open Pandora’s box with guys who seem to be on their way out the door, making claims, knowing it could work for eligibility? I know with Fields it was obviously credible. Just a thought. 

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The one thing I’m wondering is if Fields is granted eligibility with that situation, couldn’t it open Pandora’s box with guys who seem to be on their way out the door, making claims, knowing it could work for eligibility? I know with Fields it was obviously credible. Just a thought. 

I think the big thing here is that school actually dimissed the player for his actions, so clearly this isn't just a he said/she said scenario. I think the NCAA is going to look to stay away from this all together. 

30 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It’s from insiders not common knowledge. I listen to the Kyle Lamb Unscripted Ohio podcast. He was talking about it this week and how the staff has continuously had to convince him to stay. 

Early on yeah I could see that. Especially when Haskins looked good but not QB1 ‘19 draft good. Prolly had thoughts of transferring if Haskins was coming back. If Tate wants to  ever sniff the NFL he needs to have at least 2 years of legit play on tape. 

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

That incident has zero reason Fields transferred and everyone knows it. Total cop out of he’s eligible to play in 2019, but that’s society, and he and OSU could benefit here because of it. Not at all condoning what happened there. 

But I have only ever heard of NCAA violations, medical issues, as reasons for immediate eligibility. 

How do you know though, not a good take. What if he was brought up not to tolerate that type of behavior and became sour on the school? He probably is leaving for football related issues but to sweep what happened under the rug as if it isn't a significant factor for not wanting be at that university is flat out wrong.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

The one thing I’m wondering is if Fields is granted eligibility with that situation, couldn’t it open Pandora’s box with guys who seem to be on their way out the door, making claims, knowing it could work for eligibility? I know with Fields it was obviously credible. Just a thought

Archived