Josh Gordon Stepping Away from Football

The Gnat

Such a shame. Such wasted talent. I truly believe he could have gone down as one of the best ever if it weren't for his off the field issues.

If it's true that he failed a test, then I hope he's able to get his life together even if he'll never play in the NFL again.

The weed policy for the NFL is really, really dumb.  But, it's the policy.  And for Gordon, this means it's his 6th-7th positive/missed test, as he never was arrested/convicted (or plea deal - the only way you skip the 4 failed/missed tests to even get 4 games).   So while the policy is unbelievably dumb,  it's hard to be sympathetic to anyone who has to break the rules 6-7x to get to this stage.  

Frankly, I would not be surprised now that his time with NE is likely up that we will find out that this summer's "step away" was in fact a league-agreed alternative to another penalty, for something like missing a test or an off-field incident that was covered up (obviously, the league would have gotten into a huge firestorm if it didn't enforce an actual positive test, but hey, I rule nothing out with them lol).   Such a waste of talent, but zero sympathy, he had his chances & threw them away.

Sad. Hopefully he can figure out his mental health issues, though it seems his football career is over.

It will be near impossible for the Patriots to replace his production this late in the season. Patterson just doesn't open up the field the way Gordon did. Gordon was their leading receiver in yards in 11 games, and that's with very little production his first two games. Ouch.

Feel like the mental health is a cop out. Word comes out he will be punished by the NFL for violating his terms of his reinstatement and he steps away for other reasons. 

It’s a great way to control the narrative on his part, I’ll give him that. 

The guy clearly hasn't hit rock bottom yet. Until he does and starts taking responsibility for his life and admitting that he actually has a problem instead of conveniently controlling the narrative and checking himself into rehab for like 2-3 days at a time just to pay lip service to the media/fans, he won't ever get it and this will only end badly.

Just now, TypicalBrowns10 said:

"WE GOT HIM FOR A 5TH!:D:D" - every Patriots fan ever.

As a browns fan I don't feel bad for him. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me 3748595 times....

Honestly every single person on twitter saying "How could the rest of the NFL let the Patriots get Gordon for a 5th" should be eating crow right now...

Archived